Author Topic: The RS 500 Greatest Albums of All Time  (Read 3062 times)

Offline Discotheque Girl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • You break and enter my imagination
The RS 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
« on: February 13, 2009, 05:03:14 AM »
U2 is number 26 with "The Joshua Tree"

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Thoughts?

Offline Bono in Bonolands

• Numb
Re: The RS 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 05:38:07 AM »
One person's opinion.

Offline Spaceman

• Child of Grace
  • Spaceman Jr.
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 06:00:54 AM »
Terrible, Terrible, Terrible list.

Offline ice_bergy

• Wanderer
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 06:40:16 AM »
WTF!! Why is Nirvana always ranked so high #17? seriously? better than all of U2's cataloge? This list lost all credibility with that.

Offline jjcruiser

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 07:07:34 AM »
They're idiots.  Rolling Stone is full of political hacks.  Look at their list of the best artists and who they have above U2.  Don't take it personally or seriously.

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 07:12:35 AM »
I keep saying it: Rolling Stone = Meaningless rubbish

Offline ice_bergy

• Wanderer
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 08:09:24 AM »
Doesnt it seem like U2 are always ranked lower than they deserve just because they are still relevant? i mean if Bono had died after Zooropa i think that AB and JT would make it into the top 15 IMO

Offline jjcruiser

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 08:17:35 AM »
Doesnt it seem like U2 are always ranked lower than they deserve just because they are still relevant? i mean if Bono had died after Zooropa i think that AB and JT would make it into the top 15 IMO

Yes, that's a great point.  If Elvis, John Lennon, JFK, Marilyn Monroe, Kurt Cobain, or even Heath Ledger were still alive there's no way they'd be as idolized now.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 08:45:41 AM »
If Pop isn't there, then it is a bad list.  Pop is better than most of the albums listed there.

Cheers,

J

Offline MarlinsFan7

• Stateless
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 09:02:30 AM »
I'm not a huge Nirvana fan, but I don't understand all this hate.  They paved the way for so many rock artists and revolutionized the grunge aspect of rock.  They opened the doors to rock bands such as Pearl Jam, Alice n Chains, Bush, and so so so many more.  Kurt Cobain or Nirvana may not be one the most talneted rock artists/bands, but they do deserve a helluva lot respect and I have no problem with their album being that hight.  however, not higher than U2...lol

Offline Sheworelemon

• Babyface
  • Lookin for to save my, save my soul!
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 09:50:03 AM »

Yes, that's a great point.  If Elvis, John Lennon, JFK, Marilyn Monroe, Kurt Cobain, or even Heath Ledger were still alive there's no way they'd be as idolized now.

They want you to be Jesus, they'll go down on one knee, but they'll want their money back if you're alive at 33.

Hang on a sec..Zooropa released in 1993, did you mean that so?

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 10:58:36 AM »
If Pop isn't there, then it is a bad list.  Pop is better than most of the albums listed there.

Cheers,

J

Whoa jick, careful. Your damaging your reputation.

Well, we agree on something. Yes, Pop should be on this list. Pretty bad list though, not really worth worrying about.

Offline ice_bergy

• Wanderer
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 02:11:54 PM »
I'm not a huge Nirvana fan, but I don't understand all this hate.  They paved the way for so many rock artists and revolutionized the grunge aspect of rock.  They opened the doors to rock bands such as Pearl Jam, Alice n Chains, Bush, and so so so many more.  Kurt Cobain or Nirvana may not be one the most talneted rock artists/bands, but they do deserve a helluva lot respect and I have no problem with their album being that hight.  however, not higher than U2...lol

Im not saying they didnt pave the road for those bands and i do give them alot of respect but this is a best of list and even you said they werent one of the more talented bands..

Sydney_Mike

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 03:01:06 PM »
B.I.B, I doubt it is one person's opinion. I'm sure these things are usually compiled by a committee or panel. Still agree with you though, that it is only a matter of opinion. 

Hard to critique many of the choices when I'm not familiar with the albums, but it does seem very odd that The Beatles should grab 4 of the top 10 albums. I know they were big and influential, but it does smack of myopia that they should secure so many of the top spots. The list also seems biased when you consider that the most recent release was London Calling in 1979. Considering the amount of material released in the following two decades, it is difficult to accept that not one album was worthy of making the top 10.

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 03:03:15 PM »
This list is old anyway - if it was updated it will include Britney Spears (OH THE HORROR)