Author Topic: If POP Was Considered A Huge Success - Would U2 Be A Different Band Now? And...  (Read 5107 times)

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
and so it is! there is a friday the 13th next month too. muy interesante!

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I like to think of Pop as U2's "not as good Kid-A"

interesting. I think POP is just as good, really. Just that people expect and want Radiohead to be 'weird' for lack of a better word. feeling sleeeeepy. Seems people especially fans get all riled up about U2 if it's not what they expected. And the band don't help themselves either. POP is so underrated IMO. Kid A was pretty brilliant, FTR. And I love 'In Rainbows'...it's the 1st album I love by them. I respect all their albums though.

POP is better than Kid A, In Rainbows or OK Computer, but pales when compared to AB, JT, or ATYCLB.

Cheers,

J

Offline Bono in Bonolands

• Numb
and so it is! there is a friday the 13th next month too. muy interesante!

two friday the 13ths in a row. Cool.

Offline Yggdrasille

• Refugee
I think that the band would have changed their musical direction regardless of whether Pop was commercially successful or not. By that album, their 90s sound and the whole "ironic" thing had run its course. Would they have made ATYCLB? Who knows. I love that album, and I think there's too much genuine feeling in it to be a mere cynical attempt to win back popularity, but U2 are not a band who are happy to tinker in their corner outside world be damned. They do care about connecting with the masses and they worked hard on this with ATYCLB, no doubt.

• Numb
I think if POP was a success, the next U2 album would have been  all Austrian piano accordion music and you would have had to listen to it while eating strudel.

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
strudel can be yummy! I used to get my strudel at Zabar's on the upper west side, Manhattan. Ya know Bono's got a place up there. Never seen him around though. maybe i should send him some strudel!

Offline Lesmo

• Party Girl/Boy
Pop WAS a huge success, both commercially and artistically

I love you, would you marry me?

• Numb
we can have the ceremony on Valentine's Day.

Offline Lesmo

• Party Girl/Boy
we can have the ceremony on Valentine's Day.

*Love Story's main title on the background*

Offline xtrmntr

• Stateless
I've always thought about this myself.  Although I love the album, I don't think it was viewed as a success in the US.  From the bad opening night show in Vegas, to that disastrous Pop show on ABC that had the lowest ratings ever, it seemed everything tied to the album failed.  I don't blame the group for this as the whole record industry was going through some weird times at the time.  Remember that the industry was looking for the next big thing and everyone was hyping up electronica.  I got attached to the group during this time and would have loved it if the band kept changing things up.  I'm not saying I wanted another Pop or Zooropa, but something different like they had been doing the previous 15 years.  Not the bland/generic stuff that followed with the next two albums. 

Offline Lesmo

• Party Girl/Boy
Does any of you have " A year in pop"?

• Numb
I have a lifetime in drag.