Author Topic: What's the point of Viva Davidoff?  (Read 3355 times)

Offline jw

• Intellectual Tortoise
What's the point of Viva Davidoff?
« on: November 22, 2011, 02:29:21 PM »
I stumbled across Viva Davidoff today - something I haven't heard in years.  Viva Davidoff is a b-side on the Miss Sarajevo single.  It's four and half minutes of atmospheric wind blowing and clattering.  It's probably the least musical thing U2 has ever done.  Okay, okay, it's probably more Eno than U2.  Can anybody fathom why this was released?  I'm curious if there's something I'm not understanding.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
Re: What's the point of Viva Davidoff?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 02:36:20 PM »
Well Enos work is not for everyone. He never claimed he wanted to rule the charts. If he is causing you puzzlement then maybe that is enough. Maybe that was his goal as an artist.

I think Enos experiments are worthy because they challenge the traditional notion of what it is in a song. He deters conventional thinking and opens up the possibilities inherit in art. When the possibilities are inherent in art they are possible in life. This is priceless.   

Enos work also demands that listeners think about the recording process. When he puts crickets on a track it allows the listener to expand their palette of what is possible. For further info on this topic check out one of Enos musical influences,
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login 

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 07:24:48 PM »
Has elements of John Cage to it as well.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 08:30:02 PM »
oh WOW i love this song and thank you for making this thread. i had 100% forgotten this song. this single was one of the first u2 singles i ever got, yea yea yea its not u2 etcetcetcetcetc

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 11:40:07 PM »
Trying something different?

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 06:26:09 AM »
Trying something different?

X2

Offline jw

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 07:14:08 AM »
Well Enos work is not for everyone. He never claimed he wanted to rule the charts. If he is causing you puzzlement then maybe that is enough. Maybe that was his goal as an artist.

I think Enos experiments are worthy because they challenge the traditional notion of what it is in a song. He deters conventional thinking and opens up the possibilities inherit in art. When the possibilities are inherent in art they are possible in life. This is priceless.   

Enos work also demands that listeners think about the recording process. When he puts crickets on a track it allows the listener to expand their palette of what is possible. For further info on this topic check out one of Enos musical influences,

I can understand the use of non-traditional sounds and processes.  I would consider myself more likely to enjoy that kind of stuff than the average person.   But I can't even identify Viva as musical.  If I heard it playing without knowing what I was listening to, I'd have no idea that I was listening to music.  And being odd for oddity's sake usually isn't a good thing.

Oh, well.  just one of those things.  Thanks for the reference on Steve Reich.  I watched a bit of a youtube video about Reich (which happened to have Eno in it too).  I might have to look more into him.

thanks!

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 09:11:41 AM »
I never thought that was a bad piece, but then I enjoy Brian Eno when I'm in the mood. 

Actually, this thread makes me realize that the whole debates and discussion about the Passengers album and the fact U2 shied away from calling it a U2 album is probably actually a good one.  After exploring Brian Eno's work, especially that with David Byrne, it makes me realize that the Passengers album is kind of a mixed album of Brian Eno and U2 taking leads.  My Life in the Bush of Ghosts was a Brian Eno album with David Byrne as guest.  This is contrary to the Everything that Happens Will Happen Today album where David Byrne was the primary musician.  Passengers has its share of Brian Eno tracks (first few tracks, last few) and then its share of U2 like tracks (Slug, Ms Sarajevo).  This combination warranted a different name, and I respect that now... Sorry for the digression.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 04:39:38 PM »
Both of those Byrne/Eno albums are really great. I was expecting Here Lies Love to be as good but it wasn't.     

Offline KitCat

• Precious Stone
  • looking for a way up
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 11:52:36 AM »
Larry is quite right, it is very self indulgent and art for art's sake. But I quite like it.

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 05:11:20 PM »
first mistake is thinking of it as a u2 track. passengers had eno as an official member and much more significant musical director and was a different project with different results

Offline shorne

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Two crap albums in a row and we're done...
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 01:03:14 PM »
It's just art for art's sake.  Think of it as a painting that you don't get.  That's all.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 07:28:46 PM »
Yeah, as a piece, it sort of comes close to just marking time.  "Here's 4 minutes of some weird noises."  That said, I think Passengers as an album works pretty well.  My biggest complaint with the album is the inclusion of the last track.  The second-to-last one (I think they call it Theme from the Swan?) makes a remarkably effective coda to the AB/Zooropa era--then the last one barges in and just kind of interrupts the mood.  A simple reworking of the track list would probably fix this, though I've never bothered.  I also found it awesome that one of the last tracks from that era (as I consider it, anyway), is a remix of the first song on AB.  It seemed appropriately "full circle" to me.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 11:55:45 AM »

I can understand the use of non-traditional sounds and processes.  I would consider myself more likely to enjoy that kind of stuff than the average person.   But I can't even identify Viva as musical.  If I heard it playing without knowing what I was listening to, I'd have no idea that I was listening to music.  And being odd for oddity's sake usually isn't a good thing.

Oh, well.  just one of those things.  Thanks for the reference on Steve Reich.  I watched a bit of a youtube video about Reich (which happened to have Eno in it too).  I might have to look more into him.

thanks!

Just be thankful it's a b-side on a minor single rather than the lead single from Pop.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 06:30:26 AM »
There is a reason this is an outtake. I listened to it once inside a store and decided it's not worth buying the single for.