Author Topic: From the Sky Down - BBC1  (Read 21160 times)

Offline Silver Lining

• Refugee
Re: From the Sky Down - BBC1
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2011, 01:37:01 PM »
Don't mind the smart alecs - the deluxe set isn't out until the end of the month so hardly anyone has seen this documentary yet! I, for one, am looking forward to it.

There was plenty of discussion about glasto, and comparisons with coldplays set, at the time. Personally, I think the biggest factor was the weather. The important thing seems to me if you enjoyed it yourself or not - if you did then who cares what other bands did on a different night?

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2011, 04:53:01 PM »
That was awesome, I'm buzzing.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2011, 04:54:48 PM »
Just watched it - very interesting. Performances of Wild Horses and Love is Blindness, as well as a raw performance of One. It's very cool to hear them creating mysterious ways, and to hear the main riff from One being created. It's played as Bono (in 2011) listens in, and realises that it's one, and the look on his face is pretty awesome  ;D
Also a fantastic performance of EBTTRT at Glastonbury. Obviously very heavily edited (changed the intro, and seems kind of sped up), but it is incredible nonetheless!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 05:17:08 PM by JamietheEdgefan »

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2011, 04:54:56 PM »
It was amazing!!!! Shame only One was really featured. That love is blindness take was haunting too. Hearing the bridge for the first time was great, can't wait to own this.

Offline yellowhat

• Numb
  • Between the horses..........literally.
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2011, 04:55:25 PM »
OMG! It was so good! Cant wait to see it again coz I missed first 10 min. Edge singing LIB :'(

Offline Falling At Your Feet

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2011, 04:59:20 PM »
Just watched the film on BBC.

It seeemd a very genuine, and honest depiction of the effort/stress the band went through to get where they wanted to go. Plenty of footage of the band in Berlin at Hansa studios, and also Dublin, where the bulk of the sessions took place. A great look at how One started from a chord progression duing a version of Mysterious ways, to the band realising something was there, and the frantic effort to continue and get something down. The film has the actual recording of the session where One first started. Of course even after the Berlin sessions, many of the songs were still fairly raw and uncompleted.

There was also some very interesting rehersals of AB songs on a theatre stage, including Edge doing Love Is Blindness on his own.

Will need to watch this again, but I was fairly impressed with this documentary.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 05:03:42 PM by Falling At Your Feet »

Offline ormy28

• Babyface
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2011, 04:59:42 PM »
Was pretty interesting, but I doubt anyone who isn't that well up on the history of U2 or Achtung Baby specifically would have a clue what they were talking about about half the time.

I hope that more upbeat version of So Cruel is included on the re-issue. Also, I thought the early cut of Mysterious Ways sounded pretty good. Would have never thought that One was spawned from it though.

Offline kev346

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I'm ready I'm ready for the laughing gas
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2011, 05:01:18 PM »
WOW ! what a great documentary . have to let it all sink in first. Loved The Edge playing Love Is Blindness solo ..so touching . And amazing to see how One developed out of the bridge in Mysterious Ways .
will have to watch it again and comment more .
If you haven't seen it yet i highly recommend you do :)

Offline mrbono

• Stateless
  • I'm the light you can't always see
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2011, 05:05:02 PM »
I loved the version of Wild Horses played at the start

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2011, 05:09:34 PM »
It was a very good documentary, and I don't normally watch U2 - only listen to them - but I found it very inspirational.

Seeing the four of them walking through Berlin in 2011, I can't help but think: yeah, I wouldn't mind hanging out with those guys.

Jara

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2011, 05:13:49 PM »
I preffered the second half of the docu.....when they got down to the nitty gritty about the album. Too much of the footage in the first half i had seen before, apart from a few R&H scenes. I was hoping more for a Classic Albums approach, more about the composition of the album, but alas, it wasnt to be.
Some cool sounding alternative versions of songs like WGRYWH and So Cruel. Mibees these are the versions to be included in the box sets?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2011, 05:20:36 PM »
I realised for the first time - Duh!!! - that the lyrics in One - We're one but we're not the same, we get to carry each other, carry each other - were about the band themselves. 

Offline ciaz

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2011, 05:25:35 PM »
Available on iPlayer now - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2011, 05:27:54 PM »
Beautifully shot but a little jumbled at the beginning (trying to cram all the 80's in a short amount of time). Must have been a little confusing for the casual fan as it went back and forth between various band members and associates from various interviews in different eras rushing through the band history. For a while, the film didn't seem to know who to go to next but it really got into it's stride upon landing in Berlin. 

As above, highlights were the beginnings of One (I would love that real time recording they used), Love Is Blindness, the modern day take on So Cruel, the real feeling of tension, footage I've never seen before and other personal bits like Bono giving Ali the Kraftwerk album. The R+H outtakes and footage from Hansa / Dublin shows how much revealing stuff there still is out there.

The not so good bits were the recycled stuff like the Unforgettable Fire documentary, very little 2011 Adam and no 2011 Larry to camera! I thought this project would have given a more equal screen time to all 4 guys.

Offline ryanm

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2011, 05:29:08 PM »
I really want to see this.  Unfortunately the iPlayer version is available only in the UK.  Anyone know if it's available for purchase/download anywhere in the US?  I know it will be in the deluxe box release, but will it every be available stand alone?