Author Topic: You Glorify the Future, While the Past Dries Up  (Read 9125 times)

Offline Gavin Tuesday

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: You Glorify the Future, While the Past Dries Up
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2011, 12:58:30 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
And considering the R-named bands U2 should quasi emulate; one of them stopped existing this year, and hasn't been touring for years. The other formally disavowed making full fledged albums and opted to make EPs. Also had not toured for years.

What are you talking about? Rush is still touring, and putting out albums.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2011, 01:08:01 PM »
And considering the R-named bands U2 should quasi emulate; one of them stopped existing this year, and hasn't been touring for years. The other formally disavowed making full fledged albums and opted to make EPs. Also had not toured for years.

I'm confused by this as well.  Is the other "R" band Radiohead?  They're also still putting out albums and touring.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2011, 04:54:51 PM »

I'm confused by this as well.  Is the other "R" band Radiohead?  They're also still putting out albums and touring.

he is referring to Radiohead, yes. but yea they put out albums and touring. so i guess i don't get the "other"?? R bands?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2011, 05:08:22 PM »
Look back in order to look forward, is what I'm saying.

Didn't they do that when the 1998 'Best Of' the 80's album was compiled, and then they cooked up ATYCLB.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2011, 05:19:54 PM »
Look back in order to look forward, is what I'm saying.

Didn't they do that when the 1998 'Best Of' the 80's album was compiled, and then they cooked up ATYCLB.

It would be interesting to discuss how ATYCLB differs from AB, in that they both are examples of U2 shunning what came before and doing something completely different. It's possible that they are both representative of the very same boldness, and that most of us dislike ATYCLB simply because our tastes don't prefer it.

But I don't think it's that simple. When U2 walked away from their late-'80s identity, it wasn't because they perceived that their fans were losing interest or because they weren't filling up stadiums. It was because they themselves needed to do something new in order to keep themselves interested and challenged.

But I don't think it's the same with U2 walking away from their late-'90s identity after Pop. In this case, it was more for commercial reasons instead of artistic ones that they shunned their former selves.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2011, 06:09:01 PM »
That's a fair point.  I'm not a big fan of ATYCLB, but I could see the argument that the band simply wanted to get back to the sound of "four men in a room", and to write simple songs like the popular hits they admired in their youth.  To which I could also argue that they rarely before ever sounded content to just be "four men in a room"--everything from Edge's delay pedal and Eno and Lanois's production seemed to try to push out of the feeling of even BEING in a room.  Everything was spacious and atmospheric and cinematic, and there aren't many moments on that album or later that share the same sense of atmosphere.  Even the Joshua Tree, a fairly stripped down album, never really sounds that....modest.  It's a fine line between changing directions for their own inspiration, and changing directions in favor of something more marketable.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2011, 06:10:13 PM »
It's a fine line between changing directions for their own inspiration, and changing directions in favor of something more marketable.

That's the TROOF right there, son.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2011, 06:13:31 PM »
didn't i read somewhere that edge made bono listen to JT prior to recording ATYCLB?

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2011, 06:36:28 PM »
Perhaps, if U2 really want to reinvent themselves and break out of their comfort zone, they should maintain a better connection to the past that got them where they are today.

U2 are in such an advanced stage in their career to reinvent themselves.  Their priority is their career which means working to pay bills.  Reinvention is irrelevant.  What is more important to them since music is their livelihood is to make sure their music can still pay the bills.  Since they already have the fanbase who are growing older and having more spending power, it is imperative that U2 will not alienate these fans since they give U2 their hard-earned cash.  Thus, U2's most important job from now on is to maintain and protect their legacy and image so they can still maximize their profit based on their reputation, back catalogue, and their projected public image.

Cheers,

J

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2011, 09:00:03 PM »
"Their priority is their career which means working to pay bills. "

Bwahahahaha!!!!!!

Unless you mean "to pay the bills of the average 3rd world country"

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2011, 09:09:04 PM »
Perhaps, if U2 really want to reinvent themselves and break out of their comfort zone, they should maintain a better connection to the past that got them where they are today.

U2 are in such an advanced stage in their career to reinvent themselves.  Their priority is their career which means working to pay bills.  Reinvention is irrelevant.  What is more important to them since music is their livelihood is to make sure their music can still pay the bills.  Since they already have the fanbase who are growing older and having more spending power, it is imperative that U2 will not alienate these fans since they give U2 their hard-earned cash.  Thus, U2's most important job from now on is to maintain and protect their legacy and image so they can still maximize their profit based on their reputation, back catalogue, and their projected public image.

Cheers,

J

lol

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2011, 10:42:59 AM »

Bwahahahaha!!!!!!

Or the general living expenses of the likes of Bono, Adam Clayton, Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney etc.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2011, 10:54:15 AM »

Bwahahahaha!!!!!!

Or the general living expenses of the likes of Bono, Adam Clayton, Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney etc.

Pretty sure they could never work another day and still live the lifestyle to which they have become accustomed.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2011, 11:01:11 AM »

Bwahahahaha!!!!!!

Pretty sure they could never work another day and still live the lifestyle to which they have become accustomed.

Not if they're obsessed about accumulating wealth, they can't.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2011, 11:02:34 AM »

Bwahahahaha!!!!!!

Not if they're obsessed about accumulating wealth, they can't.

"accumulating" isn't the same as "working to pay the bills"