Author Topic: From the Sky Down - BBC1  (Read 21080 times)

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
Re: From the Sky Down - BBC1
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2011, 05:34:59 PM »
Can we merge with news + rumors thread?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2011, 05:40:31 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I preffered the second half of the docu.....when they got down to the nitty gritty about the album. Too much of the footage in the first half i had seen before, apart from a few R&H scenes.

I hadn't seen quite a lot of the footage in the early part, but in any case I thought it provided the context to show just how significant the big 're-invention' really was for the band at the time.  Like Bono says at the end: in between the end of the 80's U2 and Achtung Baby, they were nothing, and they risked everything.

I was hoping more for a Classic Albums approach, more about the composition of the album, but alas, it wasnt to be.

I thought it was a similar approach to the excellent documentary last year about the making of the Stones Exile On Main Street.  And I noticed that the Stones and U2 have a similar approach to composition with the bands finding the melodies and trying to create some structure first, while Bono or Jagger just improvise lyrics which may bear little resemblance to the final lyrics.  As Bono said something like: it could be embarrassing for an intellectual to see.

Some cool sounding alternative versions of songs like WGRYWH and So Cruel. Mibees these are the versions to be included in the box sets?

Yeah, I like the idea of 2011 studio rerecordings of all the AB songs, with just the four of them at Hansa.  A cool sounding WGRYWH, and The Edge-sung So Cruel and acoustic Love Is Blindness, which featured in the documentary.  The Fly sounded like the 360 version and One seemed like a 'stripped' version.

Offline A_Fly_On_The_Wall

• Deep In the Heart
  • Doing My Best Work In Your Disbelief Of Existence
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2011, 06:53:19 PM »
A very interesting and insightful documentary and it really helped me to understand just how difficult it was for the band during the period between Rattle And Hum and Achtung Baby. I never knew how stressful and tiring the Lovetown Tour was for the band, and I didn't realise how long it took for them to complete Achtung.

I am very glad that I got to see it but just as the comments above have stated, it seemed like they had to rush to fit in their 80's stuff and I was disappointed not to see much of Adam and Larry. Overall though it was brilliant to see U2's modern take on their 90's rock tunes and I was extremely impressed and overwhelmed with The Edge's rendition of Love Is Blindness.

I also really enjoyed seeing a very rare performance of So Cruel and Wild Horses. If they could tighten up on these two songs a bit then they would be killers as live tracks.

As a huge Achtung Baby fanatic I can walk away from this documentary satisfied, with a deeper knowledge of the bands' struggles and potential implosion after their first decade together. I loved the narration from the band members and they really are the nicest guys on the planet.

Achtung Baby has lived for 20 years so far and the sweet symphonies of the tracks within can only mature as they get carried on throughout the generations of U2 fans. Here's to the next 20 years...

satellitedog01

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2011, 07:14:54 PM »
Okay, with the help of Expat shield I could watch it online on the iPlayer. Not bad, but only because they had archive footage I haven't seen.

- Bono hammed it up like nobody's business, and he went over the top in the narration which annoyed me a lot.

- What was McGuinness doing in this movie? Possibly tryin to deliver some comic relief in the '80s section via channeling Truman Capote

- The modern alternate attempts at the songs were not working for me, maybe So Cruel, but LIB was nasty, and  Horses was just rigid, but I guess they didn't take the time and were just fooling around. I really hope these are not the baby versions.

-The birth of One was cool, especially the Dalkey brainstorming session with the double doghouse and very different mix. Eno was awkward with that typical DX7 metal chime sound. :-) These insights however were the best part of the film.

-Larry was at his most likable throughout his entire public(!) career when he finally got Zoo Station's drums right. That was cute.

So, I'm not buying this on seperate DVD, but it isn't half bad.

P.S.: Edge needs to stop colouring his facial hair, it looks too much like Travolta. :-)

Offline NotComingDown

• Refugee
  • Now my username is in two songs! Thanks, Levitate.
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2011, 07:43:16 PM »
Once I noticed they sped it up and the audio was about a full note higher than it's supposed to be, i couldn't enjoy it.  :D

But seriously, it was great, I just want to see it CORRECTLY.

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2011, 09:34:28 PM »
Goes to show that every band needs a laidback dude like Adam. Anyone more fiery would have slapped Bono in the back of the head and walk out if he's always that bossy in the studio  ;D (Bono seemed to ask a lot of The Edge)

Larry and Edge have their fiery elements as well

Offline aarong

• Desert Rose
  • What's a Double Bass? Oh a Big Voilin
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2011, 01:33:14 AM »
OK - I watched it on BBC last night. Overall, I enjoyed it, BUT (I know I know, the infamous but!!) I found alot of the footage and information already out there as part of extras on DVDs and previous interviews. Given the correct mixing equipment, I probably could have cut about 70% from previous footage myself. I didn't walk away with a profound life changing "I never realsed the band were so fragile and were struggling until the discovered One" from it.

On saying that, the updated recent interviews were interesting as it's always insightful listening to the band looking back with hindsight.

Marks out of ten: 7.5

Oh, can someone clarify, while I'm on. On the super dooper uber maga 400 fan dabba doozie re-release of Acthtung Baby do you get all the albums on vinyl, CD, singles, and only real additional value for money addition that would make you part with 400 is this 90 minute movie? It was good yeh, but I dunno if it's worth the money, now that I've just watched it on TV, but Im sure it will be on DVD in certain shops in Dublin for 10 withon a week?

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2011, 01:51:05 AM »
Goes to show that every band needs a laidback dude like Adam. Anyone more fiery would have slapped Bono in the back of the head and walk out if he's always that bossy in the studio  ;D (Bono seemed to ask a lot of The Edge)

Larry and Edge have their fiery elements as well

One of the things I loved was when they played the Fly and were like 'that was listened to by human ears!?...we can't afford to make a mistake on the second song''. Watching them listen back to the song shows what true perfectionists they are. I thought that was fascinating. You're right Bono asks so much of The Edge and he somehow delivers every time. When Bono was talking about 'how I saw them as I see them now, I knew it then' that was a great moment, so insightful, he had the belief, so much belief from the off.

I thought it was a brilliant delve into how this band works, how they get to that magical place and that it's more about them getting over the line. It's all about trust in this band. Simply brilliant documentary at times.

satellitedog01

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2011, 02:12:22 AM »
Did anyone wonder how Bono still can't play guitar at all after 30 years?

As for the "was that made to be listened to by human ears" part was a dig at the engineer I guess, he was clearly angry at the guy.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2011, 03:06:17 AM »
I've just watched - a really great insight to the band - something quite inspirational about the story - best moment for me was the band getting out of the Trabant at the end - something quite poignant about it.

As for the alternative versions - too early in my view to give a view - I like the idea though of re-structuring the songs - especially horses as its not a song that does a lot for me!

As an insight i thought it really worked - they probably took it as far as they could with out exposing warts and all.

As for McGuiness - he's paying for the thing so i reckon thats why he's in!  :D

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2011, 03:09:08 AM »
For info peeps I've merged the 2 similar threads

satellitedog01

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2011, 03:19:31 AM »

As an insight i thought it really worked - they probably took it as far as they could with out exposing warts and all.

I thought the archived bits were telling enough if you know the guys well enough from interviews and videos. They were pretty hyper. Has anyone seen the Edge smoking before?

As for PMG paying for it? Come on... that's a bit rich. He's done his part, but paying for it. Would you pay to buy his albums or see him live? ;-)
I'd pay a small sum not to hear from him ever again...

Jara

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2011, 04:24:27 AM »
Did anyone wonder how Bono still can't play guitar at all after 30 years?

As for the "was that made to be listened to by human ears" part was a dig at the engineer I guess, he was clearly angry at the guy.

See...now..the way i picked that bit up was as tho Bono was embarrassed at the thought of the played back version of the The Fly having been performed to a paying audience by the band

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2011, 04:27:51 AM »

I thought the archived bits were telling enough if you know the guys well enough from interviews and videos. They were pretty hyper. Has anyone seen the Edge smoking before?

As for PMG paying for it? Come on... that's a bit rich. He's done his part, but paying for it. Would you pay to buy his albums or see him live? ;-)
I'd pay a small sum not to hear from him ever again...

I do agree - the programme was about the musical creation and journey - no matter he describes himself as the 5th member of U2 he didn't quite fit the flow!

Offline ian

• Babyface
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2011, 04:34:37 AM »
just watched it, enjoyed it but as previous posts have said, did we need to see all the pre achtung baby era? ive not seen some of that footage, but i thought the film was supposed to be about the making of achtung not u2s history?
it was moving in some parts, didnt realise things were that dark and bad for the band at hansa. im glad the lovetown footage was shown, u2 were right they had indeed become a bloated rock band, which was why i personally hated rattle and hum!
is that the unedited film that will be one of the dvds in the box set, or is there more of it?, also are the reworkings of the achtung tracks going to be on one of the cds as well? im getting confused whats going to be realeased in the box sets! :-\