Author Topic: U2 and the Virgin Prunes  (Read 2893 times)

andyt

U2 and the Virgin Prunes
« on: February 11, 2009, 12:39:15 PM »

U2 owe a lot of their theatrics to the Virgin Prunes. Singer Gavin Friday remains a good friend of Bono's and Edge's brother was in the band for a time.

Check out some of their music - it's probably too avant garde for most U2 fans but they are way more interesting...

Offline julesport

• Holy Joe
  • Free yourself to be yourself...
Re: U2 and the Virgin Prunes
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 02:15:54 PM »
I follow Gavin Friday on twitter!!

InThisHeartland

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 04:50:48 PM »
what does avant garde mean?

joegtheog

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 04:53:01 PM »
"The Last Song I'll Ever Sing" is truly a great song by Mr. Friday; and one cannot forget his awesome rap in "In the Name of the Father"

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 04:54:29 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
what does avant garde mean?

It's a euphemism for "tuneless crap"

"Avant garde" is like when some famous artist spills some paint and art critics see the embodiment of the suffering of humanity and the human spirit's strength in overcoming it. The rest of us just see spilled paint.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 05:08:04 PM by JuniorEmblem »

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 05:03:46 PM »
Im sure when StrongGirl reads this thread she will be able to add a lot more (constructive) comments on this topic. She is the @U2 Forum's resident Prunes expert and she will be able to provide us with any information you want on Gavin Friday et all.

Over to you SG  :-* where are you?

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 05:07:49 PM »
Im sure when StrongGirl reads this thread she will be able to add a lot more (constructive) comments on this topic. She is the @U2 Forum's resident Prunes expert and she will be able to provide us with any information you want on Gavin Friday et all.

Oh I don't have a problem with the Prunes, I have a problem with being patronized due to my obviously lower functioning cerebral systems not being able to understand the obviously way-too-complicated world of the self-appointed "avant garde".

It's like when unfunnny 'comedians' re-brand themselves as 'performance art'. Yes Rollins, I'm talkin' 'bout you !!!

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 05:12:25 PM »

Oh I don't have a problem with the Prunes, I have a problem with being patronized due to my obviously lower functioning cerebral systems not being able to understand the obviously way-too-complicated world of the self-appointed "avant garde".

It's like when unfunnny 'comedians' re-brand themselves as 'performance art'. Yes Rollins, I'm talkin' 'bout you !!!

Hey Junior, I wasn't having a go at you. I was just trying to educate all our newbies and younger fans in how to go about finding the right resouces on a certain subject  :D :D :D :D :D

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 05:13:40 PM »

Hey Junior, I wasn't having a go at you. I was just trying to educate all our newbies and younger fans in how to go about finding the right resouces on a certain subject  :D :D :D :D :D

I thought it was obvious. Ask Jick !

;D

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 05:16:58 PM »

;D

Its probably all on page 265 of U2 by U2!

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 05:20:54 PM »

;D

Nah it's on page Betazoid Laundromat of "Yes we have no bananas" by Insincere lighthouse real madrid

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 05:21:55 PM »

;D

Nah it's on page Betazoid Laundromat of "Yes we have no bananas" by Insincere lighthouse real madrid

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Now we definitely need SG to get back to the thread  ;)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 07:18:18 PM by Zoostavox »

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 09:14:01 PM »
I just found it zoo! Dark Angel loves them too. Well it is no secret here how much I love the Prunes-check out my name and picture! I definitely think they are not everyone's cup of tea but were one of the most unique bands ever. I think they were nothing short of amazing. I still follow Dave-id's solo stuff and Guggi's art career. I am a huge fan of Gavin Friday and think he is nothing short of genius. If I Die is the album that is most easily digested if trying them out for the first time. A New Form of Beauty is considered by a lot of fans to be their masterpiece.  I am trying to get them on Temple Bar's Hall of Fame in Dublin. I have a thread on here and Gavin's site to get people to vote for them. They should be on that wall which has Ireland's best musicians on there. They didn't get accepted in their homeland  the way they did in the rest of Europe. Oh well-if anyone has any interest in them or any questions, I'd love to talk all about them with you!

Oh and andy-the Prunes are very different from U2. But I love the fact that they are so different and remain such good friends all these years. They are always bouncing ideas off each other but you are right-I believe a lot of the theatrics does come from Gavin & his Prune days. I really love and respect both bands as different as they are.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 10:22:10 PM by StrongGirl »

Offline Lesmo

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 09:57:45 AM »

U2 owe a lot of their theatrics to the Virgin Prunes. Singer Gavin Friday remains a good friend of Bono's and Edge's brother was in the band for a time.

Check out some of their music - it's probably too avant garde for most U2 fans but they are way more interesting...

And he/she/it Genesis P-Orridge from Throbbing Gristle was an influence on the prunes... I guess that's why they sound so strange...

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 12:51:19 PM »

And he/she/it Genesis P-Orridge from Throbbing Gristle was an influence on the prunes... I guess that's why they sound so strange...

And Genesis is a huge fan of the Prunes. He contributed to their book Faculties of a Broken Heart which is now out of print.