Poll

Which Rehearsed Opener Would You Have Liked To See on the 360 Tour?

Sunday Bloody Sunday (Barcelona)
3 (8.3%)
Moment of Surrender (Barcelona, Turin)
2 (5.6%)
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me (Turin)
31 (86.1%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: The 360 Openers That Never Were  (Read 4814 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: The 360 Openers That Never Were
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2011, 11:16:16 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fez - Being Born is too slow a burn for an opener. The opener needs to be big. Zoo Station, CoBL, Mofo, etc.

Fez would make a good encore opener or midset song.

What's wrong with having a slower song to open a show?  If they can close with a slow number, then why not open?

Start off with a stately opener and then move on to more uptempo stuff.

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2011, 04:40:30 AM »
I believe they opened some ZOO TV rehearsals with SBS back in '92.  I wouldn't mind that.

My personal off list choice would be Hawkmoon 269.

Offline m100

• Wanderer
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2011, 09:54:48 AM »
Fez - Being Born is too slow a burn for an opener. The opener needs to be big. Zoo Station, CoBL, Mofo, etc.

What's wrong with having a slower song to open a show?  If they can close with a slow number, then why not open?

I'd say that the only person who has regularly opened with a slow song is Bowie.

Sunday Bloody Sunday has only opened one show in hershey 1992 which wasn't a full on zoo tv show, followed by new years day and pride - a sort of big hits thank you to the locals for listening to them rehearse in the stadium.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2011, 04:15:31 AM »

I agree. I always imagined an extended Fez intro in almost total darkness, with the bank walking on without most people noticing. Then Being Born kicks in, all the lights go on, and on the big screens there's a panoramic video taken from a motorcyclist's helmet whilst driving on a long stretch of the Costa Del Sol at breakneck speed. Ah if only ...

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2011, 01:30:47 PM »
To be honest, I always felt that Fez was literally one of the worst possible choices of opener from the entire U2 catalogue, let alone NLOTH - but then, I don't really like it as a song anyway, so...

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2011, 02:36:40 PM »
Even without liking it, it makes a lot of logical sense to open with it. It's a driving, loud song about rebirth - a good tone to open a show. Even if I didn't like it, it still screams show opener to me - certainly nowhere near the bottom of the list. I mean, it would make more sense than TTTYAATW, Wild Honey, Elvis Presley and America, Numb, Seconds, The Refugee, The Wanderer, or about 70% of their songs :P

• Holy Joe
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2011, 04:32:51 PM »
I'd put it at about the same level as TTTYAATW or The Refugee, below Seconds. :P It's waaaay too slow, not hard enough, no memorable chorus, doesn't pump the audience up - all IMO, of course!

Offline mrsamrocks2

• Numb
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2011, 11:06:40 AM »
If they feel like Being born is too slow, they can change the tempo, it's possible to do that!!!

Offline CherryYouDanceWithMe

• Elevated
  • Larry "Boom Boom" Mullen
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2011, 11:42:10 AM »
I also agree that Fez would be great, but I am envisioning it a-la-Elevation tour where they would start with the stadium lights on, during Fez, then all goes black, and the stage lights up for Being Born. now THAT would send shivers down my spine!

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2011, 01:03:15 PM »

I agree. I always imagined an extended Fez intro in almost total darkness, with the bank walking on without most people noticing. Then Being Born kicks in, all the lights go on, and on the big screens there's a panoramic video taken from a motorcyclist's helmet whilst driving on a long stretch of the Costa Del Sol at breakneck speed. Ah if only ...

Coulda been great

Offline david

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2011, 01:35:08 PM »
I can't even watch U2 play SBS anymore. Aside from the fact that it's got increasingly slow and lumpy in the last few tours it looks like the band are sick of playing it. It also just looks wrong seeing a bunch of old guys (sorry, but they are!) playing that song, I don't know why it just does.

MOS is pretty dull even by 00's U2 standards. Another okay song that they keep trying to hit us over the head with until we agree with their lofty assertion of its greatness. Maby it would be better if they played it first just to get it out of the way? Especially as they insist on including it in EVERY setlist.

HMTMKMKM an underrated song, but it has never really 'worked' live, except perhaps in the Mexico City 1997 concert.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2011, 05:49:03 PM »
MoS is pretty popular, buddy. It's even doing well in the U22 competition.

• Holy Joe
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2011, 06:08:08 PM »
MoS was critically acclaimed, Rolling Stone ranked it as one of the best songs of all time above most U2 songs, it's done repeatedly very well on polls here, it's really high on the U22 vote... if U2 are trying to 'force' it on fans, fans don't seem to be resisting very much!

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2011, 03:53:57 PM »
hold me would've been incredible. hopefully, they do that at some point in the future.

Offline miaveni

• Babyface
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2011, 01:55:22 PM »
Hold Me, Thrill Me,  Kiss Me, Kill Me,  that would have been cool.  Bono could have come swingin in on a rope from the high tops of the stadiums.......  Wouldn't that have been a sight to see???