Author Topic: New Years Day.....  (Read 475 times)

Offline wrldchamps04

• Numb
  • ^^rock n roll perfection^^
New Years Day.....
« on: January 23, 2012, 05:16:02 PM »
why and when did the boys stop using the last verse when doing this live? (...gold is the reason, for the wars we wage...)?

Offline Spilling Over the Brim

• Stateless
Re: New Years Day.....
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 09:42:22 PM »
Good question. I think the answer is they never included the last verse in live performances. There are some early performances which include the "Maybe the time is right" part to lead into the final chorus, but I don't believe this happened very often either - especially once they got The War tour underway. If you listen to the album version of the song there is a lot going on there at the end: You've got the piano part and at least two guitars chugging away. The guys just wouldn't have been able to recreate this part live. It's too bad because I do love the way it ends on the album, and I feel the semi-haunting outro with the fade out adds something to an already special and great song(I still think the album version is among their very best tracks).

Anyway I think they must have known the four of them alone wouldn't be able to recreate the song as it is on the album. Since U2's live shows at the time were stripped down(only the four of them playing) they most likely decided the best and most powerful/forceful way to end the song live would be by repeating the final chorus. Incidentally this is exactly how the song ends on the single version. At some point while recording War they probably decided it would be wise to have the single version be closer to something they could actually play on stage. If you listen to or watch some of the earliest performances of the song they seem to be flying by the seat of their pants as it is - though they did master it soon enough. To be honest I have always enjoyed this song live throughout their different eras despite it not being as epic as the album version.

Offline wrldchamps04

• Numb
  • ^^rock n roll perfection^^
Re: New Years Day.....
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 09:26:52 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Good question. I think the answer is they never included the last verse in live performances. There are some early performances which include the "Maybe the time is right" part to lead into the final chorus, but I don't believe this happened very often either - especially once they got The War tour underway. If you listen to the album version of the song there is a lot going on there at the end: You've got the piano part and at least two guitars chugging away. The guys just wouldn't have been able to recreate this part live. It's too bad because I do love the way it ends on the album, and I feel the semi-haunting outro with the fade out adds something to an already special and great song(I still think the album version is among their very best tracks).

Anyway I think they must have known the four of them alone wouldn't be able to recreate the song as it is on the album. Since U2's live shows at the time were stripped down(only the four of them playing) they most likely decided the best and most powerful/forceful way to end the song live would be by repeating the final chorus. Incidentally this is exactly how the song ends on the single version. At some point while recording War they probably decided it would be wise to have the single version be closer to something they could actually play on stage. If you listen to or watch some of the earliest performances of the song they seem to be flying by the seat of their pants as it is - though they did master it soon enough. To be honest I have always enjoyed this song live throughout their different eras despite it not being as epic as the album version.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this song live....I've never,(but will now!) noticed the single version ending, but my guess is that that verse was cut to make it shorter/radio friendly.....