Author Topic: Ian McCulloch: Bono is "clearly out of his mind on drugs".  (Read 21932 times)

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
Re: Ian McCullough: Bono is "clearly out of his mind on drugs".
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2011, 12:43:52 AM »
Mr McCulloch is known for his opinions so for me nothing new.

As an aside he left the stage early at a show in Glasgow a couple of months back.. couldn't sing..too drunk...

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2011, 01:37:21 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I love Echo and his furry friends and don't have a problem with Ian's comments as they are just his opinion.
I don't mind opinions, but when they're baseless and low I get annoyed by them.

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2011, 02:15:45 AM »
Reminds me of that good old joke :

"Remember U2 ? When I think they could have been as big as Echo & the Bunnymen..."

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2011, 06:28:09 PM »
He sounds like he is the one on the drugs....

Sydney_Mike

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2011, 08:24:12 PM »
Wow, man, this McCullough guy is so hip and edgy, ripping on Bono like that. No one's ever done that before... :s

My recollection of history is that McCulloigh was the original founding member of the Bono-haters club. He was into slagging off Bono way before everyone else jumped on the bandwagon. Glad to see he hasn't mellowed with age.

Offline Spilling Over the Brim

• Stateless
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2011, 09:05:04 PM »
Since I first found out about The Bunnymen in the late 90's, I've seen them - or what's left of them- live three times(the last of which was on their Crocodiles/Heaven Up Here "tribute" tour). Each time I've seen them it is Mac who appears to be on a substance - and not in a good way. Mac's got three clear vices in the substance/drugs department(two are legal and one isn't), but hey, so do a lot of people in his profession. I think Ian chose these words probably because he knows there haven't been any well publicized drug incidents involving Bono, and he's poking fun at his "spotless" record. Perhaps, in his mind, he feels he can get to Bono like this.

As far as I know, Henry Rollins is really the only post punk peer whose barbs have gotten under Bono's skin.

I kindda get where Mac is coming from though. In many eyes, his band was the better one - for a while. To be honest if we were just taking '79-85 into account, then I'd definitely give the edge to the Bunnymen. Crocodiles and Heaven Up Here just sound like better, more complete albums than Boy and October - and this coming from someone who rates Boy very high. In their first four albums they explored different sounds and expanded their music vocabulary just as much as U2 - probably more so. They seemed to have more promise, more potential. But this isn't 1982 anymore. I really think Echo & The Bunnymen had the "it" factor much like U2, but they let it get away from them for various reasons(some of which are sad). They never had the work ethic(or managerial guidance) of U2 and it showed when America chose one to embrace. The Bunnymen would always be respected, but the rest was history. Everything else since then has been sour grapes.

This is nothing new though when it comes to Mac The Mouth. I have a copy of their book "Turquoise Days"(which I actually got guitarist Will Sergeant, who is much more friendly than Mac, to sign), and the style of the book is to essentially tell the band's story by using their quotes throughout the years. Needless to say a lot of Mac's quotes are barbs aimed right at his peers and, of course, Bono was always one of his favorite targets. Him detailing Bono and him meeting in 1982 for the first time back stage at Top Of The Pops is priceless. U2 were performing New Year's Day, and The Bunnymen stumbled through The Cutter, with an obviously drunk Mac pulling them down. The more things change, the more they stay the same. It seems like now you can't even read a Bunnymen article without the mention of U2. It's becoming a joke. Mac just keeps playing right into the journalists hands and I don't think he even realizes it.

btw has anyone ever noticed that both The Cutter and New Year's Day had snowbound videos? Hmmmmmmmmm not sure who gets the credit for that idea.

Still love The Bunnymen!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 10:03:58 PM by Spilling Over the Brim »

• Stateless
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2011, 09:33:05 PM »
P.S. i just wanna add, I would LOVE to see both Bono and Mac together taking a "blood test" similar to John Carpenter's version of The Thing(which is from also 1982, ironically).

They could revisit one of the cold shooting locations from either The Cutter or New Year's Day video. They'd be like tied down by Larry to a sofa like in the film with their blood samples in petri dishes. Instead of Kurt Russell, you'd have The Edge standing there, a safe distance away, with the flamethrower strapped on(since he's always on fire), and wearing Kurt's sombrero. He'd be heating up the copper wire, and an uncertain Mac would look at him and say "Let's do this". Bono would have a slight grin on his face. Everyone holds their breath as Edge puts the hot wire in Bono's petri dish and it would EXPLODE with the reaction of Bono's blood to the wire. It is then when Bono transforms into what Mac knew he was all along: The Thing. Larry would yell "Torch Him!", and then all Bono's comments about Edge being on fire will finally come back to burn him! But not before giving Mac The Mouth a huge hug and to make sure he is taken out too.

It could all be filmed by Anton Corbijn.

Is this what Mac had in mind?

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2011, 09:39:36 PM »
What was Bono's reaction to Rollins?

• Stateless
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2011, 09:52:34 PM »
You know I wish I could help you out with more info, but I basically just read a quick blurb on it maybe 7 or 8 years ago. If I remember right, it was one of Rollins(several) comments questioning Bono's sincerity in regards to his humanitarian work. Something to that effect. All I can remember is it said Bono was left "fuming" over Rollins comments. That's all I really remember specifically. For all I know I might have even read it here or at Interference. Does anyone else remember this?

Anyway I enjoy many of U2's early punk/post punk peers, and I have come across many unflattering comments about Bono/U2 from some of those camps and this was honestly the first time I'd seen something where it alluded to Bono actually getting mad. But thankfully U2 didn't get where they did by having thin skin, you know?

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2011, 11:06:03 PM »
The concept of punk was really built around doing what you want to do and not caring about what others thought about it. U2 left the punk lifestyle behind a long time ago, so I can see why those who remained in the lifestyle are not impressed with where U2 have gone because in their minds, they are sell outs. Every now and again, Bono still likes to point out how they are in touch with their punk roots. If I was a punk, I have to admit that would turn my stomach as they are all about public perception.

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2011, 11:35:33 PM »
The concept of punk was really built around doing what you want to do and not caring about what others thought about it. U2 left the punk lifestyle behind a long time ago, so I can see why those who remained in the lifestyle are not impressed with where U2 have gone because in their minds, they are sell outs. Every now and again, Bono still likes to point out how they are in touch with their punk roots. If I was a punk, I have to admit that would turn my stomach as they are all about public perception.
Agreed. But I also think U2 are above that now. I don't agree with the perception that somehow that punk ideology is somehow both more noble and superior to wanting to be heard, and wanting to be big. I think U2 do what they want while trying to touch as many people as they can, and yeah, getting lots of money. Of course that means making pretty big comprimises. But I find that a lot less small minded and self indulgent than that Punk creed.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2011, 08:14:02 PM »
Agreed. But I also think U2 are above that now. I don't agree with the perception that somehow that punk ideology is somehow both more noble and superior to wanting to be heard, and wanting to be big. I think U2 do what they want while trying to touch as many people as they can, and yeah, getting lots of money. Of course that means making pretty big comprimises. But I find that a lot less small minded and self indulgent than that Punk creed.

I never claimed the ideology of punk is superior to any other. I claimed that when Bono, as he does every so often (usually after recording a new album but prior to the release of it), says that the band has remained true to their punk roots, it's a load of garbage and to those who actually did stay true to that agenda, it would upset them to hear that because it totally miscasts what punk was all about. It would be more honest for Bono to say that they came out of the punk environment but have since rethought things and they are no longer punk in any way. But because he likes to be all things to all people, he'll continue to look for any connection possible with the public to maintain interest in the band. Granted, that's his job, but it does come across like a sleazy salesman every so often.

Jara

Re: Ian McCulloch: Bono is "clearly out of his mind on drugs".
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2011, 10:07:05 AM »
I remember that t**t mcculloch slaggin off Bono back in the mid 80s. hes just bitter, thats all. One of them people of a certain age...who are so uncntent in their life...they have certain things the fix their attention on to hate.

ironically...wanst there an article in the past two or so years, where Mcculloch was suggesting his views on bono had mellowed?

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2011, 03:09:03 PM »
It's just part of Ian's charm  ;D ;D  It's just Ian. That's all . Bono laughs at it. It's fine. I love Ian and Bono . ;D

• Stateless
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2011, 04:21:27 PM »
Smee, I think Mac has gone back and forth several times now. He is clearly a moody person and what he says to the press is a reflection of this. Sometimes he seems to be enjoying himself and other times he is on the attack. At various times in the past he made some concessions in regards to U2. There was an article in SPIN, I believe, a few years ago where he paid U2/Bono some backhanded complements - from Ian, that's as close to flattery as U2 is going to get - which seemed to suggest he had finally gotten over his bitterness. He admitted there were some good songs(maybe this was the article you saw?). But then he came back a year later calling them nothing but "spud peelers". I read an interview with him dated back to around 1990 where he(somewhat) praised The Joshua Tree. This has happened before and it's probably going to continue as long as journalists keep interviewing Mac.

It's too bad because, as far as I know, U2 have only said good things about Echo & The Bunnymen. If I had to guess, there are probably several Bunnymen fans in the U2 camp.

Like I mentioned earlier, you can hardly find any recent Bunnymen/Mac article and or interview without the mention of U2. In a way it's his own fault. His comments(probably going as far back as 30 years at this point - October in particular would have lent a lot of ammunition to U2's more cynical peers) have tied him to U2 - at least from his end. Looking at some of his best lyrical work you can tell Mac is a deep thinker who is as reflective as anyone, but he's really only fooling himself in this situation. It was one thing when he was young, and actually U2's very real competition, but now it's just embarrassing. He's clever, no doubt, but this joke is on him.

This is the first time I remember him actually CHALLENGING Bono to something. I would very much like to see this "blood test", as Mac puts it. Hell, I would like to see them both in the same room. I could see Bono saying "Where's Mac? I want to buy him a drink!". Mac would be in the corner hiding like someone who is afraid of their Ex.