Author Topic: Ian McCulloch: Bono is "clearly out of his mind on drugs".  (Read 22309 times)

Offline Monicalea

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I don't care, I'm claiming it!
Re: Ian McCulloch: Bono is "clearly out of his mind on drugs".
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2011, 12:13:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
U2 and Echo and The Bunnymen were once contemporaries in their early days. U2 found global fame and fortune, The Bunnymen didn't, simple case of sour grapes.

Well, maybe he should enjoy some wine instead of vinegar!

Oh, I think he has plenty of whine. :D

Ha! I crack myself up!

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2011, 10:17:35 PM »
U2 and Echo and The Bunnymen were once contemporaries in their early days. U2 found global fame and fortune, The Bunnymen didn't, simple case of sour grapes.

Well, maybe he should enjoy some wine instead of vinegar!

Oh, I think he has plenty of whine. :D

Ha! I crack myself up!

Hee hee!!  ;D

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2011, 05:54:31 AM »
I love Echo and his furry friends and don't have a problem with Ian's comments as they are just his opinion.

There's a difference between stating opinion and baselessly labelling someone as a drug addict. No matter who you are, if anybody acts like that then they are, unquestionably, a douche.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2011, 07:19:28 AM »
I love Echo and his furry friends and don't have a problem with Ian's comments as they are just his opinion.

There's a difference between stating opinion and baselessly labelling someone as a drug addict. No matter who you are, if anybody acts like that then they are, unquestionably, a douche.
+1 Especially if one, and I'm sure both men have, had friends suffer at the hand of such, if not themselves!

Offline Spilling Over the Brim

• Stateless
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2011, 01:51:29 PM »
I'm hesitant to post this link because, upon looking at it again, I kind doubt it's legitimacy in terms of Bono's reaction - I don't doubt the quotes attributed to Rollins(I know he's said these things). Anyway some posters asked about the reaction from Bono when I mentioned he was hurt by some comments made by Rollins. I remembered "fuming" was the word used to describe Bono's reaction so I just did a Google search of "Henry Rollins Bono fuming" and this came up:You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Anyway, make of it what you will. Looking at it a few years down the road I can tell this piece more speculative than anything else. No one is quoted on Bono's behalf so there's no evidence he actually got mad. To me it just looks like a collection of nasty things Rollins has said about Bono/U2 throughout the(then)recent years stuffed into one article. In fact, it looks like an ego boosting piece for Rollins. I kind of doubt all the quotes are even from the same interview. Like I mentioned earlier, this was the only time I heard about Bono being upset with something one of his peers said, but now you have to wonder if this was true or not. Hardly matters now I guess, but some people seemed curious.

To my knowledge Rollins hasn't said anything about Bono for a few years now. I guess he's moved his crosshairs onto other things, but with McCulloch picking up all the slack lately, maybe it's time he starts the Bono bashing again ::)

Offline Velvet Dress

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2011, 08:28:54 AM »
McCulloch is funny.   He's so exxageratedly manic that his ribbing of Bono sounds almost affectionate sometimes (eg, his digs at Bono's weight), and I respect that he doesn't seem to take himself 100% seriously.

Rollins is not funny.   He sounds like a jerk with pretensions of objectivity for his venomous spleen who likes to give vent to the discomfort resulting from his recognition that, whatever his flaws (which I acknowledge can be irksome), Bono's a much finer human being than he is.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2011, 05:24:46 PM »
Being in the music industry, I wouldn't be surprised if McCollough has insider information about Bono's drug use.  While there has been no public announcements or press conferences, I think it is safe to speculate that Bono is still taking prescription drugs in relation to his spine injury.

And as has been known by all of us, Bono has always been out of his mind or else he would never be able to write as beautifully as he does. All genuises are out of their mind.

So I do believe Ian McCollough, you just need to get the context in which he said those things.

Cheers,

J

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2011, 09:48:47 PM »
Hate to say it, but at the Paris 1987 JT concert Bono's eyes look a little too glossy to me and he prances around a bit too languidly at times. In fact, I wondered how he could give such an awesome vocal performance, which he definitely did.

Jick, you really think he's still on the painkillers from the surgery? Yikes!

Offline Velvet Dress

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2011, 07:46:42 AM »
If the injury was as serious as it apparently was, he probably still needs pain meds, especially with all the stress his spine took by him going back on tour so soon (relatively) after the surgery.

It has to be said, with all affectionate and fond respect for the man, that his weight probably isn't doing his spine any favours either.

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2011, 08:31:02 AM »
Is it possible that Bono is on drugs?  Could that explain Spider-Man, American Idol, Oprah and Glee?

Offline striker

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Dream Out Loud
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2011, 07:33:36 AM »
I think they've done a good job in hiding that aspect of their lives. Most bands wind up on the news & tabloids because they just can't control themselves with the substances, but U2 has pretty much dodged that claim throughout their career. I'm thinking it's because of their humanitarian work, and their spiritual beliefs masking that other part of their lives.
I remember reading a quote from Bono where he said he didn't "trifle with hallucinogens." Why not? Has he ever done it? Personally I think he has, and that isn't his favorite poison. Adam further stated that you "wouldn't want to be on the wrong drugs in front of all those people because it's a full on assault," or whatever. Quotes like those make me realize that they've been on various stuff while performing, and if you look at their early 90s work, you'll see that.
You think they only drank alcohol and smoked weed? I think people need to come to terms that their favorite musicians are all on something. In that line of work, it's most likely cocaine, since that gives them a boost of energy and that extreme sense of self confidence. The theatrics of Mr. Macphisto/Fly/etc show that.

I think they still do it, just not as much due to their age and the fact that everyone has a cell phone and a camera. It's harder to get away with that stuff.

Offline maymay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2011, 08:51:11 AM »
I think they've done a good job in hiding that aspect of their lives. Most bands wind up on the news & tabloids because they just can't control themselves with the substances, but U2 has pretty much dodged that claim throughout their career. I'm thinking it's because of their humanitarian work, and their spiritual beliefs masking that other part of their lives.
I remember reading a quote from Bono where he said he didn't "trifle with hallucinogens." Why not? Has he ever done it? Personally I think he has, and that isn't his favorite poison. Adam further stated that you "wouldn't want to be on the wrong drugs in front of all those people because it's a full on assault," or whatever. Quotes like those make me realize that they've been on various stuff while performing, and if you look at their early 90s work, you'll see that.
You think they only drank alcohol and smoked weed? I think people need to come to terms that their favorite musicians are all on something. In that line of work, it's most likely cocaine, since that gives them a boost of energy and that extreme sense of self confidence. The theatrics of Mr. Macphisto/Fly/etc show that.

I think they still do it, just not as much due to their age and the fact that everyone has a cell phone and a camera. It's harder to get away with that stuff.

I know this is a somewhat sensitive subject - but I think you might have a point, esp. re the early 90's. I've seen some close-ups of MacPhisto with pretty glossy eyes.  ::)

But hey - I don't really care if they've used, and what they've used if they've used. But it would be really hard to live that livestyle and avoid at least trying out some substances.

We all know about Adam's issues...              ..we know about Edge's mushroom experiment...                    ...IMO as long as it won't take over their lives: none of my business.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 08:52:42 AM by maymay »

Offline striker

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Dream Out Loud
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2011, 09:22:45 AM »

I know this is a somewhat sensitive subject - but I think you might have a point, esp. re the early 90's. I've seen some close-ups of MacPhisto with pretty glossy eyes.  ::)

But hey - I don't really care if they've used, and what they've used if they've used. But it would be really hard to live that livestyle and avoid at least trying out some substances.

We all know about Adam's issues...              ..we know about Edge's mushroom experiment...                    ...IMO as long as it won't take over their lives: none of my business.

Absolutely. I think being put in a position of power and fame will eventually change your views on it over time. Especially since they have to perform hundreds of shows, flying all over the world. While you and I can generally call in sick to work without a problem, they don't necessarily have that freedom since thousands of people are depending on them. They have to perform, through thick and thin.

Not only that, can you imagine playing the same song a few thousand times? Doing the same act over and over again? I don't care what it is, or how much people like it, some type of "boredom" will kick in over time. You need to view things differently, and that's where "drugs" come in. Look at the Beatles, or the Stones, or any other band that have put amazing music out there all these years. Drugs were a huge influence, and no band out there is any different.

And by the way, I say that with a huge respect for the band. I'm not putting them down in any way. I think they've made incredible, life changing music (hence me being on this board), and I know a lot of that is because of mind altering substances. That's what it does--it changes the way you not only view yourself, but your work/craft.
It's too bad the media runs that s*** to the ground with misinformation. Nobody should be judging what someone else is doing, especially when they are on some type of vice themselves.

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2011, 10:01:46 AM »
Yes a bit of weed maybe, but I think Bono's too fond of a drink (and life in general) to care about experimenting with drugs. He's intellectually curious in ways which can't be fed by drugs and I've always thought his showmanship came from within and not via outside help. Plus, he's seen enough of the effects hard drug use had on other people. I think the same about Edge. Larry can't tolerate them by what he's said and while Adam came closest to experimenting, his problems were all about alcohol (often using marijuana as a replacement for drink). These days, it looks very much like Bono is on painkillers, and Adam is on tea leaves.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2011, 10:57:55 AM »
It's funny to see fan sites acting like they have any sort of inside knowledge on the use of drugs (that includes alcohol)...it speaks volumes that for a rock band with over 30+ years of experience, their worst instance is the bass player getting drunk and being caught with marijuana once. And guitar player trying "crazy shrooms".

At that level of fame it's impossible to hide any serious (ie Rolling Stones level) habit. Or the consequences of it.