Author Topic: Why hasn't Desire been played more often?  (Read 1589 times)

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
Why hasn't Desire been played more often?
« on: September 01, 2011, 10:54:44 AM »
Desire is one of my favorites.  While it has been played on every tour since its release, it hasn't been a fixture within the main set since Zooropa 93 (Europe).  I think Desire is one of those songs that can be succesfully reinvented live.  They proved that during ZOO TV.  Still, when we here it nowadays it's usually an acoustic/B-Stage performance. 

Why do they resist performing a full band drum intensive version of this greatest hit?

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
Re: Why hasn't Desire been played more often?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 03:16:49 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Desire is one of my favorites.  While it has been played on every tour since its release, it hasn't been a fixture within the main set since Zooropa 93 (Europe).  I think Desire is one of those songs that can be succesfully reinvented live.  They proved that during ZOO TV.  Still, when we here it nowadays it's usually an acoustic/B-Stage performance. 

Why do they resist performing a full band drum intensive version of this greatest hit?

On Lovetown they were using 2 drummers, Larry and unnanmed guy off at the side of the stage where he thought the camera wouldn't pick him up, and they routinely use drum loops so no reason they couldn't.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 10:10:02 AM »

On Lovetown they were using 2 drummers, Larry and unnanmed guy off at the side of the stage where he thought the camera wouldn't pick him up, and they routinely use drum loops so no reason they couldn't.

I totally thought you said "an unarmed guy" there. Quite an achievement for a drummer :D

Offline HEY!youtwo!

• Child of Grace
  • They'll want their money back if youre alive at 33
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 12:49:31 PM »

I totally thought you said "an unarmed guy" there. Quite an achievement for a drummer :D

def leopard anybody?  :D

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 05:15:33 PM »
It's one of their best rock songs and was a huge hit. It's amazing they don't play the full band version any more.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 05:21:31 PM »
It could be such an awesome live song or a boring interlude, which is what it's been for the last 18 years.

Why, oh why, did they open their shows with Beautiful Day when they could have opened with this.  ::)

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 07:12:47 PM »
It could be such an awesome live song or a boring interlude, which is what it's been for the last 18 years.

Why, oh why, did they open their shows with Beautiful Day when they could have opened with this.  ::)

A retooled ZOO TV era performance of Desire would have been a welcome addition to 360.  They should have scrapped HMTMKMKM and opened the encore with it.

It could've worked as the show opener too - no doubt about that.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 08:19:56 PM »

They should play it like THIS.

Power power and more power.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 10:40:04 AM »

Why, oh why, did they open their shows with Beautiful Day when they could have opened with this.  ::)

If you look up the audience video of the same song/show you'll see the other snare drummer stage left/audience right, almost hidden but not quite

HyperU2

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 11:47:56 AM »

Why, oh why, did they open their shows with Beautiful Day when they could have opened with this.  ::)

If you look up the audience video of the same song/show you'll see the other snare drummer stage left/audience right, almost hidden but not quite

I'm not sure that guy is playing anything other than tapping along.  If he's drumming it seems like he's on another song.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 05:27:30 PM »
Just as they missed an opportunity to release Stockholm, Washington or other Pro-shot Zz shows with the AB remaster, betcha this gem never finds it way to a restored 1st generation full show legal release

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 06:45:33 PM »
Just as they missed an opportunity to release Stockholm, Washington or other Pro-shot Zz shows with the AB remaster, betcha this gem never finds it way to a restored 1st generation full show legal release

It's like every performance of the song from Lovetown and ZooTV is just incredible. And somehow they completely butchered it and never played it up to that level. Its a shame.