Author Topic: Teenagers of today liking U2 ?  (Read 26290 times)

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
Re: Teenagers of today liking U2 ?
« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2012, 08:23:21 PM »
Who cares if you like U2? The real question has become are YOU a homophobe? :P haha

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Elevated
  • What are the feelings you left behind?
« Reply #91 on: January 31, 2012, 08:39:24 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Who cares if you like U2? The real question has become are YOU a homophobe? :P haha
Scary!   :o
But honest  ;D

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2012, 08:43:19 PM »

LOL this has to be the most off-topic thread ever.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2012, 10:09:43 PM »

LOL this has to be the most off-topic thread ever.

Conventshoes

« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2012, 03:50:08 AM »
Really?  If I would have used that kind of language as a teenager.  My mother would have put a bar of soap in my mouth.

No disrespect to you but putting a bar of soap in a child's mouth sounds a bit like child abuse!  :-[

Conventshoes

« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2012, 03:58:21 AM »

I grew up at school using words like 'gay' or 'lesbo' or whatever. Doesn't mean I couldn't work out as a young adult that people have the freedom to choose who they do sex with and should be respected for it.

Lighten up already!  ;D

Except that gay and lesbian people don't CHOOSE to be that way.

And it doesn't negate the fact that such language hurts gay and lesbian teenagers in particular. It contributes to a general environment of hostility and homonegativity.

I would ask you the same question I posed before: would you be so cavalier with the N word? Or is that a word that you recognize as highly inappropriate and socially unacceptable?

Society needs to start treating homonegative language as just as inappropriate and socially unacceptable.

I know gay people don't CHOOSE. I didn't use that word in the way you think I did.  ???

The N word is a difficult one. I don't know any black people well enough to even consider using it in any context.

Thinking about it didn't Bono use the N word in a Passangers song? And didn't Patti Smith call a song Rock n Roll ******?

In the Passengers song Elvis Ate America Bono sings 'Elvis... The white ******'.

As Bono is probably one of your favourite people do you think his lyric is acceptable? If so, then you must accept words are all about context?

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #96 on: February 01, 2012, 08:05:27 AM »
Saw the title of this thread and immediately clicked so I could say YES. There are teens out there who appreciate the music, myself included. Im 18 and think U2 is brilliant, really enjoy their albums, whether they were before my time or not. 

Thanks for posting.  There are people of all ages at U2 concerts.  I think that is the beauty of their music.  U2 was the best concert, I have ever been to.  Eighty thousand folks and everyone was having a good time.  No violence or anything ugly, just happiness.  U2 fans are some of the nicest and most polite people, you could meet.

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #97 on: February 01, 2012, 08:19:47 AM »
Really?  If I would have used that kind of language as a teenager.  My mother would have put a bar of soap in my mouth.

No disrespect to you but putting a bar of soap in a child's mouth sounds a bit like child abuse!  :-[

I never did this with my own son.  I taught by example.  But, this was normal dicipline during the sixties and seventies if a child used bad language. 

I want to say to the teenagers here.  We adults, have to remember they are still children who are growing and learning.  Teenagers tend to use "colorful" language and for the most part, don't mean what they are saying.  It was the same, when I was in high school.  We, (whom were good friends) would only tease each other.  We didn't bully other kids, nothing like that.  Or hang out with bullies.

It really was easier to handle bullying during my youth.  No internet, text messages and you could usually do a pretty good job of avoiding the few bully kids.  They wouldn't show up at your house. 

I honestly think it is much harder for the kids these days.  There is so much pressure on "fitting in", getting into the right college and etc.  I think, we adults sometimes forget that there is a time to be young and to grow at your own pace. 

When I said.  I never used bad language in front of my mother.  That is true and I still don't.  But, I am not saying I didn't have some "colorful" language in my teenage years.  I did and out grew it.  It will be the same for the young people here.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 08:58:43 PM by Inishfree »

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #98 on: February 01, 2012, 11:01:01 AM »

I grew up at school using words like 'gay' or 'lesbo' or whatever. Doesn't mean I couldn't work out as a young adult that people have the freedom to choose who they do sex with and should be respected for it.

Lighten up already!  ;D

And it doesn't negate the fact that such language hurts gay and lesbian teenagers in particular. It contributes to a general environment of hostility and homonegativity.

I would ask you the same question I posed before: would you be so cavalier with the N word? Or is that a word that you recognize as highly inappropriate and socially unacceptable?

Society needs to start treating homonegative language as just as inappropriate and socially unacceptable.

I know gay people don't CHOOSE. I didn't use that word in the way you think I did.  ???

The N word is a difficult one. I don't know any black people well enough to even consider using it in any context.

Thinking about it didn't Bono use the N word in a Passangers song? And didn't Patti Smith call a song Rock n Roll ******?

In the Passengers song Elvis Ate America Bono sings 'Elvis... The white ******'.

As Bono is probably one of your favourite people do you think his lyric is acceptable? If so, then you must accept words are all about context?

Patti Smith and Bono's usage in a song is not the same as droves of teenagers cavalierly using "gay" as a catch-all term for anything bad endlessly in day to day conversations.

Patti Smith and Bono's usage, for example, is highly unlikely to drive a teenager to suicide. Not so for the cultural appropriation of the term as a negative word or an insult.

So yes, context is important, but the context that teens are using it is highly injurious and should be stamped out. After all, the USA went from slavery to considering the N word to be largely a highly unacceptable term in a relatively short period of time. There's no reason why efforts can't result in the stamping out of this type of usage of "gay".

Conventshoes

« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2012, 11:41:41 AM »

Lighten up already!  ;D

Patti Smith and Bono's usage in a song is not the same as droves of teenagers cavalierly using "gay" as a catch-all term for anything bad endlessly in day to day conversations.

Patti Smith and Bono's usage, for example, is highly unlikely to drive a teenager to suicide. Not so for the cultural appropriation of the term as a negative word or an insult.

So yes, context is important, but the context that teens are using it is highly injurious and should be stamped out. After all, the USA went from slavery to considering the N word to be largely a highly unacceptable term in a relatively short period of time. There's no reason why efforts can't result in the stamping out of this type of usage of "gay".

If Bono is allowed to use the word ******, people are allowed to use the word gay or faggot. You can't 'stamp out' words just because they don't coincide with your point of view. Have you read 1984 by George Orwell?

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2012, 04:02:54 PM »
It has nothing to do with point of view. It has to do with the damage it's causing kids.

Using it in a song is different. I don't think Bono could get away with walking around saying the N word in everyday language. Your analogy is fatally flawed.

Since it is considered inappropriate and prohibited to use the N word in everyday conversation, so too should the homonegative use of the word "gay" and ESPECIALLY the F word. If kids are being punished for using the N word in schools, why is the homophobic language allowed?

Because it's the last remaining socially acceptable prejudice.

Here's a question for you: why are you so protective of your supposed "right" to verbally denigrate my sexuality and my people?

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2012, 07:58:17 PM »
I see your point, but what matters most is that the word "gay" is divorced from it's literal meaning; that is, it is decoupled from homosexuality, the way "retarded" is decoupled from the medical condition outside the medical context. This can only happen when society changes to fully accepting and respecting gays, and as a result "gay" will not represent the homosexual community. When this happens, the distinction between "gay" as a generic insult, virtually interchangeable with "silly" or "annoying", and gay as a form of both sex and love (necessarily commanding respect) will be large enough for society to accommodate both terms with almost no friction whatsoever. A gay who's orientation is respected by a society will not feel insulted when the relic-term "gay", the generic insult bearing little or no connection to them, is used.
That is what matters. I agree that in the currrent climate, the use of the word "gay" as an insult could be potentially damaging to a homosexual, but the problem is not with the word, and the phasing out of the word will contribute almost nothing to people's perception of gays anyway. They won't be more or less respected, or at least significantly so, if the word is phased out. Non-homophobes understand the insult and the sexuality as two very separate ideas. And the prejudiced and ignorant will remain so, with or without the word.
Let's not ignore the nature of language and the true relevance of a term in society for some near-inconsequential notion of political correctness.
Furthermore, the imposition of the concept of homosexuality onto the word "gay" recouples the near meaningless word with it's old, prejudicial, odious meaning, something that should clearly be avoided at all costs.

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2012, 09:35:12 PM »
Convent Shoes,

John Lennon wrote a song, titled "Woman is the N***** of the World."  We understood Lennon's point of view and agreed with it.  His lyrics are enlightening, not offensive.  Women were protesting for equal rights, respect in society and the work place.  Having to put up with an unwanted sexual advance.  Was something women had to tolerate from some heterosexual men, if they wanted to keep their job.  Now, it is against the law.

During the late seventies, I went through it.  I had a sleezy boss who was married and thought it was perfectly okay.  To put his arm around me and ask me.  "If I wanted to fool around."  This happened on more than one occassion.  He made me feel so uncomfortable.  I quit my job.  Today, it would never be tolerated.  He would be fired and rightfully so. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 09:39:10 PM by Inishfree »

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2012, 09:55:17 PM »
It has nothing to do with point of view. It has to do with the damage it's causing kids.

Using it in a song is different. I don't think Bono could get away with walking around saying the N word in everyday language. Your analogy is fatally flawed.

Since it is considered inappropriate and prohibited to use the N word in everyday conversation, so too should the homonegative use of the word "gay" and ESPECIALLY the F word. If kids are being punished for using the N word in schools, why is the homophobic language allowed?

Because it's the last remaining socially acceptable prejudice.

Here's a question for you: why are you so protective of your supposed "right" to verbally denigrate my sexuality and my people?

During the sixties and early seventies, we were not allowed to use crude or offensive language in school.  If this happened, there were consiquences.  Each student fully was aware of the rules. 

Boom Cha!

« Reply #104 on: February 01, 2012, 10:45:01 PM »
Well, this thread sure did get out of hand.