Author Topic: Who is U2 to you?  (Read 3230 times)

Offline AndyHusney

• Babyface
Who is U2 to you?
« on: February 12, 2009, 10:00:26 PM »
After hanging out on these boards for a long time and finally joining, I've noticed that everyone seems to have a different idea of what U2 is. Some see them as a different, boundary pushing band with trance and electronic influences (Pop, Zooropa fans) where as others see them as that anthemic, over the top band that has huge choruses and big vocals and writes songs about larger topics than just a girl. (ATYCLB, HTDAAB) And some just seem to like the earlier, hard hitting U2 that wrote songs such as Sunday Bloody Sunday, I Will Follow, and Bullet the Blue Sky and hate the "new" U2 that started with Achtung Baby. These ideas seem to start a lot of arguments where one person thinks their newer stuff is junk, while the other people loves the sound because that's what U2 is to them. I guess I'm just curious to see how everyone views U2 (plus I've wanted to see if I can actually start a topic and get an interesting conversation going!)

hurricane hugo

Re: Who is U2 to you?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 10:45:22 PM »
4 guys who can't sit still.

#@!

Offline u2boy11

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Miss Holiday Golightly, Traveling.
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 10:51:18 PM »
Four men crazy enough to believe they could change the world. And they changed mine.

Offline RedRocks83

• Stateless
  • I'm running down the road like loose electricity
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 03:15:58 PM »
U2 is my religion.

Offline vittau

• Refugee
  • A complete stranger into your home
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 03:34:48 PM »
four mofos ;D

My preferred era is the old one, my favorite album being October as you can probably judge by my avatar image.
But I DO enjoy a lot the newer U2, and I think it's a good thing they're always trying to change their sound. Could've become quite boring after all these years...

You see, I became a fan of U2 watching the Vertigo Tour show (in São Paulo, Brazil) on the TV. It's far from being their best, but it was more than enough to attract me. Then I got to know their older stuff, and I was amazed. :D

Offline Lesmo

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 05:54:59 PM »
Who?

Offline Mr. T

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 06:25:26 PM »
a band who've written and recorded ALOT of great songs.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 06:27:22 PM »
My U2 were the four youngsters from Dublin who had a hard hitting sound that was exciting to me. They were my age and they put some pure oxygen back into my love for music. I had to live through a lot of bad disco. (Some of it was fun, I'll admit to it.)  It was love at first sight for me on that first "date" and the love affair has never ended. I once compared it to a marriage-over the years it changes (sometimes not always for the better), but that doesn't mean  I stopped caring. It is just different. I plan to remain loyal to my "guys" until death do us part!
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

It's Valentine's Day so I stuck with the love and wedding theme! ;)

Offline Kenitai

• Wanderer
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 04:32:41 AM »
U2 is one of the legends that in my opinion have surpased any of the previous legend rockbands. In music, success etc.

Offline Discotheque Girl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • You break and enter my imagination
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 05:01:26 AM »
Legends

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 07:10:31 AM »
For me 4 guys who make GREAT music. I think we do debate here - for me I actually like all their albums but some sit better - like October. There are some members who don't want to view the whole scheme of things - that's fine - just does my nut in when as you rightly point out it enters tribalism.

So to sum up they make S**t hot music!!

Offline CGE

• Precious Stone
  • Without TUF there never would have been JT- Edge
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 07:37:29 AM »
A music group who have made songs that have lasted, songs that speak to me and millions of others, music that hits the depth of many souls.
They are four guys who are pretty much my age and we are from the same generation. They have always been there for me. I don't really know why the music gets into my head, but it does. I don't know what I would do without it. It's like a drug, an addiction.
U2's scope of work for 30 years has changed and evolved with the times. Has it always been good? That is debatable and does get argued about alot around here. That's good, because the music means different things to different people.

They are 4 guys who have kept their little group together with ambition, creativity, and drive.
To me they are everything that music is.

Offline Van the Man Fan

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 08:36:53 AM »
I love all eras.  U2 are passion in music form.

Offline vickidvm

• Numb
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 08:45:42 AM »
Their music makes me feel truly alive
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 04:46:34 PM by vickidvm »

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 08:51:42 AM »
simply THE greatest band of all-time. they are generally regarded as one of the best, and they aren't even dead yet. that's saying something, lol.

i like stuff from all of their albums. generally, there are songs on each album to suit all tastes, and that's what i like. my favourite u2 era is the 90's, but that's not to say i don't like their output from, say, the last 2 albums, which Did contain some great music. yes, even the much-maligned HTDAAB contains some great moments.

I like the notion that they have never rested on their laurels, and to quote bono; "if it's interesting for us, it won't be bullsh*t for you either".

there has never been greater chemistry in any other band that i have heard.