Author Topic: You Glorify the Future, While the Past Dries Up  (Read 9122 times)

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
Re: You Glorify the Future, While the Past Dries Up
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2011, 01:45:52 AM »
Great discussion and I for one would like to see Exile employed as U2's coach/mentor to help them through all the mindgymnastics they get tied up in. Might help them get that new album out next year (no pressure Exile!)

I agree - instead of ignoring the past and if indeed there is 'writer block' out there they should perhaps go back and revisit what went before. If nothing else they might remember how that 'moment' in the studio felt when a song was born. 'One' has obviously stuck.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2011, 02:30:19 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Great discussion and I for one would like to see Exile employed as U2's coach/mentor to help them through all the mindgymnastics they get tied up in.

Aw shucks. But then, I couldn't even get a job as an @U2 staffer, and I'm used to actually getting paid for my writing....
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 03:06:43 AM by The Exile »

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2011, 04:52:00 AM »
Well, TheExile, this is quite an exciting subject you have brought to the fore and to the forum here.
Given the fact that the influence of U2 working on bonus tracks for the "Unforgettable Fire" reissue can be felt on that one's immediate predecessor "No Line On the Horizon", my guess is their next album will have a certain "Achtung Baby" influence. Songs like "Return Of the Stingray Guitar", "Flowers Of Glastonbury" and "A Boy Falls From the Sky" already have got this "Achtung Baby" influence arrangements-wise. This is proof enough for me that when U2 busy themselves with their past work, their new work will be inspired by it. Bono most likely knows about that fact and because he wants U2 to sound fresh and relevant every time they put something out, he is not too keen on going back to the old material.

However, if there is one album of U2's past which I would like the group to listen to before going into the studio next time, it would be "Under A Blood Red Sky", for the sheer energy it posesses.

But for now, I expect the Danger Mouse sessions album to turn out great even without any need to dig into the past.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2011, 05:50:23 AM »
Considering how much their guitar player has been borrowing from their past, this really doesn't sound like a good idea. In fact working with Eno/Lanois/Lillyhite is what partially contributed to so many familiar sounds on the last two albums. Bring on Danger Mouse, Rick Rubin, Nigel Godrich or whoever else that can get them to a new sound.

And considering the R-named bands U2 should quasi emulate; one of them stopped existing this year, and hasn't been touring for years. The other formally disavowed making full fledged albums and opted to make EPs. Also had not toured for years.
Yeah... I like my bands to make music, and tour the albums they make. If they stop touring they might as well drop it all, as far as I'm concerned.

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2011, 06:11:30 AM »
Do a lot of artists listen to/watch/read their own past work?  I've heard lots of actors say they really don't like to watch their own movies.  Obviously I'm not an artist, but I don't like to hear how my voice sounds on a recording.  I agree U2 should appreciate how great their catalog is, but it'd be weird if Bono's ipod was only filled with U2 stuff.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2011, 07:47:14 AM »
I think it all is subjective to the listener.  When I was 17 and seeing U2 for the first time on the Zoo TV tour, they were making press about how they weren't doing any material from before the Unforgettable Fire album.  And even as a relatively recent convert, I was kind of thrilled that they were being so bold--while I'm sure any older fans who loved War could have been disappointed.  Fast forward to the 360 tour, and I'm the grumpy fan wondering why all the 90's material I love had been shelved in favor of the 00's material, which I did not.

I will say, it would seem that recently they have been faced more with acknowledging their past through the reissues, and particularly with the AB one, where there's the documentary and all the press around it.  Almost to an uncomfortable degree, where the line of questioning seems pretty close to, "your last album disappointed everyone....can you go back to being as great as you were when you did AB?"

I'm not sure I've actually answered anything here...just my thoughts on things.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2011, 09:47:56 AM »
I think it all is subjective to the listener.  When I was 17 and seeing U2 for the first time on the Zoo TV tour, they were making press about how they weren't doing any material from before the Unforgettable Fire album.  And even as a relatively recent convert, I was kind of thrilled that they were being so bold--while I'm sure any older fans who loved War could have been disappointed.  Fast forward to the 360 tour, and I'm the grumpy fan wondering why all the 90's material I love had been shelved in favor of the 00's material, which I did not.

I will say, it would seem that recently they have been faced more with acknowledging their past through the reissues, and particularly with the AB one, where there's the documentary and all the press around it.  Almost to an uncomfortable degree, where the line of questioning seems pretty close to, "your last album disappointed everyone....can you go back to being as great as you were when you did AB?"

At the end of 360, they were doing lots of AB, but only a paltry nod to Pop & Zooropa. If they want to do a best of, I wish they'd do 2 or 3 songs from each album AFTER 6 or so of their most recent album's tracks. For me, NLOTH was a bit like Pop in that on a first listen you wonder what is THIS?! However, now I not only love Pop but also NLOTH - because I've actually listened to them!

The band should have been bolder in owning NLOTH. They had an captive audience of over 7 million for over 2.5 years...why not do your latest thing?  :-[

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2011, 11:11:48 AM »

This is what I'm talking about. Please understand that I am not advocating U2 parodying their older sound per se, but I am wondering if engaging their past a bit more frequently would enable them (1) to remember how ______ they once were (fill in the blank appropriately), and (2) recognize when they inevitably resort to comfortable patterns and well-worn formulae.

After listening to Bono talk since 360 ended about quitting if they can't end their irrelevance, and after hearing Adam's remark about "moving away from that chimey guitar sound," and Larry's desire for "total reinvention," it made me realize that it was wrestling with how bold and fearless they once were that is contributing to their attitude now. I applaud this, and wish both that they'd have done it sooner, and that they would do it more often.

Look back in order to look forward, is what I'm saying.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2011, 12:24:59 PM »

This is what I'm talking about. Please understand that I am not advocating U2 parodying their older sound per se, but I am wondering if engaging their past a bit more frequently would enable them (1) to remember how ______ they once were (fill in the blank appropriately), and (2) recognize when they inevitably resort to comfortable patterns and well-worn formulae.

After listening to Bono talk since 360 ended about quitting if they can't end their irrelevance, and after hearing Adam's remark about "moving away from that chimey guitar sound," and Larry's desire for "total reinvention," it made me realize that it was wrestling with how bold and fearless they once were that is contributing to their attitude now. I applaud this, and wish both that they'd have done it sooner, and that they would do it more often.

I'm getting increasingly worried that they only said that to appear in a '90's mode' for the purpose of promoting achtung baby, and that it was more of a marketing/publicity strategy than their genuine feelings on how they must progress  :-\

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2011, 02:06:28 PM »

At the end of 360, they were doing lots of AB, but only a paltry nod to Pop & Zooropa. If they want to do a best of, I wish they'd do 2 or 3 songs from each album AFTER 6 or so of their most recent album's tracks. For me, NLOTH was a bit like Pop in that on a first listen you wonder what is THIS?! However, now I not only love Pop but also NLOTH - because I've actually listened to them!

The band should have been bolder in owning NLOTH. They had an captive audience of over 7 million for over 2.5 years...why not do your latest thing?  :-[

Without getting into an argument about NLOTH's merits or lack-thereof, I saw 360 when they first started in the US.  I counted a small handful of songs from the 90's--which did thankfully include Your Blue Room, but AB was down to maybe 2 songs, with nothing from Zooropa or Pop, I think.  By the time they were doing more 90's stuff in the set, I'd lost interest in paying that kind of money ($250?!?!  No thank you) to see the show again.  Had I liked NLOTH more, then maybe I wouldn't have minded losing the 90's stuff.  As it was, though, I'm the guy who'd have preferred a full-on nostalgia tour to the attempt to fill the set with NLOTH and other 00's songs.  Which is basically just that--the people who loved NLOTH and wanted more emphasis on it during the tour are akin to me back in 1992, reveling in the new stuff and not minding losing their "older" fans by not playing War stuff.  We could argue about whose tastes were "better", or whatever, but that's the main gist.

I will say, captive audience that I was, playing MORE stuff from NLOTH wouldn't have gotten me to like it any better.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2011, 09:31:23 PM »
... the people who loved NLOTH and wanted more emphasis on it during the tour are akin to me back in 1992, reveling in the new stuff and not minding losing their "older" fans by not playing War stuff.  We could argue about whose tastes were "better", or whatever, but that's the main gist.

I will say, captive audience that I was, playing MORE stuff from NLOTH wouldn't have gotten me to like it any better.

I'm a bit torn on this, as I don't like the idea of a nostalgia tour in general, but when I saw 360 on its final leg I enjoyed it way more than I did back when they played 7 NLOTH songs (and I really like NLOTH).

Steering us back on topic, I wonder what would have happened if U2 had sat down together in October of '08 and listened to Behind and Bomb straight through? Would they have still pulled NLOTH at the last minute and tried to make it more radio-friendly? Or would they have realized they were in a rut with songs like Crazy Tonight?

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2011, 11:09:04 PM »
Why do you make the same thread every 3 months?

omg i know lol. prolly i should try and keap things to less words lol. if you hadnt of tole me that i wouldnt of known that i keep repeating myself roflmao.

Not to criticize you or your opinions, but you make the same thread every few months, stating very similar opinions.  I don't know, it's just getting old.  You just change the titles a little bit too, and maybe just reword what you said last time

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2011, 11:26:45 PM »

omg i know lol. prolly i should try and keap things to less words lol. if you hadnt of tole me that i wouldnt of known that i keep repeating myself roflmao.

Not to criticize you or your opinions, but you make the same thread every few months, stating very similar opinions.  I don't know, it's just getting old.  You just change the titles a little bit too, and maybe just reword what you said last time

First off, I have never once suggested anything close to U2 revisiting their back catalogue. Secondly, not everyone likes the same kinds of discussions on here. I usually don't participate in the "Bono is rad" or "Adam's so hot" threads because they don't interest me. I rarely start a discussion unless I feel I have something worth saying, and as you know, the threads I start tend to cater to those who love to think, who are analytical, comfortable being critical of U2, and who take the time to post longer and well thought-out replies.

If you don't like my posts, then don't read them, I don't really care. But to take the time to criticize me for saying something vaguely similar to what I wrote three months ago? That's just being petty.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2011, 12:56:15 AM »

And I agree totally with this. I think it may help unblock the view on irrelevance

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2011, 05:17:45 AM »

I don't agree with this assessment I have to say. I think Exile's threads are always about different things. They often express dissatisfaction with some decisions the band are making, but I guess he finds it more interesting to have that type of discussion than just waxing lyrical all the time.