Poll

Which Rehearsed Opener Would You Have Liked To See on the 360 Tour?

Sunday Bloody Sunday (Barcelona)
3 (8.3%)
Moment of Surrender (Barcelona, Turin)
2 (5.6%)
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me (Turin)
31 (86.1%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: The 360 Openers That Never Were  (Read 4804 times)

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
The 360 Openers That Never Were
« on: November 12, 2011, 11:02:21 AM »
As well as the five songs which did open a 360 concert at some point, (Breathe, Stingray, EBTTRT, Magnificent, Beautiful Day) we know from rehearsals that U2 considered with several other openers- most notably (And most bizarrely?) 'Moment of Surrender' being rehearsed as an intro not once but before two separate leg openers, and both times deemed by the band and Willie Williams to be quite good.

So, which of these songs would you have liked to see open a U2 concert, if you had to pick?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: The 360 Openers That Never Were
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 11:12:33 AM »
They're all a pretty dire bunch to open a show with, though no worse than BD.

A blistering full band Desire would have been preferred, or FEZ: Being Born.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 01:27:35 PM »
Hold Me. I don't think the other two would work... ESPECIALLY not MoS. Good thing that never happened!

If only NLOTH had been the opener... I'll just have to dream of it now. :)

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 02:38:31 PM »
I put MOS because I'm really interested in how it would go down. Soon into MOS sounds like a really interesting transition.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 07:01:12 PM »
A few things, I know Moment of Surrender was rehearsed as the show opener before the Europe 2010 but when before that?

And when was SBS rehearsed as a show opener?  I know it was the first song rehearsed during one of the nights leading up to the tour opener, but was it actually rehearsed as a show opener?  Same with HMTMKMKM.

And I went with HMTMKMKM obviously.

• Holy Joe
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 07:12:28 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
A few things, I know Moment of Surrender was rehearsed as the show opener before the Europe 2010 but when before that?

And when was SBS rehearsed as a show opener?  I know it was the first song rehearsed during one of the nights leading up to the tour opener, but was it actually rehearsed as a show opener?  Same with HMTMKMKM.

All from Willie's blog. He explicitly says that HMTM and MoS were considered as show openers in Turin. (With Soon leading into the latter and with an instrumental strings piece leading into it) SBS is more of an inference; Willie says in his diary that they 'rehearsed three different openings; a classic rock opening, a mellow, slower one and one from the left field' on that day and our rehearsal reports have them playing three different sections of songs; one was the actual opener, one opened with MoS and the other opened with SBS.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 07:16:04 PM »

All from Willie's blog. He explicitly says that HMTM and MoS were considered as show openers in Turin. (With Soon leading into the latter and with an instrumental strings piece leading into it) SBS is more of an inference; Willie says in his diary that they 'rehearsed three different openings; a classic rock opening, a mellow, slower one and one from the left field' on that day and our rehearsal reports have them playing three different sections of songs; one was the actual opener, one opened with MoS and the other opened with SBS.

Oh.  Nevermind then.  If only I had access to Willie's blog

• Holy Joe
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 07:50:22 PM »
June 19th 2009-
We sat together and figured out the three different possible sets of opening songs that we wanted to try out. I was pleased that the three proposed opening ideas came from three different band members, so the spirit of democracy is very much alive. The band got up on stage and played through the three possibilities, one kind of a downbeat opening, one a bit of a left turn and the last a full on rock event. To paraphrase the adage, two out of three weren't bad, so we already have some either/or options to choose from.

2nd August 2010
We're still working on opening sequences and in the past have found it's useful to have three options to look at (we love a three-cornered contest). There was a suggestion last night that 'Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me' might be a contender for a radical new opening to the show, so Dec had sent for the original multi-track recording of the piece. There are lots of mad violins hidden away in the recording that reminded me of a George Crumb composition called 'Black Angels', written (I think) in response to the Vietnam War.  I have a recording of it being performed by the Kronos Quartet, so dug it out and gave it to Dec. The combination of the two crazed string-instrument attacks was absolutely startling, particularly when played over the giant 360 sound system and set up a wonderfully unhinged atmosphere for 'Hold Me, Thrill Me'.

This gave us our third option, the other two being Beautiful Day coming out of Elbow's 'One Day Like This' and the complete wildcard of opening with Moment of Surrender, coming out of 'Soon', the track formerly known as 'Kingdom of Your Love' that preceded Breathe in last year's show.

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 09:09:38 PM »
Wow, sounds crazy that they actually considered this. Further distancing themselves from NLOTH?

I guess HMTMKMKM could have worked if they did it in the 360 EBTTRT style (explosive and energetic)

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 10:49:24 PM »
Can i say none of them? Cant imagine any of these being effective or inspiring show openers?

Offline m100

• Wanderer
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 03:01:32 PM »
Hold me is the only one that works. Sunday Bloody Sunday sets the wrong tone and moment is just far too slow. I know Beautiful day isn't the fastest song but it is instantly recognisable to the casual fans and they are the ones you need on your side from the off.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 09:58:44 PM »
I wouldn't wanna see any of these open, but Moment Of Surrender would be interesting.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 08:14:08 AM »
They should have opened with MOS for one night only at the highest attended show of the tour, just for a laugh.

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 08:34:18 AM »
^Laugh their touring career away, that is.

It sounds so crazy to open with any of these 3. If it weren't from Willie's diary, I wouldn't believe it. Or maybe Willie is pulling our leg?

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 09:14:37 PM »
A blistering full band Desire would have been preferred, or FEZ: Being Born.
I voted MOS, but immediately thought of Fez-being born.  I have said all along that they should have played the Fez part over the PA system and walked out to it and then kicked into Being Born.