Poll

Which "trilogy" is your favorite?

early 1980s (Boy, October, War)
6 (9.5%)
late 1980s (Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, Rattle & Hum)
16 (25.4%)
the 1990s (Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Pop)
37 (58.7%)
the 2000s (ATYCLB, HTDAAB, NLOTH)
4 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: Best Trilogy?  (Read 3474 times)

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
Best Trilogy?
« on: December 23, 2011, 08:05:48 AM »
When U2 started out, Bono has said they formed before they knew how to play.  He often says he doesn't like to listen to his voice from the early albums because he sounds like a girl.  He's even said they didn't know how to write proper songs.  Yet, they created "I Will Follow," "Out of Control," "Gloria," "Sunday Bloody Sunday," and "New Year's Day."

As we all know, the band went in a new musical direction after War, when they "went to art school" by bringing in Eno (and Lanois) for Unforgettable Fire.  Adding more atmosphere and layers to their music, the band created anthems and hits such as "Pride," "Bad," "With or Without You," "I Still Haven't Found..." "Desire," and "All I Want is You."  However, after the stress of touring, going from arenas to stadiums, the critical failure of "Rattle & Hum" the movie, and fearing they were turning into something they didn't want to be, it was time to "dream it all up again."

Then, of course, with the new decade, the band reinvented themselves sonically with Achtung Baby - even adding much color to this decade's album covers as contrasted to the stark, black & white photos of the previous decade's covers.  "Chopping down the Joshua Tree," the songs of this decade,  "The Fly," "Even Better Than the Real Thing," "Lemon," "Numb," "Mofo," and "Discotheque" were more electronic and experimental.  Yet the band also created deep, heartfelt tracks such as "One", "Stay", and "Gone."  With the impending and later rocky start of the PopMart Tour, the poorer album sales, and critics calling it "Flop," the band has said they rushed the recording of the album to make the tour deadline and the released songs were unfinished.

Again a new decade and a change... applying for the best band in the world, the band decided to return to focus on "what they do best ... four guys playing together in a room."  They stopped throwing out The Edge's signature guitar riffs since that is their "U2" sound. Even their album covers returned to more of a black & white style like they had in the 1980s.  Coincidentally? the three albums the band created in the 2000s all have really long titles.  From the Grammy winning "Beautiful Day," to songs about loss with "Kite," "Stuck in a Moment", and "Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own," the band still created rockers like "Vertigo" and fan favorites such as "Magnificent," and "Moment of Surrender." However, the NLOTH album was cited as having less sales than previous albums and the band said the songs were good but didn't connect with the audience.  Adam blames choosing "Get On Your Boots" as the first single while others having pointed out that the live version does work better.  Regardless, the band trimmed some of the newer songs from the setlist as the 360 Tour continued.  Now, after reflecting on their 1990s reinvention, they are again at a crossroads, as Bono has said, to become "relevant."

So which "trilogy" is your favorite?

a. early 1980s (Boy, October, War)
b. late 1980s (Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, Rattle & Hum)
c. the 1990s (Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Pop)
d. the 2000s (ATYCLB, HTDAAB, NLOTH)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 09:10:47 AM by andrewau2 »

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Elevated
  • What are the feelings you left behind?
Re: Best Trilogy?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 09:22:44 AM »
Cool poll!  It may have been done before, but I don't mind! ;D

I know this isn't what the poll was asking, but I always looks at these things as "If you had to live your life with only three U2 albums...which would you choose?!" 

I really wanted to vote for the 2000s because I knew few other people would.  Many may call the tunes throw-away or safe for common consumption, so I guess that makes me a trashy common consumer. 

"The art school" trio was tempting, but there are times when I just don't feel like that kind of over-earnest U2.  Don't get me wrong, I love TUF and JT and most of RH, but I can't handle that U2 all the time.

This is the year I re-discovered Zooropa and cursed the years I'd given it only cursory listens.  Pop was the first U2 record I bought with my own money (I used to officiate soccer games for little kids, so that's saying something).  And of course AB's gotten lots of well-deserved attention this year.  90s U2 is what I've been rocking the most lately. 

I chose early 80s because that's what felt right for today.  Yes, there is the same over-earnestness in some places that sometimes bugs me about the TUF-JT-RH records, but there's also unabashed enthusiasm that seems less calculated and less produced than in the later records.  But again, this was just where I felt today. 

Offline Mercurial

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 09:53:30 AM »
AB-Z-Pop, it can't be anything else but this.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 10:17:32 AM »
Your on a forum where the 90s will most likely win  ;)

Offline pfctsqr

• Numb
  • And a f#$@ed up world it is, too
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 12:23:41 PM »
That was an easy vote.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 02:20:39 PM »
Oh Boy , October , War is a wonderful and fluid progression and reflects how the band was developing in their personal lives and well as the world outside of them. Hands down, this is my vote for a wonderful  trilogy!

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 03:54:47 PM »
I first got into them in the 90s, and you can't beat the first impression that is Zoo TV.  In that time I did get to listen to their 80s stuff, but when you're a teenage girl ogling The Fly, there's only one choice you can make as an adult in this poll.  In all seriousness, they had real BALLS in the 90s.  Not that they don't in the 2000s, but they did a bunch of stuff that you wouldn't think they would be good at...but they totally pulled it off. 

Pop and PopMart came at a time when I finally became 'legal', if you know what I mean.  I knew a few things about Pop Art and kitchy stuff, but in retrospect, not quite enough.  But I do love that period, it was so different, and even though I still didn't quite get all of that, I REALLY wanted to...which is why even though I have the same copy of POP I bought when it first came out, I bought a new copy last month (the usual 'wear and tear') being the reason.  The songs on that album in particular quite frankly reflects 2011 probably more than many 2011 albums (and the 'video stores') mentioned in Miami still exist where I am.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 04:02:44 PM by Kurukira »

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 04:40:23 PM »
Zooropa, Original Soundtracks vol.1, Pop

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 04:57:53 PM »
I could make a case for each era of three. Most bands would kill for just ONE of these trilogies!!  8)

The Grave

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 05:58:49 PM »
90's

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 06:58:58 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
90's
This.

Also, this trlogy idea is the reason why I think there should be three albums coming in the following years... they can't do one, done. They need to finish the trilogy.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 07:46:54 PM »
2000's

Offline LooseElectricity

• Wanderer
  • Running down the road
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 08:22:48 PM »
For those of us voting 90's (and yes, that's my vote as well) I think that a disclaimer should be added that you ain't just bringin' along POP as a red-headed stepchild to the majesty of AB and Zooropa. POP may be more crucial and necessary to U2's "development" than any other album, and yes, I'm talking to you, UF. This album doesn't just close off a trilogy, it makes it IMPLODE. POP is a kiss-off to every era U2 existed in and created for itself right up until that moment, a black hole of heart and music matter. And I could go on and on about how POP probably isn't even possible without Passengers. AB, Zooropa, Passengers and POP symbolize U2 as not only its most creative and daring, but at its most weary, bleak and jaded.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 08:33:54 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
For those of us voting 90's (and yes, that's my vote as well) I think that a disclaimer should be added that you ain't just bringin' along POP as a red-headed stepchild to the majesty of AB and Zooropa. POP may be more crucial and necessary to U2's "development" than any other album, and yes, I'm talking to you, UF. This album doesn't just close off a trilogy, it makes it IMPLODE. POP is a kiss-off to every era U2 existed in and created for itself right up until that moment, a black hole of heart and music matter. And I could go on and on about how POP probably isn't even possible without Passengers. AB, Zooropa, Passengers and POP symbolize U2 as not only its most creative and daring, but at its most weary, bleak and jaded.
Nice description of Pop, but I try to forget that Passengers ever existed... Not that it's bad, it's just so different!

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 08:47:44 PM »
The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree and Rattle And Hum - The albums they conquered the world with.