Author Topic: A Modest Proposal...  (Read 786 times)

Offline K2

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • light my way
A Modest Proposal...
« on: December 16, 2011, 10:35:24 PM »
Here is a modest proposal that could solve several of our most pressing problems:

The problems:
1. Ireland's economy is in the tank; there aren't enough jobs to go around and the national debt is crushing the country.
2. Although completely undeserved, U2 has a bad reputation as tax evaders. Plus, they wanted to build a tower in Dublin for their new studio, and got nothing but bad press for that too. 
3. There are 3 extra Claws just lying around in storage waiting for homes. This must be costing a small fortune in storage lockers.
4. U2 probably won't go on tour for another 4 or 5 years, leaving its fans starved for live performance.
5. Hard core U2 fans complain bitterly about hearing the same set list over and over when they are on tour.

The solution (A modest proposal):
U2 should buy a nice piece of land somewhere in Ireland and install a Claw plus infrastructure to support it - stadium, roads, concessions, etc. They can build their new recording studio there too. They would perform there on a regular but not-too-frequent basis (say, 10-15 times a year) as well as make it an attraction for other outdoor music events.

This will:
a) provide a healthy boost to Ireland's construction and tourism industries; plus ongoing jobs to support the venue
b) improve U2's reputation as they invest in their native land
c) provide a home for at least one orphaned Claw
d) give devoted fans the opportunity to make a pilgrimage to Ireland and see U2 play between world domination tours
e) allow for more frequent performances and more flexibility in organizing concerts and set lists.

I know it sounds kind of like Branson or Las Vegas, but think of it as more like Paisley Park - on steroids. (For a time Prince was doing fan-club concerts in his studio. Dream come true for a lot of people).  And just imagine the possibilities if every so often U2 played 3 nights in a row, knowing most of the audience would be repeat visitors who are eager to hear under-performed treasures. The concerts themselves might be less rehearsed and the visuals less per-choreographed, but for some of us that would be more exciting.

Crazy....or genius?

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Elevated
  • What are the feelings you left behind?
Re: A Modest Proposal...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 10:59:31 PM »
We can dream, right?  Although I think their shows would have to be less frequent to be special.  The perma-Claw should be heavily marketed for other performances and festivals, as you suggested.

For the second time today, I find myself most excited by a new thread title.  Jonathan Swift is probably my 5th favorite Irishman. 

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 02:15:35 AM »
I thought you were going to suggest that the people of Ireland eat U2...

Offline Gavin Tuesday

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 03:07:07 AM »
Drunk posting.  Not cool.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 04:58:32 AM »
I guess the U2 theme park idea should be left to somebody else to organize and not be done by the band themselves. I guess they could never amongst the 4 of them agree to a rollercoaster based on "Zoo Station" or an autoscooter based on "Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car" or a pony riding area for the little ones based on "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses". Yet, the theme park probably would come with a chapel included in it. It's just that I don't know which song to base it on. "Yawey"?

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 05:00:05 AM »
It sounds too much like a Las Vegas residency to me, only in rainy Ireland instead. I'd love to see them in their homeland but only as part of an all new tour.

Offline K2

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • light my way
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 10:26:21 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Drunk posting.  Not cool.

No, not drunk. I thought about this a lot before posting. Somewhere between satire and serious.

I like Dali's ideas for theme park rides based on U2 songs. That could go somewhere interesting...

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 10:28:49 AM »
I actually think we had a U2 amusement park ride thread at one point.

Offline RunningtoStandstill (The League of Extraordinary BonoPeople)

• Airborne Ranger
  • There is no end to love.
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 02:47:40 PM »
And a U2 restaurant (which I am still determined to open one day...)