Author Topic: Starting to avoid reviews of NLOTH?  (Read 795 times)

Offline jjcruiser

• Intellectual Tortoise
Starting to avoid reviews of NLOTH?
« on: February 12, 2009, 11:14:39 AM »
Quick rant:

I have to say, while I'm pleased that the reviews coming out are largely very positive, I'm a little annoyed at that way U2 music gets reviewed, and it's really coming to the fore with the new album so far.

U2 album-reviews almost always seem to read like this:

"U2's new album does/does not return to their roots as a stadium/punk/rock band.  In doing so, it treads old/new ground.  Sonically they did/didn't push their boundaries, and it really shows."  Or some such drivel.

I'm tired of reading reviews that complain about them being self-indulgent, or too self-aware, or too ironic, or too genuine.  Very few reviewers (a) take each album on its own for how it sounds together and (b) take each song on its own.  I.e., "This song sounds really good because the bass is clear and catchy, the guitar has a great riff/melody, and Bono's lyrics are strong." 

An album is just a collection of songs.  Sometimes it's greater than the sum of its parts, but it doesn't have anything to listen to other than individual songs and sometimes those songs together. 

I've listened to the 45-second clips of each of the songs.  I think about half of them sound freakin' brilliant and the other half I can't tell.  But I'm not thinking "gee, this sounds self-indulgent like Rattle and Hum" or "experimental like Unforgettable Fire" or "ironic like Achtung Baby."  I just think some songs are cool and others not as much.  So the psychobabble starts to grate on me. 

I think I'm going to just flat out avoid reviews of the album, which songs one likes is too subjective and the verbose judgmentalism of the band annoys me too much.  I don't want them to retread familiar ground or push their boundaries or reinvent themselves or stick with pared down rock or stadium rock or whatnot.  I just want them to write and play good music, whatever form that takes is fine with me.

Offline the Edge Gotto

• Elevated
  • U2, Peter Gabriel, and Genesis shall dominate
Re: Starting to avoid reviews of NLOTH?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 11:16:39 AM »
I'm trying to avoid anything that might give away anything about the album especially sound bites. I guess I'm okay reading reviews but I'm afraid the review is going to say something that will give it all away.

Offline silkenskies

• Refugee
  • You got my head filled with songs
Re: Starting to avoid reviews of NLOTH?
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 02:11:39 PM »
With such a huge catalogue, seems inevitable reviews are going to be compared to their earlier work.