Author Topic: Teenagers of today liking U2 ?  (Read 26215 times)

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
Re: Teenagers of today liking U2 ?
« Reply #180 on: February 07, 2012, 02:38:40 PM »
Going back to the beginning of the topic, I suspect that liking U2 is analogous to kids in my youth (I'm 36 now and was a teen in the late 80's and 90's) liking 60's and 70's rock like the Who, Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc.  For me, I associated that music with being old, although it was around the age of 16, and thanks to an album called Achtung Baby (hip to like during my teens), that I started coming around to great rock music in general.

The problem now for those that might easily dismiss U2 as being old (not those who already like them as teens) is that the rock music now does not seem to have the mass appeal to draw in listeners who then may explore its roots.  I'm not talking about pop-rock but just good quality rock music and lyrics.  In the late 80's and 90's we had lots of great rock music that was popular.

The music environment now is just so much different than before.  The album as a popular format is all but dead.  Great rock music is still being written and great albums are still produced, but they don't sell and they don't hit the mainstream.  It takes some exploration, but teens in general aren't necessarily going to do the exploring.  ITunes, file sharing, etc. is just too easy.  That being said, this thread shows there are exceptions, but those of you here who are the exception probably express a maturity that I didn't even have when it came to music until my college years.  The college years is where I think people taste in music really develop.  The cultural exposure given by the diversity of college really shapes our music tastes.  I suspect that is where U2 will win the most new fans when it comes to the discovery of U2's past and even the future.  U2 don't need the mainstream pop radio, they need to keep their new fans and seek out those below the mainstream who know where all the real good music is to be found.

Offline spooked1oo

• Numb
  • Fourty-five lightyears from home
« Reply #181 on: February 07, 2012, 03:24:23 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Going back to the beginning of the topic, I suspect that liking U2 is analogous to kids in my youth (I'm 36 now and was a teen in the late 80's and 90's) liking 60's and 70's rock like the Who, Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc.  For me, I associated that music with being old, although it was around the age of 16, and thanks to an album called Achtung Baby (hip to like during my teens), that I started coming around to great rock music in general.

The problem now for those that might easily dismiss U2 as being old (not those who already like them as teens) is that the rock music now does not seem to have the mass appeal to draw in listeners who then may explore its roots.  I'm not talking about pop-rock but just good quality rock music and lyrics.  In the late 80's and 90's we had lots of great rock music that was popular.

The music environment now is just so much different than before.  The album as a popular format is all but dead.  Great rock music is still being written and great albums are still produced, but they don't sell and they don't hit the mainstream.  It takes some exploration, but teens in general aren't necessarily going to do the exploring.  ITunes, file sharing, etc. is just too easy.  That being said, this thread shows there are exceptions, but those of you here who are the exception probably express a maturity that I didn't even have when it came to music until my college years.  The college years is where I think people taste in music really develop.  The cultural exposure given by the diversity of college really shapes our music tastes.  I suspect that is where U2 will win the most new fans when it comes to the discovery of U2's past and even the future.  U2 don't need the mainstream pop radio, they need to keep their new fans and seek out those below the mainstream who know where all the real good music is to be found.

Well said.

Offline balchinian1

• Staring at the Sun
  • We could live forever if you've got the time
« Reply #182 on: February 07, 2012, 03:33:36 PM »

The music environment now is just so much different than before.  The album as a popular format is all but dead.  Great rock music is still being written and great albums are still produced, but they don't sell and they don't hit the mainstream.

when I have kids, they are being forced to listen to whole albums!

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #183 on: February 08, 2012, 01:22:57 PM »

The music environment now is just so much different than before.  The album as a popular format is all but dead.  Great rock music is still being written and great albums are still produced, but they don't sell and they don't hit the mainstream.

when I have kids, they are being forced to listen to whole albums!

Me too... although I don't want to alienate them from the music I love.  Give and take.