Author Topic: From the Sky Down - BBC1  (Read 21162 times)

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
Re: From the Sky Down - BBC1
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2011, 04:40:58 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
just watched it, enjoyed it but as previous posts have said, did we need to see all the pre achtung baby era? ive not seen some of that footage, but i thought the film was supposed to be about the making of achtung not u2s history?
it was moving in some parts, didnt realise things were that dark and bad for the band at hansa. im glad the lovetown footage was shown, u2 were right they had indeed become a bloated rock band, which was why i personally hated rattle and hum!
is that the unedited film that will be one of the dvds in the box set, or is there more of it?, also are the reworkings of the achtung tracks going to be on one of the cds as well? im getting confused whats going to be realeased in the box sets! :-\

Without that history there's no context for what Achtung Baby was for U2. It needed to be told. Maybe not for us - but for the film to be complete. The film wasn't another "Making Of", was never intended to be. It was about 4 guys at the crossroads, all pulling to go in a different direction and yet ending up stronger and better than before - without showing how they got to that point then the story would be greatly reduced, thematically & emotionally.

satellitedog01

« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2011, 04:41:21 AM »
See...now..the way i picked that bit up was as tho Bono was embarrassed at the thought of the played back version of the The Fly having been performed to a paying audience by the band

Yeah, the reason was clearly a fear of embarrassment, but I guess he hated more how the mix sounded (very flat and lifeless), not so much the playing. I might be mistaken of course, have watched it only once.

I do agree - the programme was about the musical creation and journey - no matter he describes himself as the 5th member of U2 he didn't quite fit the flow!

I would use a different description.

Still can't shake the awkward similarity to Truman Capote in Murder by Death... :-)

Jara

« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2011, 05:13:49 AM »
just watched it, enjoyed it but as previous posts have said, did we need to see all the pre achtung baby era? ive not seen some of that footage, but i thought the film was supposed to be about the making of achtung not u2s history?
it was moving in some parts, didnt realise things were that dark and bad for the band at hansa. im glad the lovetown footage was shown, u2 were right they had indeed become a bloated rock band, which was why i personally hated rattle and hum!
is that the unedited film that will be one of the dvds in the box set, or is there more of it?, also are the reworkings of the achtung tracks going to be on one of the cds as well? im getting confused whats going to be realeased in the box sets! :-\

Without that history there's no context for what Achtung Baby was for U2. It needed to be told. Maybe not for us - but for the film to be complete. The film wasn't another "Making Of", was never intended to be. It was about 4 guys at the crossroads, all pulling to go in a different direction and yet ending up stronger and better than before - without showing how they got to that point then the story would be greatly reduced, thematically & emotionally.
I personally feel they didnt need to spend a good portion of the show telling us how u2 arrived at the crossroads. would have much preferred more time spent giving an insight as to how some of the other songs, which werent mentioned, were crafted.

Offline aarong

• Desert Rose
  • What's a Double Bass? Oh a Big Voilin
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2011, 05:14:56 AM »
See...now..the way i picked that bit up was as tho Bono was embarrassed at the thought of the played back version of the The Fly having been performed to a paying audience by the band
Yeah, the reason was clearly a fear of embarrassment, but I guess he hated more how the mix sounded (very flat and lifeless), not so much the playing. I might be mistaken of course, have watched it only once.
I’m just thinking how much of this section of the documentary was for the camera. At this stage, they should experts of spin. Of course they want the songs to be perfect, but I’d have ten pages of notes for them on the live versions of their songs if I had a hour to sit with them that’d be far more “embarrassing” to them. I wonder at this stage that listening to themselves or a small group of long standing friends such as Lanois or Eno is necessarily a good thing

satellitedog01

« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2011, 05:21:51 AM »
Yip, there's a point. Also I really thought the present day Hansa try-outs were very weak and getting it wrong (So Cruel was the best so far) and while it's great to try and experiment, these were not brilliant ideas. And Bono strutting around with the guitar didn't work to the supposed desired effect. Well, you gotta fail to improve. :-)

Offline tj1968

• Party Girl/Boy
  • We wait all day for night to come...
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2011, 05:33:15 AM »
Interesting to note that the working title for 'One' was 'Young Blood'. 8)

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2011, 05:54:01 AM »

I personally feel they didnt need to spend a good portion of the show telling us how u2 arrived at the crossroads. would have much preferred more time spent giving an insight as to how some of the other songs, which werent mentioned, were crafted.

But it wasn't a 'making of' and wasn't designed to be.
They didn't show how any of the songs were crafted, certainly not from beginning to end, the genesis of 'One' was shown as it was an important step from nothing to something and how it healed them as a band. Maybe 'Classic Albums' will do 'Achtung Baby one day, failing that read 'Until The End Of The World'. My guess is they were crafted much the same as all the rest - patience and luck, I for one don't want to see that process 12 times over. This isn't the film you are looking for.

On another note I loved the animations and wished they'd been used much more.

Offline aarong

• Desert Rose
  • What's a Double Bass? Oh a Big Voilin
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2011, 06:10:25 AM »
I loved the bot where Bono was explaining the difference with Edge on a good and bad day and Larry less than politely telling his to shut up
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 01:34:18 AM by aarong »

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2011, 10:07:43 AM »
i watched it and enjoyed it a lot. bono and adam were particularly funny when describing their rattle and hum era selves.

one fact emerged from the docu which stood out like a beacon: they go through endless periods of self analysis, in fact, they are completely self obsessed as a unit/band. i know they were talking about the making of achtung and had to reflect and analyse themselves, but something tells me when they get together, they dissect the music and their direction to the point of exhaustion.

we have always known they are perfectionists, which can be a good thing, but they are definitely open to the 'self-obsession' accusation. maybe too much over-analysis can lead to paralysis.

over-all, a good insight into the state of the band at the time. it's also good to know they care so much about the music, even if they have been occasionally mis-guided over the last decade imo.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 10:13:40 AM by miami »

Offline julesport

• Holy Joe
  • Free yourself to be yourself...
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2011, 10:09:23 AM »
I missed it last night.....finally remembered it was on and saw the closing credits  :'( :P

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2011, 10:11:07 AM »
I missed it last night.....finally remembered it was on and saw the closing credits  :'( :P

Offline julesport

• Holy Joe
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2011, 10:12:31 AM »

Thank you  ;D

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2011, 10:12:52 AM »

Thank you  ;D

welcome

Offline julesport

• Holy Joe
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2011, 10:33:48 AM »

Thank you  ;D

welcome

Is the documentary worth the wait?

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2011, 10:38:59 AM »

Thank you  ;D

welcome

Is the documentary worth the wait?

For me, it's the definitive non-concert U2 film (not much competition I know) But like I said earlier, it's not really about Achtung Baby or the songs within it, it's about U2.