Author Topic: 50/50 Chance of New U2 Music Next Year?  (Read 9245 times)

satellitedog01

Re: 50/50 Chance of New U2 Music Next Year?
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2011, 04:08:15 PM »
LOL. Martin the Mimic. Great one.

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2011, 05:22:31 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

NLOTH is Rattle & Hum 2.0.

Their next album needs to be Achtung Baby 2.0 (i.e. complete re-invention).

I think what we need right now is Rattle And Hum 2.0.

Take Songs of Ascent or some of the Danger Mouse material and combine that with some live tracks.  It might take some of the pressure off, if they sandwich some of the new material in between live versions of Sunday Bloody Sunday, Beautiful Day or Ultraviolet.

Offline ryanm

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2011, 07:02:20 PM »

NLOTH is Rattle & Hum 2.0.

Their next album needs to be Achtung Baby 2.0 (i.e. complete re-invention).

I think what we need right now is Rattle And Hum 2.0.

Take Songs of Ascent or some of the Danger Mouse material and combine that with some live tracks.  It might take some of the pressure off, if they sandwich some of the new material in between live versions of Sunday Bloody Sunday, Beautiful Day or Ultraviolet.

Rattle & Hum didn't go over well the first time around.  Why on Earth would they do it again?

Judging from what Bono has said recently regarding U2's proximity to irrelevance, I don't think the band will be satisfied releasing a new album unless its sound & style is something completely new and it's able to inspire fans and non-fans alike on a global scale.  I truly believe they're going to scrap everything they've worked since the release of NLOTH, go into the studio in February or March of next year, and start from scratch.  No celebrity collaborations and no new producers; just the band with those they trust most, hashing out a new musical & spiritual identity from square 1 (just like they did 20 years ago).

Will they succeed?  I want to say yes, but I honestly don't know.  I have no doubt that if they can't come up with anything solid, even to work further off of, by 2013, they'll call it a career and walk away before they feel that they're becoming the group that didn't know when to quit.

Offline Velvet Dress

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #78 on: October 22, 2011, 07:36:45 PM »
I truly believe they're going to scrap everything they've worked since the release of NLOTH, go into the studio in February or March of next year, and start from scratch. 

I doubt they'll scrap everything.   Edge has expressed his fondness for the Danger Mouse material.   I know that probably doesn't mean very much, but even the comprehensiveness of their re-invention during AB is a little bit of mythology that they like to propogate...they definitely carried over some influences from Rattle and Hum.

zootv

« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2011, 07:59:58 PM »
I think that u2's next album will be as good or better than anything they've done before or it's going to be the end of the road. Sadly, I thinks it's going to be the later. They are putting entirely too much pressure on themselves. At this point they have earned their place in rock and roll history and have nothing left to prove. Now is the time to be creative and artsy. They should enjoy being creative rather than concerning themselves with relevancy.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2011, 08:11:24 PM »
I think that u2's next album will be as good or better than anything they've done before or it's going to be the end of the road. Sadly, I thinks it's going to be the later. They are putting entirely too much pressure on themselves. At this point they have earned their place in rock and roll history and have nothing left to prove. Now is the time to be creative and artsy. They should enjoy being creative rather than concerning themselves with relevancy.

The problem is that in my opinion when they went for 'artsy' before we got 'Passengers' -which is easily worse than any 'true' U2 album. I hope they don't go that way again.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #81 on: October 22, 2011, 08:27:33 PM »

The problem is that in my opinion when they went for 'artsy' before we got 'Passengers' -which is easily worse than any 'true' U2 album. I hope they don't go that way again.

I love that line of Bono's when he was discussing the critics who love to point out R&H's failure, but then he goes, "But feck 'em, there's good chunes on that!"

Would that he still had that attitude.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2011, 09:15:43 PM »

I love that line of Bono's when he was discussing the critics who love to point out R&H's failure, but then he goes, "But feck 'em, there's good chunes on that!"

Would that he still had that attitude.

The problem with this argument is that U2 went on to play only two (Occasionally 3) R&H songs per night on the subsequent tour-  - one of them heavily reworked from the album version- and then only one on PopMart- and to play non-singles from it less than half a dozen times ever again.  So whatever Bono said, it wasn't backed up by action.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 09:21:39 PM by The Unknown Caller -RIP Clarence Clemons- »

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2011, 10:28:01 PM »

Rattle & Hum didn't go over well the first time around.  Why on Earth would they do it again?

Rattle And Hum went over very well the first time around with more than ten million copies sold and the band's third biggest radio hit to date.  Sounds like you have been sold on the deeply flawed Rattle And Hum myth.

I actually would prefer The Exile's idea of SOA being a fanclub release, but the Rattle And Hum concept of packaging experimental tracks with some live hits and rarities was a brilliant idea.

Offline fresno dave

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • "You wanted violins.." about.me/davewainscott
« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2014, 01:24:34 AM »
Spring 2014. That's my bet.

Charity!  This  2011 post of yours came up in my feed as I was searching something else.  I have to say you are prophetic as usual! (: