Author Topic: Teenagers of today liking U2 ?  (Read 25958 times)

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
Re: Teenagers of today liking U2 ?
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 06:14:06 PM »
Sorry, but threads like these ask for skewed sample sizes. Bono know it, if you're popular with teens, you'll make the top 20. When was the last time U2 made the top 20? (don't answer). How I wish I was 13 again, the beginning of adolescence. Celebs (and also U2) like when they've made their mark on young teenagers. Youth is )@#$&#*$ currency

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 06:14:38 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Sorry, but threads like these ask for skewed sample sizes. Bono know it, if you're popular with teens, you'll make the top 20. When was the last time U2 made the top 20? (don't answer). How I wish I was 13 again, the beginning of adolescence. Celebs (and also U2) like when they've made their mark on young teenagers. Youth is )@#$&#*$ currency

Vertigo

The Grave

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 06:18:50 PM »
not really

Offline mrsamrocks2

• Numb
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 08:11:16 PM »

Vertigo
The Saints are coming with Green Day I think, 5 or 6 years ago...

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 08:53:39 PM »
Teenagers are going to enjoy their music.  Just like us older ones did when we were kids.  Unless the music is vulgar or promotes rape, violence, etc.  Let them listen to what they want. 

My grand daughter likes Taylor Swift.  I don't "make her" listen to U2.  But, when she is in our car.  Of course, we listen to a radio station that is family friendly. 

Offline Edgemonton

• Wanderer
  • Dream Out Loud
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012, 09:59:38 PM »
I'm 15, and I think U2 is great. Quite frankly, I can't stand the majority of the "in" artists these days. Also, a handful of my friends enjoy U2 also, and you can find sings like Beautiful Day and WOWY in their iTunes for a few more.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2012, 09:06:31 AM »
My 15-year old nephew loves U2.  Here he is playing U2 songs in his guitar:

I am biased but I think his playing is pretty awesome. I did the mix of the songs to take out the guitars so that the guitars he plays are live with real U2 music in the background.

Cheers,

J

Offline spooked1oo

• Numb
  • Fourty-five lightyears from home
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, 09:57:55 AM »
Teenagers are going to enjoy their music.  Just like us older ones did when we were kids.  Unless the music is vulgar or promotes rape, violence, etc.  Let them listen to what they want. 

My grand daughter likes Taylor Swift.  I don't "make her" listen to U2.  But, when she is in our car.  Of course, we listen to a radio station that is family friendly. 

Your grand daughter? I'm sorry, but that makes me think that most U2 fans are really old. I'm 15 and a little bit obsessed with their music, probably not unlike most of you older fans were in the 80's and possibly 90's.

My U2 story:

I started out with just the basics on my iPod (Beautiful Day, Vertigo). Eventually after listening to then for a while, I decided to experiment with more songs of theirs. I was sick of the radio songs with their repetitive subjects and shallow meanings, I was always looking for something more. At that point, I got COBL and Sunday Bloody Sunday. I loved the passion of SBS, so I decided to YouTube a live video of it. That led me to the Slane Castle performance. I was mesmerized. I was amazed of the passion and soul that the song had, and how it actually meant something to them. Soon after I think I downloaded some of the greatest hits (mostly from the U218 set), and took it from there slowly listening to more and more albums and downloading them whole. Once I had all of the studio albums (excluding Passenegers), I made my way through the B-Sides and Live performances. I now have over 600 U2 songs on my iPod. Every studio album, every live album (DVD rips), four or five bootlegs, the Achtung Baby Super Deluxe Edition (my personal favorite album), and 20 or 30
B-sides.

This all started about two years ago.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 09:59:35 AM »

Your grand daughter? I'm sorry, but that makes me think that most U2 fans are really old. I'm 15 and a little bit obsessed with their music, probably not like most of you older fans were in the 80's and possibly 90's.

My U2 story:

I started out with just the basics on my iPod (Beautiful Day, Vertigo). Eventually after listening to then for a while, I decided to experiment with more songs of theirs. I was sick of the radio songs with their repetitive subjects and shallow meanings, I was always looking for something more. At that point, I got COBL and Sunday Bloody Sunday. I loved the passion of SBS, so I decided to YouTube a live video of it. That led me to the Slane Castle performance. I was mesmerized. I was amazed of the passion and soul that the song had, and how it actually meant something to them. Soon after I think I downloaded some of the greatest hits (mostly from the U218 set), and took it from there slowly listening to more and more albums and downloading them whole. Once I had all of the studio albums (excluding Passenegers), I made my way through the B-Sides and Live performances. I now have over 600 U2 songs on my iPod. Every studio album, every live album (DVD rips), four or five bootlegs, the Achtung Baby Super Deluxe Edition (my personal favorite album), and 20 or 30
B-sides.

Sounds very similar to me. I had gotten Behind in like 2003 I think, and Bomb in 2006, and always liked listening to them but never thought much more of U2's music.

I currently am approaching 900 total U2 songs. (including live bootlegs etc.)  :D

Offline balchinian1

• Staring at the Sun
  • We could live forever if you've got the time
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2012, 10:04:35 AM »
Noone seems to like U2, but they like songs like Beautiful day, yet still refuse to listen to U2 as they think they are just some old rubbish band, even though they like the songs they have heard, stupid kids these days. (Im 16 by the way)

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2012, 10:45:49 AM »
Lots of younger people attend U2 concerts with their parents who are fans. That is how many discover how good they are!

I must say when I joined this forum, I was blown away by just how many young & very intelligent U2 fans are out there. I love when a band touches all ages. That is amazing & I sure hope that continues! It makes an old timer like me feel younger!!

Offline missey

• Child of Grace
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2012, 04:20:56 PM »

Your grand daughter? I'm sorry, but that makes me think that most U2 fans are really old. I'm 15 and a little bit obsessed with their music, probably not unlike most of you older fans were in the 80's and possibly 90's.

My U2 story:

B-sides.

Whoa, that's pretty insulting to Inishfree, I think you owe her an apology! >:(  So what exactly is your definition of "really old"?

Getting back on topic, I'm always amazed at the range of ages in attendence at a U2 show.

Offline spooked1oo

• Numb
  • Fourty-five lightyears from home
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2012, 11:42:44 PM »
Lots of younger people attend U2 concerts with their parents who are fans. That is how many discover how good they are!

I must say when I joined this forum, I was blown away by just how many young & very intelligent U2 fans are out there. I love when a band touches all ages. That is amazing & I sure hope that continues! It makes an old timer like me feel younger!!

Sorry, inishfree! It came out wrong. My apologies.

Yeah, what I find interesting about my story is there has been honestly NO ONE around me who has liked U2. I sort of just discovered them by myself, which makes me kind of proud :) I even converted a friend of mine who was a Muse fan and we went to a N.A. 360 show by ourselves last May (GA line by 5:30 in the morning). Best day of my life.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2012, 12:23:14 AM »
I must say when I joined this forum, I was blown away by just how many young & very intelligent U2 fans are out there.

But you were only just telling me about the really stupid ones too... ;)

Offline horizon

• Elevated
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2012, 04:08:37 PM »
I almost think it's kindda nice not that many younger people like U2.  Makes it more special for us.  On the other hand, it would be nice....but then again a lot of my friends are older than me and do like U2, so I can't really complain.  Some folks get it, some folks don't.  It's all good...
No teen likes U2 besides the ones on here. Everyone I know hates them/ thinks Bono is the gayest man on Earth.