Author Topic: Ian McCulloch: Bono is "clearly out of his mind on drugs".  (Read 22303 times)

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
Re: Ian McCulloch: Bono is "clearly out of his mind on drugs".
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2011, 04:51:17 PM »
says that the band has remained true to their punk roots, it's a load of garbage

Umm, I tend to recall Bono's quotes as being "We came out of punk" before he goes on to say that U2 wanted something different/more. He's never hidden the fact that U2 wanted to be huge from the day they were formed. He was talking that way even after the Dandelion Market gigs:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

If Bono's talking about staying true to his punk roots, he's probably referring to the fact that he still can't play guitar. ;-)

Offline Spilling Over the Brim

• Stateless
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2011, 05:06:11 PM »
The Dandelion Market gigs are the ones which had Bono wearing the checkered pants and sleeveless mesh shirt, right? Gotta love some of U2's early fashion sense, or lack there of ;D

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2011, 05:18:27 PM »
P.S. i just wanna add, I would LOVE to see both Bono and Mac together taking a "blood test" similar to John Carpenter's version of The Thing(which is from also 1982, ironically).

They could revisit one of the cold shooting locations from either The Cutter or New Year's Day video. They'd be like tied down by Larry to a sofa like in the film with their blood samples in petri dishes. Instead of Kurt Russell, you'd have The Edge standing there, a safe distance away, with the flamethrower strapped on(since he's always on fire), and wearing Kurt's sombrero. He'd be heating up the copper wire, and an uncertain Mac would look at him and say "Let's do this". Bono would have a slight grin on his face. Everyone holds their breath as Edge puts the hot wire in Bono's petri dish and it would EXPLODE with the reaction of Bono's blood to the wire. It is then when Bono transforms into what Mac knew he was all along: The Thing. Larry would yell "Torch Him!", and then all Bono's comments about Edge being on fire will finally come back to burn him! But not before giving Mac The Mouth a huge hug and to make sure he is taken out too.

It could all be filmed by Anton Corbijn.

Is this what Mac had in mind?

One of the most awesome things i've ever read on this forum.

Offline Spilling Over the Brim

• Stateless
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2011, 05:45:32 PM »
Hey thanks Jamie, much appreciated! 8) After I posted it I immediately wondered if anyone would get the reference, but if just one person enjoyed it or got what I was on about then it's worth it

Offline SDD3000

• Stateless
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2011, 12:08:58 PM »
Two people got the quote!! Im a huge John Carpenter fan and it was indeed a good post!! I would love to hear Bonos comments bout Rollins though.. he clearly HATES Bono. Didnt Bono once sit in the audeince at one of his stand ups? Is that rumour true?

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2011, 03:13:22 PM »
Hey thanks Jamie, much appreciated! 8) After I posted it I immediately wondered if anyone would get the reference, but if just one person enjoyed it or got what I was on about then it's worth it

Great post, man. I love that movie. The prequel is no good, though.

Back on the punk thing, I believe the band always told they were coming from the punk movement, inspired by some of its aspects (and artists). But I don't think they've ever described themselves as punks ?

Offline j2736 (i'm not a boy ! )

• Desert Rose
  • watch more television
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2011, 05:19:39 AM »
I like The Killing Moon very much, but i think it's the only song that is remembered of Ian's band. So, everything he says against Bono is really out of pure envy. Where is he now?his band? U2 and Bono are still very much alive and kicking. I feel really sorry for Ian. He'll die envying Bono and pitying himself. He's like a rabid dog already.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2011, 06:30:34 AM »
He's currently recording a solo album so lets see what thats like  :)

Offline INCA

• Babyface
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2011, 02:36:16 PM »
Spare the Cutter. Haha Ian, it's okay. We still like you.

Offline ayajedi

• Child of Grace
  • Don't Let the Bastards Grind You Down
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2011, 08:45:14 PM »
He has been having a go at Bono for years and years now. It got old long ago, he sounds so bitter

Offline Monicalea

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I don't care, I'm claiming it!
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2011, 09:10:01 PM »
He has been having a go at Bono for years and years now. It got old long ago, he sounds so bitter

It does make for a good dog and pony show though. Fanboys on both sides get to go ape crap on the other side thus keeping both of them in the public eye without actually doing much damage to either side.

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2011, 11:14:21 AM »
Rollins is really the only one who I pay attention to when he criticizes Bono because sometimes I agree with it.

Offline tj1968

• Party Girl/Boy
  • We wait all day for night to come...
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2011, 06:24:07 AM »
U2 and Echo and The Bunnymen were once contemporaries in their early days. U2 found global fame and fortune, The Bunnymen didn't, simple case of sour grapes.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2011, 09:05:04 AM »
U2 and Echo and The Bunnymen were once contemporaries in their early days. U2 found global fame and fortune, The Bunnymen didn't, simple case of sour grapes.

Well, maybe he should enjoy some wine instead of vinegar!

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2011, 09:26:05 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login