Author Topic: 50/50 Chance of New U2 Music Next Year?  (Read 9246 times)

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
Re: 50/50 Chance of New U2 Music Next Year?
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2011, 10:16:14 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Do you ever just agree with anyone on this forum?

Yes, I do.

:P

Hey, you're right! I guess there's a first time for everything!

Offline Rayford27

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Your wheels are turning, but you're upside down
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2011, 10:33:25 PM »
So... basically Edge confirmed that U2 either "will" or "will not" release new music in 2012... 

Finally, a definitive answer we can actually have faith in!  ;)

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2011, 03:12:40 AM »
I am still mystified why they just didn't release a 6 song EP of "Songs of Ascent" -- similar to what Coldplay did with "Proskpect's March"

They can a) satisfy their rabid fan base clamoring for new music b) release their more experimental, moody music referred to earlier with no expectations of radio hits and c) have no pressure to actually tour and promote the album.

My only guess is that the collection of tunes that were going to be "Songs of Ascent" are either a) simply not done and can't be put out to the public without major studio time; something they aren't doing right now or b) The band still has enormous faith in the songs and still want to "save" them to be the core of a future album.

I think the reason Songs of Ascent didn't see the light of day is because there is a third option regarding the post-NLOTH album - the opposite of your option b), that they actually have very little faith in most (if not all) of the new material, and don't want to release something purely for the sake of experimenting, or to release something asap to make everyone forget about NLOTH/ deliver on the promise of a new album.

Rather, they could want a calculated effort which uses their undivided attention, instead of outtakes and quickly-put-together-songs mashed together only a year or two after their last big album, and created while they were busy with the biggest tour of all time (not to mention a musical). They might want to be very careful about putting as much time and focus as they can into the next comeback, to make sure it is truly successful. The idea of Songs of Ascent began as an offspring of NLOTH, then as a quick follow up 'apology' for it, and now, it will probably be their massive epic, achtung baby / ATYCLB 'return to biggest band in the world status' album.

If that is their mindset, then they're probably very, very careful about what to release now. They could feel like the whole world looks down on them because of NLOTH's failure, so whatever comes next has to be special. Therefore, releasing a casual experimental EP could be a bad idea to them - it could threaten to make the band even less 'big'.

Offline excidence

• Stateless
  • excidence will heppen
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2011, 04:00:50 AM »

NLOTH is Rattle & Hum 2.0.

Their next album needs to be Achtung Baby 2.0 (i.e. complete re-invention).

satellitedog01

« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2011, 05:14:22 AM »
Not just to you, Prof, and the band is not new, actually I wonder if they'll ever make another new album, but the back catalogue is worth digging into. The band is James.

Don't start with any of the Best Of-s. Start with Getting Away With it Live (live DVD or audio CD), or Laid/Seven+B-Sides Ultra.

They've been the nicest surprise of my music listening experience.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2011, 05:57:45 AM »
50% chance not new music, 50% chance they will announce new music will be out in 2012 only to put it on the shelve.

Name anyone over the age of 50 that has MOJO.

Dylan, Bruce, Neil Young, Patti Smith, Prince, Willie - mojo overload, but they've all been in U2's position of doubt, and all of them got it back by making music for themselves. It's the chasing of success that brings you down at this stage, U2 need to quit with the sports cars and comb overs and embrace the pipe and slippers, be true to yourself and you can't go wrong - and balls to everyone else.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2011, 06:35:09 AM »
Sigh. On the one hand I think, "Yeah, riiight." But on the other I ask, "What possible reason would Edge have to get our hopes up like this?"

Well, probably Edge enjoys the recordings with producer Danger Mouse which they have already in the can, but one or even some of the others are not quite content with putting them out at this point in time just yet.

Offline jackofhearts

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2011, 09:33:06 AM »
Anybody think the reason they didn't play "Glastonbury" for the fest this year was because it was written specifically for last year's show?  I think thats more the issue than not being confident in it. 

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2011, 11:10:45 AM »
Anybody think the reason they didn't play "Glastonbury" for the fest this year was because it was written specifically for last year's show?  I think thats more the issue than not being confident in it. 

Nope. I think they didn't play it because they don't think it's any good.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2011, 11:27:03 AM »

Which is fine, but you both have equal evidence for your propositions (IE; 0 ) so all we can really do is speculate. Although the fact that they played it seven or so consecutive gigs for their big relaunch of the 360 Tour doesn't exactly provide a ringing endorsement to your thesis.

Offline ryanm

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2011, 11:58:20 AM »

Which is fine, but you both have equal evidence for your propositions (IE; 0 ) so all we can really do is speculate. Although the fact that they played it seven or so consecutive gigs for their big relaunch of the 360 Tour doesn't exactly provide a ringing endorsement to your thesis.

I disagree.  I think the fact they stopped playing it after the first few gigs upon their return is evidence they grew to dislike it.  And I have to agree; Glastonbury just was not  a good song.  It was average, not great like we've come to expect from U2.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2011, 01:55:32 PM »

Exactly. If Glastonbury was good enough for several 360 shows, why wouldn't it be good enough for a one off festival show ?

satellitedog01

« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2011, 01:59:55 PM »
I think they just forgot about it...

Offline CharityDance

• Stateless
  • ...and turn me around tonight
« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2011, 02:12:31 PM »
Spring 2014. That's my bet.

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Numb
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2011, 03:54:07 PM »
If I went to the festival and didnt hear them perform Glastonbury, I would have been f----- pi**ed.   My hunch is that Martin the Mimic told Eno that if he didnt convince Bono somehow that it sucked and not to play it, that he wouldnt get to  produce their next album.