Author Topic: You Glorify the Future, While the Past Dries Up  (Read 9124 times)

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
Re: You Glorify the Future, While the Past Dries Up
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2011, 10:55:44 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
There's no law that a band of U2's age can't do this kind of thing. They partially did it with NLOTH, and they might do it more courageously next time. I mean, by "reinvention" no one means they dye their hair and go get salon tans and tummy-tucks. They're a musical group, not a bunch of 40 year-old women.

I don't know, Bono could do with a tummy-tuck.

In the pic from last Friday night w/ Imelda May, he looks about 10lbs. slimmer through the mid section and thighs. His face also seems a bit slimmer. I suspect Ali is taking good care of him.  :D

And, I have 7 children; the last twins. I've heard zilch about any tummy tuck coming my way! Hmmmppphhhh!  >:(

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2011, 02:27:08 AM »
There's no law that a band of U2's age can't do this kind of thing. They partially did it with NLOTH, and they might do it more courageously next time. I mean, by "reinvention" no one means they dye their hair and go get salon tans and tummy-tucks. They're a musical group, not a bunch of 40 year-old women.

In the pic from last Friday night w/ Imelda May, he looks about 10lbs. slimmer through the mid section and thighs. His face also seems a bit slimmer. I suspect Ali is taking good care of him.  :D

And, I have 7 children; the last twins. I've heard zilch about any tummy tuck coming my way! Hmmmppphhhh!  >:(

Don't fret, mdmomof7, I'm pretty old myself (34, which is, like, 20 for a woman)....

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2011, 06:01:57 AM »

*facepalm*

i'm 30 is that old around here?

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2011, 09:54:46 AM »
Actually *she* is referring to Radiohead and REM. Who were never a valid comparison for U2, and certainly not with the lessened touring. Pretty sure they were at least a while ago, on record as saying they will not tour King of Limbs (itself a 8 songs/40 mins record). Now they got 10 dates out, and first tour in 4 years.

Their touring certainly hasn't been aggressive in the multi-year/stadium jaunts as U2, sure.  But U2 have been basically touring every 4 years, too.  Since 2000, U2 have done Elevation, Vertigo, and 360.  And in the same time, Radiohead have done tours for Kid A/Amnesiac, Hail to the Thief, and In Rainbows, with King of Limbs coming up.  Plus the small pre-In Rainbows tour I saw.

Elevation ended in December 2001 and Vertigo started in March 2005. That is not a full 4 year gap, let alone the gap between December 2006 final shows of Vertigo and in June 2009 they were on tour with 360...and unless something goes spectacularly slow with the next tour, I really doubt it will be a four year gap. And U2 has done mini warm up tours on the last three albums too.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2011, 11:18:30 AM »
Actually *she* is referring to Radiohead and REM. Who were never a valid comparison for U2, and certainly not with the lessened touring. Pretty sure they were at least a while ago, on record as saying they will not tour King of Limbs (itself a 8 songs/40 mins record). Now they got 10 dates out, and first tour in 4 years.

Their touring certainly hasn't been aggressive in the multi-year/stadium jaunts as U2, sure.  But U2 have been basically touring every 4 years, too.  Since 2000, U2 have done Elevation, Vertigo, and 360.  And in the same time, Radiohead have done tours for Kid A/Amnesiac, Hail to the Thief, and In Rainbows, with King of Limbs coming up.  Plus the small pre-In Rainbows tour I saw.

Elevation ended in December 2001 and Vertigo started in March 2005. That is not a full 4 year gap, let alone the gap between December 2006 final shows of Vertigo and in June 2009 they were on tour with 360...and unless something goes spectacularly slow with the next tour, I really doubt it will be a four year gap. And U2 has done mini warm up tours on the last three albums too.

I'd say you're splitting hairs here.  Radiohead don't generally sign on for multi-year tours, which I admitted, and accounts for a slightly longer gap between the last date of one tour and the first day of the next.  They've toured enough over the past decade, for me, to argue against the idea that Radiohead "doesn't tour enough" for comparison to U2.  The next decade, who knows.  My impression was that the KoL tour had more dates to be announced.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2011, 11:37:41 AM »

*facepalm*

i'm 30 is that old around here?
Uh, if YOU are old, I am ancient...but I'm not. So, 30 is YOUNG around here!  ;D

Offline Mercurial

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2011, 02:03:08 PM »
Man, now I feel really old. :)

So, Bono was in that picture with Imelda May? I'm sorry, I was too busy staring at her to notice. :)

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2011, 04:38:01 PM »

This is looking quite promising for a Dublin show in my 50th year! Woo hoo! Yikes! I just got a 50 shiver! Impossible the number - I don't believe it for a minute!  ;)