Author Topic: If POP Was Considered A Huge Success - Would U2 Be A Different Band Now? And...  (Read 5103 times)

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Well yes, but they'd be a different band if any album's reception was very different to what it was, positive or negative.

If Passengers had been an interstellar, runaway success then they'd probably be the house band in Aphex Twin's ar*e by now.

dah hah hah! I guess it's good that it didn't go over that big! I kind of liked Passengers though.

Offline TheWaqman

• Headache in a Suitcase
I like to think of Pop as U2's "not as good Kid-A"

Offline justinluey

• Stateless
  • "Dream Out Loud, at high volume" - Bono
So going back to basics (ATYCLB) was a long time coming eh? That means that you hate AB & Zooropa as well. Quite a bit of U2 you dont like there folks.

How are the two mutually exclusive? I love AB, Zooropa, Passengers, and Pop. In fact they are my favorite U2 albums but I totally welcomed the back to basics approach. I love that U2 can operate on several levels and never make the same record twice.

I wrote this in a similar thread and it sums up how I feel.

"ATYCLB and HTDAAB is what it sounds like when U2 are in a room playing music together as a band. AB, Zooropa, and Pop is what it sounds like when great artists are crafting songs. I'm glad we have both. Very few bands in history have been able to do it."

There is no doubt that ATYCLB was a deliberate new direction for the band, the only thing in question is the motivation. Many here seem to think it was commercial but I completely disagree. U2 had massive commercial success between AB and Pop and they have no history of chasing commercial success. I think these points are hard to argue against but I respect those of you who disagree.

For me, no other band in history has done it better longer. I'll ask again, what other bands are or were still relevant and making records that compared to their best after almost 30 years?

An Cat Dubh

So going back to basics (ATYCLB) was a long time coming eh? That means that you hate AB & Zooropa as well. Quite a bit of U2 you dont like there folks.

How are the two mutually exclusive? I love AB, Zooropa, Passengers, and Pop. In fact they are my favorite U2 albums but I totally welcomed the back to basics approach. I love that U2 can operate on several levels and never make the same record twice.

I wrote this in a similar thread and it sums up how I feel.

"ATYCLB and HTDAAB is what it sounds like when U2 are in a room playing music together as a band. AB, Zooropa, and Pop is what it sounds like when great artists are crafting songs. I'm glad we have both. Very few bands in history have been able to do it."

There is no doubt that ATYCLB was a deliberate new direction for the band, the only thing in question is the motivation. Many here seem to think it was commercial but I completely disagree. U2 had massive commercial success between AB and Pop and they have no history of chasing commercial success. I think these points are hard to argue against but I respect those of you who disagree.

For me, no other band in history has done it better longer. I'll ask again, what other bands are or were still relevant and making records that compared to their best after almost 30 years?

An here is my earlier post on the subject. I was questioning jick.
yukona, it wasn't you my post was aimed at, sorry. I agree with you. Although All That You Cant Leave Behind and How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb are not my favorite albums, I do like them, they contain some fantastic songs. Yes, the 90's were extremely experimental for U2, but it was an experiment they HAD to do, and it was U2's most daring period in their history with regards to developing themselves as musicians.
So, I totally understand why they wanted to get back to the '4 musicians making great music with just their instruments' for the early part of this decade. I do think though, even though they state this as the main reason for the 'safe' ATYCLB & HTDAAB, that there were other reasons - maily the fact that they panicked a little after Pop as they felt they were 'not relevant' any more and their popularity had diminished somewhat. They also felt they needed to 'widen' their fan base and attract some more younger fans.
All good things though in the incredible longeivity of U2, and I opologize for questioning your judgement, as you say, not right or wrong - absoultely, opinions and taste are what this is all about.
Thankfully, from what I've heard so far, U2 have taken everything they have learned over their whole history into account for No Line On The Horizon. Experimentation, risks, back to basics, 4 guys playing music, production, influences, new sounds and recording techniques etc, etc. I think we are all in for a treat.

Offline Bono in Bonolands

• Numb
If POP was a success then ATYLB would have been more out there. Not necessarily more successfull.

ATYLB had the gun hit song BD so it would still have been a huge success.

Offline Chip

• Numb
  • "Hey, I've been waiting to get home a long time"
It wouldn't have been much different. The irony and even lyrical/poetic sophistication so much part of the U2 in the '90s (and which I, for one, loved so much) was out of fashion by 2000. As Bono said when ATYCLB came out -- and he really did read the times well here -- people weren't in the mood for spending a lot of time figuring out lyrics, which you needed to do with '90s U2. People wanted something much more direct, and Bono became the most direct lyricist he had ever been in the band's history for ATYCLB and HTDAAB. Out went most of the poetry, in came heart-on-your-sleeve statements and even obvious encouragement and exhortations to listeners (e.g., "Walk On," "Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own"). It was such a shift that many of the songs from the band's early days look lyrically complicated when compared with many of the tracks on the last two albums.

But even more importantly, there was obviously some major spiritual renewal among the band members in the years between Pop and ATYCLB. Bono's own renewal is obvious on both ATYCLB and HTDAAB, coupled with a never-seen-before sense of mortality (particularly on ATYCLB). Obviously, a good deal of this had to do with his father's illness and death, but it seems to go beyond that as well. And it seems to have affected the rest of the band members to some degree; suddenly, Adam started talking about God in interviews (by the time of HTDAAB, at least).

The band might have not abandoned so much of its musical experimentation if not for the relative downturn with Pop, but otherwise, yeah, I think we would have seen pretty much what we got.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
Poor SeniorEmblem,

always getting his opinions SHOT down!

Opinions CAN'T be shot down, they are my opinions and are right, for me.

Pop WAS a huge success, unless you don't think selling approx 8 Million albums and playing to millions a "failure"

::) ::) ::)

Pop was a success - for other artists but not for U2's standards.  They have repeatedly mentioned their disappointment at its failure to get a hit single or its America sales.

Cheers,

J

Offline jick

• Precious Stone

I never said I didn't like Achtung Baby and Zooropa.  There is a world of difference between those two albums and POP.  The sales figures show that too.  More people bought Achtung Baby - so does that mean those who did not buy POP didn't like Achtung?  I don't think so.  That is a sweeping generalization you have their.  U2 have never claimed Achtung or Zooropa to be unfinished.

Cheers,

J

• Numb

Im beginning to think NLOTH will be like POP in that there will be no super single. You need a kick ar*e single these days for an album to be Mega.

An Cat Dubh

I never said I didn't like Achtung Baby and Zooropa.  There is a world of difference between those two albums and POP.  The sales figures show that too.  More people bought Achtung Baby - so does that mean those who did not buy POP didn't like Achtung?  I don't think so.  That is a sweeping generalization you have their.  U2 have never claimed Achtung or Zooropa to be unfinished.

Cheers,

J

Hey Hey Jick, hows it going buddy. Where have you been all day. Been holding a few 'U2 Science' classes for your newbie Padawan learners. Be careful though, dont let them know you are actaully Darth Jick.

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't

Cheers,

J

Hey Hey Jick, hows it going buddy. Where have you been all day. Been holding a few 'U2 Science' classes for your newbie Padawan learners. Be careful though, dont let them know you are actaully Darth Jick.

He's in the Philippines, so he's 16 hours ahead, and he's in a different space-time continuum from most u2 fans, he's in th eone where the band's opinion matter more than the individual person's.

An Cat Dubh

Cheers,

J

He's in the Philippines, so he's 16 hours ahead, and he's in a different space-time continuum from most u2 fans, he's in th eone where the band's opinion matter more than the individual person's.

:D :D :D :D

Offline Nagrom99

• Numb
  • I'm 25, trying to stay alive.....
who know's?

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
I like to think of Pop as U2's "not as good Kid-A"

interesting. I think POP is just as good, really. Just that people expect and want Radiohead to be 'weird' for lack of a better word. feeling sleeeeepy. Seems people especially fans get all riled up about U2 if it's not what they expected. And the band don't help themselves either. POP is so underrated IMO. Kid A was pretty brilliant, FTR. And I love 'In Rainbows'...it's the 1st album I love by them. I respect all their albums though.

• Numb
After all, it is Friday the 13th.