Author Topic: Teenagers of today liking U2 ?  (Read 25935 times)

Offline balchinian1

• Staring at the Sun
  • We could live forever if you've got the time
Re: Teenagers of today liking U2 ?
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2012, 04:59:39 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
so dont take something as offensive, then offend teenagers  ;)

Using "gay" as a synonym for "bad" or "stupid" IS offensive. If you're incapable of understanding why, that says more about you than it says about me. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you meant by your post.

no I get where you are coming from and all, I'm just saying if you want to make that point, I dont think its right to go on and be prejudice towards teenagers, we are people too you know, so be nice to us :)

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2012, 05:08:24 PM »
I am nice individually to those teenagers who I can tell are good people. :)

But even you can't argue that high schools are full of understanding, sensitive people, particularly towards gay people. I know of several dead teenagers who would disagree.

Offline spooked1oo

• Numb
  • Fourty-five lightyears from home
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2012, 05:09:36 PM »
That's not to say that there aren't lots of lovely, respectable ones who I hold in very high esteem.
Like me, for example ;)

...riiiigghht?

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2012, 05:11:28 PM »
So far you seem to be one of the good ones, yes. I'm not sure we've really interacted all that much though. :P

Offline balchinian1

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2012, 05:13:28 PM »
When have they ever been full of those people? It just cant happen at school, to many social pressures and all, but I really dont think there are that many people against gay rights etc etc, just because the term gay is used to describe bad doesnt mean we all think that, doesnt mean we have something against the gay community, its just like our culture now, its only during school years anyway :)

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2012, 05:13:44 PM »
so dont take something as offensive, then offend teenagers  ;)

Using "gay" as a synonym for "bad" or "stupid" IS offensive. If you're incapable of understanding why, that says more about you than it says about me. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you meant by your post.

I'm not usually comfortable around people who use gay as a term meaning stupid, mostly because I have friends who are gay. It never really felt right to me to use language like that anyway, I rarely even use everyday swears. I find it disrespectful more than anything.

As for the generalized "teenagers" being offensive, I'm not sure where you live and all, but most people in my high school were respectful. Sure they may have done little things here or there that people would frown upon, but everybody was good nature. 

And most teens end up maturing with time anyway.

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2012, 05:19:06 PM »
I went to a religious private school. There wasn't so much bullying of gay students as a general dogma of gay being sinful and disgusting.

My teenage years were awesome.

balchinian1: A person may not have negative feelings about gay people when they use it as a synonym like this, but it does send the implicit message that "gay" = "bad". This remains offensive to me regardless of intent.

Benign homophobia doesn't make it right or any less hurtful. Especially to gay teens. Again, referring to all those suicides in the States.

Offline balchinian1

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2012, 05:25:06 PM »
yeah but you have to understand the meanings of words change in every generation, gay meant happy a few generations back, words evolve and are used to mean different things, they arent used to offend anyone :) people say it without realising because its what society is like. Its recognised to have a different meaning round here now

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2012, 05:28:16 PM »
yeah but you have to understand the meanings of words change in every generation, gay meant happy a few generations back, words evolve and are used to mean different things, they arent used to offend anyone :) people say it without realising because its what society is like. Its recognised to have a different meaning round here now

Even if it does, I think the fact that people use the term "gay" to replace "bad" or "disgusting," etc, is almost like they are calling the people classifying themselves as gay as bad or something.

Offline balchinian1

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2012, 05:32:56 PM »
In most circumstances its not meant in a serious nature, its a lighthearted and almost ironic thing, as everyone does it, and people never mean any offence by it, just because they use it doesnt mean they understand and respect members of the gay community, I'm sure if there was a gay person in groups at school who didnt like us using the term, we would all stop, dont judge people to be homophobic because they use the word, its never meant to sound offensive :)

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2012, 05:33:52 PM »

Even if it does, I think the fact that people use the term "gay" to replace "bad" or "disgusting," etc, is almost like they are calling the people classifying themselves as gay as bad or something.

Exactly. As a gay person, I, like most if not all other people like me, use the word to describe our orientation. To have other people use the word as a catch-all for everything aversive or negative is offensive.

You can't say the word has a different meaning now and then just shrug off the still very real implications of what is being said. I'm sorry, but it just doesn't work that way.

Let me put it to you this way balchinian: would you be so cavalier about the use of the N word? Or would you agree that it is still largely an offensive word?

Offline balchinian1

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2012, 05:36:28 PM »
I agree with you, I think its wrong people using it, but I want you to see that just because teenagers use it, it doesnt make us shallow, heartless, homophobic beings :) Most of us would stop if we knew someone around us felt victimised by it :)

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2012, 05:37:27 PM »
You should stop anyway. Using it in this way contributes to a broader culture where homosexuality is still very much on the fringe of acceptability.

Offline balchinian1

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2012, 05:41:11 PM »
Drugs, drinking, violence, it should all be stopped, but it would be impossible to get rid of it completely. Once we all finish school its not used to mean that anyway, its something we grow out of, so please dont judge us all as homophobic and heartless, if we were in a situation where someone around us was offended, we would sort it out :)

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2012, 05:41:22 PM »

Exactly. As a gay person, I, like most if not all other people like me, use the word to describe our orientation. To have other people use the word as a catch-all for everything aversive or negative is offensive.

You can't say the word has a different meaning now and then just shrug off the still very real implications of what is being said. I'm sorry, but it just doesn't work that way.

Let me put it to you this way balchinian: would you be so cavalier about the use of the N word? Or would you agree that it is still largely an offensive word?

I find it weird how EVERYBODY is agreeing to every point I make recently. Spooks me a bit.