Author Topic: Teenagers of today liking U2 ?  (Read 25941 times)

Offline OnlyU2

• Holy Joe
  • Who's to say what it is will break you
Teenagers of today liking U2 ?
« on: January 24, 2012, 09:18:23 PM »
Do today's teenagers like U2? Or are they too caught up in the crap music that my 2 teenagers listen to?  Rap music, Justin Bieber, Drake, Lady Gaga, Lil Wayne, are examples of what mine listen to.  They both say that U2 isn't their kind of music.  Yet, I caught my 17 year old son listening to Beautiful Day, Bad & Miss Sarajevo on youtube.  He admitted he likes those songs.  I think he doesn't want to admit he likes the music his mom listens to, and being that I constantly listen to U2, he claims he gets tired of hearing it, and says a lot of their songs are depressing.  My 14 year old daughter claims to like With or without you and Kite.  I offered to take them to see them on their next tour, and they both declined!!!  They didn't understand when I said seeing U2 live is an event everyone should experience! 

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
Re: Teenagers of today liking U2 ?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 09:19:57 PM »
How the hell does you 17 year old son know Miss Sarajevo exists?

Offline OnlyU2

• Holy Joe
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 09:22:16 PM »
He saw me watching it on youtube, then days later, he was watching it

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 09:28:42 PM »
OnlyU2. I think that's exactly it - they don't want to like what you like if you liked it first. They do like Mysterious Ways, Beautiful Day, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For and I've caught them singing along to others.

They'll never admit it, though.

They will go w/ me whether they want to or not. I'm taking them to Coldplay, so they are obliged now.  ;)

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Elevated
  • What are the feelings you left behind?
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 09:31:38 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
How the hell does you 17 year old son know Miss Sarajevo exists?
Yeah, that's a pretty big subliminal victory on your part, OnlyU2  8)!

I've found that the more you force feed them U2, the more they'll resent it.  I guess it's that way with teenagers and just about anything.  The teenagers in my life don't get to actively reject my musical choices though; it's my class and we'll listen to what I like!

Some of them have become interested in more than just a few greatest hits, and then they decide to share their discoveries with me.  Did you know that , "U2 has a song with a piano in it!" and "The Edge is bald under that beanie!" 

Offline OnlyU2

• Holy Joe
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 09:40:06 PM »
I wouldn't say I force feed them U2, but it's what I listen to so they have no choice especially in the car.  The other day my 14 year old daughter had Kite stuck in her head, and kept singing "Who's to say where the wind will take you, who's to say what it is will break you, I don't know where the wind will blow, It's like I programmed it into their heads, lol.  And also, they both think that the band are "Old geezers" LOL !

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 12:42:37 AM »
I feel like I've always been a really rare case.  (I know I'm only 20, soon to be 21, but...) I've grown up on U2, thanks to my mom who has been a fan since the early 80's.  But my "fandom" has really skyrocketed to a point where I blow her out of the water.  I've been listening to U2 on a consistent basis for around 7 or 8 years now and I was hooked in 2000.  I credit my mom for exposing me, but I really discovered U2 and the beauty of their back catalog on my own.

I find that, outside of this forum, "kids" like me don't exist.  A lot of my friends from high school and my current friends in college like Beautiful Day, Vertigo, With Or Without You, and City Of Blinding Lights, but that's it.  U2 just isn't cool to them, sadly.

I exposed my younger brother (he's 15) to U2 a few years back and he's following in my footsteps, he's HUGE into them.  He came with me to see U2 in Philly this summer, it was his first concert in general ever and he had the time of his life.  Mission accomplished. 

I know we all don't want to see U2 try and compete on the radio with Lady Gaga and the like, and a part of me agrees.  But a part of me wants to hear their newest single on the radio over and over.  I want to see people my age and younger blaring a U2 song in their car.  I don't want to be the only one who likes this beautiful entity called U2. 

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 03:53:08 AM »
In the final analysis people are going to enjoy great music, regardless of the age at discovery.

I love the Rolling Stones even though I wasn't born when they made their best albums.

What definitely isn't cool is when people give consideration to whether their favourite music is popular, trendy or hip among their peers.

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 06:35:38 AM »
i think what tends to happen is alot of teens are into boybands and girlbands but as they  mature in life their taste changes some of them even look back at the bands they were into and cringe lol

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 10:37:50 AM »
I grew up with Bruce Springsteen, and then U2.

I don't care how people think of the music I like, because I like it. Everybody that knows me know how huge a fan of U2 I am. And I've gotten many friends of mine to actually like a song here or there of them due to my fandom. I consider that a huge success  :D

There were three kinds my high school. First, you have the ones who listen to the banal, repetitive pop, and only do because they like the beat or something like that. These people also are the ones who listen to techno etc.

Then you have the ones who listen to nothing but metal, screamo, hardcore music, etc. It mostly sounds like mindless noise to me, but to them apparently it doesn't.

Then you have the last group who listens to rap, all rap, and nothing but rap.

And finally you have me and a couple of other people who listen to all different kinds of music, and doesn't exactly stick to a certain kind. I will listen to pretty much anything you can name, and find something about it that I like. (This excludes country music).

A friend of mine commented on how much variance I have on my choice of music when we were working in my dorm room a little while back. I had played a U2 song, a soul song, a jazz song, I think a Gaga song, A Bruce track, a electronic track, a folk track, some underground rap song, a Massive attack song, a piano piece by some composer, and Exogenesis by Muse.

All music is good in some way I guess.

Offline Quenchable Thirst

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • It's a private show, no one else's gonna know
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 11:55:02 AM »
I'm 16 and I've been a fan since last year's January. No friends of mine share my interests for U2, obviously. They think "Without you" has great lyrics, so no wonder why they don't.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 12:38:00 PM »
I'm 16 and I've been a fan since last year's January. No friends of mine share my interests for U2, obviously. They think "Without you" has great lyrics, so no wonder why they don't.

What song is that??

Offline Quenchable Thirst

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • It's a private show, no one else's gonna know
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 01:28:10 PM »

What song is that??
The one with Guetta and Usher, it's on the radio 24/7. It's summer in here, so basically any crap song with a catchy beat becomes popular.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 01:36:24 PM »
I love U2 and I'm 15. But no one I know personally is like that. I've seen some people at school with 360 Tour shirts so they must like U2 enough to see them live. But most of the people I know at school listen to different music.

Offline RunningtoStandstill (The League of Extraordinary BonoPeople)

• Airborne Ranger
  • There is no end to love.
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 02:18:41 PM »
I almost think it's kindda nice not that many younger people like U2.  Makes it more special for us.  On the other hand, it would be nice....but then again a lot of my friends are older than me and do like U2, so I can't really complain.  Some folks get it, some folks don't.  It's all good...