Author Topic: You Glorify the Future, While the Past Dries Up  (Read 9123 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: You Glorify the Future, While the Past Dries Up
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2011, 11:05:12 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
"Their priority is their career which means working to pay bills. "

Bwahahahaha!!!!!!

Unless you mean "to pay the bills of the average 3rd world country"

Or the general living expenses of the likes of Bono, Adam Clayton, Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney etc.

Pretty sure they could never work another day and still live the lifestyle to which they have become accustomed.

Not if they're obsessed about accumulating wealth, they can't.

"accumulating" isn't the same as "working to pay the bills"

If they want to continue accumulating wealth AND fund their lavish lifestyles, then they have to carry on working and earning to pay the bills.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2011, 11:09:24 AM »

Bwahahahaha!!!!!!

Or the general living expenses of the likes of Bono, Adam Clayton, Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney etc.

Pretty sure they could never work another day and still live the lifestyle to which they have become accustomed.

If they want to continue accumulating wealth AND fund their lavish lifestyles, then they have to carry on working and earning to pay the bills.

Of course that wasn't the poster said but thanks for adding in the qualifiers. I'm sure we all appreciate it.

Let me also add: If the want to buy a shipping company, Microsoft,  a fleet of large aeroplanes and numerous small islands in the pacific as well as pay the bills they will have to keep working.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2011, 11:18:49 AM »
And considering the R-named bands U2 should quasi emulate; one of them stopped existing this year, and hasn't been touring for years. The other formally disavowed making full fledged albums and opted to make EPs. Also had not toured for years.

What are you talking about? Rush is still touring, and putting out albums.

I'm confused by this as well.  Is the other "R" band Radiohead?  They're also still putting out albums and touring.
And considering the R-named bands U2 should quasi emulate; one of them stopped existing this year, and hasn't been touring for years. The other formally disavowed making full fledged albums and opted to make EPs. Also had not toured for years.

I'm confused by this as well.  Is the other "R" band Radiohead?  They're also still putting out albums and touring.

he is referring to Radiohead, yes. but yea they put out albums and touring. so i guess i don't get the "other"?? R bands?

Actually *she* is referring to Radiohead and REM. Who were never a valid comparison for U2, and certainly not with the lessened touring. Pretty sure they were at least a while ago, on record as saying they will not tour King of Limbs (itself a 8 songs/40 mins record). Now they got 10 dates out, and first tour in 4 years.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2011, 11:20:27 AM »

Bwahahahaha!!!!!!

Of course that wasn't the poster said but thanks for adding in the qualifiers. I'm sure we all appreciate it.

Yes, it is rather important to understand the motivation of U2 to carry on working.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2011, 11:26:39 AM »
Look back in order to look forward, is what I'm saying.

Didn't they do that when the 1998 'Best Of' the 80's album was compiled, and then they cooked up ATYCLB.

It would be interesting to discuss how ATYCLB differs from AB, in that they both are examples of U2 shunning what came before and doing something completely different. It's possible that they are both representative of the very same boldness, and that most of us dislike ATYCLB simply because our tastes don't prefer it.

But I don't think it's that simple. When U2 walked away from their late-'80s identity, it wasn't because they perceived that their fans were losing interest or because they weren't filling up stadiums. It was because they themselves needed to do something new in order to keep themselves interested and challenged.

But I don't think it's the same with U2 walking away from their late-'90s identity after Pop. In this case, it was more for commercial reasons instead of artistic ones that they shunned their former selves.

U2 didn't wake up thinking "we need the ca$h" in 2000. Flood (or was it Howie B?) mentioned how he used to take out various sounds in Popmart soundchecks, yet the sound kept getting bigger. U2 with Rattle and Hum was, for the first time, forced to take in some big - if some of it deserved - critisism, and they responded to it. And similarly with Popmart, except this time the bad tour start was to blame, along with US audience not responding well to Village People outfits in the video for the lead single. (their worst idea...well it was until Boots was elected the lead single) They got the irony in 1991 and why it was necessary, that was not the case in 1997.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2011, 11:33:15 AM »
Actually *she* is referring to Radiohead and REM. Who were never a valid comparison for U2, and certainly not with the lessened touring. Pretty sure they were at least a while ago, on record as saying they will not tour King of Limbs (itself a 8 songs/40 mins record). Now they got 10 dates out, and first tour in 4 years.

Their touring certainly hasn't been aggressive in the multi-year/stadium jaunts as U2, sure.  But U2 have been basically touring every 4 years, too.  Since 2000, U2 have done Elevation, Vertigo, and 360.  And in the same time, Radiohead have done tours for Kid A/Amnesiac, Hail to the Thief, and In Rainbows, with King of Limbs coming up.  Plus the small pre-In Rainbows tour I saw.

Offline Gavin Tuesday

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2011, 11:35:09 AM »
The notion that U2 are going to "reinvent" themselves at this stage of the game is absurd.  And if they attempted to (they won't) they'd look foolish.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2011, 11:41:34 AM »
The notion that U2 are going to "reinvent" themselves at this stage of the game is absurd.  And if they attempted to (they won't) they'd look foolish.

Yep, you just can't dismiss the age issue in any discussion about their future direction.  But that doesn't stop them from experimenting with their sound on the next album.

Offline Gavin Tuesday

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2011, 12:10:00 PM »

Yep, you just can't dismiss the age issue in any discussion about their future direction.  But that doesn't stop them from experimenting with their sound on the next album.

Of course...and they should.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2011, 01:22:51 PM »

Let's pretend for a moment that NLOTH, as a finished product, were in fact the quantum leap forward that everyone was purported it to be when it was in the production stage. Let's say it contained songs like F-BB, Soon, Breathe, COL, WAS, as well as a handful of other similarly odd or North African-influenced tracks.

If this happened, I would say without hesitation that U2 had made an experimental album, one that departed in some noticable way from what they'd been doing for the last decade by incorporating new sounds and new song structures.

There's no law that a band of U2's age can't do this kind of thing. They partially did it with NLOTH, and they might do it more courageously next time. I mean, by "reinvention" no one means they dye their hair and go get salon tans and tummy-tucks. They're a musical group, not a bunch of 40 year-old women.

Offline Gavin Tuesday

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2011, 01:28:08 PM »

There's no law that a band of U2's age can't do this kind of thing. They partially did it with NLOTH, and they might do it more courageously next time. I mean, by "reinvention" no one means they dye their hair and go get salon tans and tummy-tucks. They're a musical group, not a bunch of 40 year-old women.

Ha! Brilliant...and pretty f*****' funny. 

Then again, I'm not a 40 year old woman. Betty be careful there, or you're going to live up to your name. :)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2011, 01:35:31 PM »

I don't know, Bono could do with a tummy-tuck.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2011, 03:59:27 PM »

Let's pretend for a moment that NLOTH, as a finished product, were in fact the quantum leap forward that everyone was purported it to be when it was in the production stage. Let's say it contained songs like F-BB, Soon, Breathe, COL, WAS, as well as a handful of other similarly odd or North African-influenced tracks.

If this happened, I would say without hesitation that U2 had made an experimental album, one that departed in some noticable way from what they'd been doing for the last decade by incorporating new sounds and new song structures.

This is true. Reinvention doesn't mean dressing up as McPhisto again or trying to look sexy. It doesn't need to be outrageous to be a reinvention. They absolutely, 100% should reinvent themselves sonically and possibly in image too. But it needs to be done right.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2011, 07:00:50 PM »
If you had told someone in 1989 that U2 would do something like "Mysterious Ways" and ZooTV, they would have called you a madman.

I think U2 can still surprise us if they stop being so damn needy and self conscious and just let their freak flags fly. They're oh so good when they do.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2011, 10:21:58 PM »

he is referring to Radiohead, yes. but yea they put out albums and touring. so i guess i don't get the "other"?? R bands?

which band only made EPs?