Author Topic: 3 "out of nowhere" songs you want for the next tour  (Read 16233 times)

Offline OnlyU2

• Holy Joe
  • Who's to say what it is will break you
Re: 3 "out of nowhere" songs you want for the next tour
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2012, 01:31:41 PM »
North Star
Mercy
Glastonbury

"out of nowhere" since they have yet to be released . . . . .

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2012, 01:38:51 PM »
All 3 were played on the last tour though. Not exactly what I had in mind when I asked the original question...

Offline Allie79

• Numb
  • Mild, green and squeaky clean
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2012, 03:15:01 AM »
Wire
11 O'Clock Tick Tock
Surrender

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2012, 11:14:07 AM »
Wire would be spectacular, but I have some concerns about whether Bono could still sing it.

Offline Allie79

• Numb
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2012, 01:02:10 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Wire would be spectacular, but I have some concerns about whether Bono could still sing it.

Yeah, I know what you mean.
Bono's voice has always intrigued me, in the 80''s U2 toured almost non-stop. Which means that Bono spent a considerable amount of those years screaming and belting out songs with everything he got. But I think he damaged it during the Lovetown tour, during that tour Bono's lower, booming voice was at it's most intense, for example look at Hawkmoon 269 en God part II live.

After Lovetown he changed his singing techniques, during ZooTV we were introduced to his falsetto and after that he graduately started shifting from singing with a lower voice to a higher voice.

I don't really know  of that means that he has lost the ability to sing in a lower voice range or that he's just completely adjusted to singing in this higher voice.
He really amazed me during the final legs of the 360 tour, after his surgery his voice really improved, you would almost think that he had surgery on his vocal chords instead of his back.

Personally I think he can still use his 80's voice if he really wants to. So why doesn't he?
Well nobody knows more about his voice problems then Bono himself, so I think he may be a bit cautious to use it.

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2012, 01:44:02 PM »
It's not Bono's lower range that concerns me. He had no problems singing Until The End Of The World and The Wanderer on the 360 Tour. Those extremely high "such a cold man" and the "such a nice day" parts of Wire I just don't know if he could pull off anymore. The opera part in Miss Sarajevo was hit or miss on 360 from night to night, and those notes aren't as high as the ones in Wire I don't think.

zootv

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2012, 01:53:30 PM »
11' o clock tik tok
Wire
Two Hearts

Offline Allie79

• Numb
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2012, 03:28:08 PM »
It's not Bono's lower range that concerns me. He had no problems singing Until The End Of The World and The Wanderer on the 360 Tour. Those extremely high "such a cold man" and the "such a nice day" parts of Wire I just don't know if he could pull off anymore. The opera part in Miss Sarajevo was hit or miss on 360 from night to night, and those notes aren't as high as the ones in Wire I don't think.

I just watched a video of a live performance of Wire

I think those particular sections aren't too high, however they are sung/yelled with a lot of power and energy.
The whole song is power, passion, drama and energy.
Bono could get away with singing those sections in a lower key if necessary, but I'm not sure if he can put in all the passion and energy that the song needs.

I think Wire is one of U2's most vibrant songs and I just can't believe that it's never been played since TUF tour.
Such a shame.

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2012, 03:38:44 PM »
That live performance is in a lower key than the album version, and the "such a cold man, such a cold heart" part is not sung in that screeching falsetto that he uses on the album.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2012, 04:48:38 PM »
Atomic Dog
Belfast Child
Drowning Man
do you mean this?
cuz if so - :D :D :D

That's the one.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2012, 04:49:15 PM »
Belfast Child

they should totally do a live mashup - sing Belfast Child's melody and lyrics over with or without you's music.  :D

That could be interesting.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2012, 04:05:44 PM »

I agree about The Wanderer, he sounded great.  I think he can definitely still pull off the 80's voice in some fashion, he did that at points on Elevation (The Sweetest Thing at times) and Vertigo (With Or Without You at times).  But Bono was consistent night in and night out during Miss Sarajevo during the 2010 legs, but it was in 2011 when the opera part started being hit or miss, simply due to 100+ shows

Offline spooked1oo

• Numb
  • Fourty-five lightyears from home
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2012, 07:20:28 AM »
Why Last Night On Earth was never played again after PopMart is beyond me.

It may not have been the biggest hit from Pop but it was a monster live and is a rocking good time that would have worked just fine on every tour afterwards.

Heck, any Pop song would have been incredible on the 360 tour, with the lighting effects and the screen.

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2012, 11:35:38 AM »
Discotheque would have been truly special.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2012, 11:40:03 AM »
I think Bono should mix more of his lower range with his higher range more often. It would probably help him in the long run and keep his voice stronger.