Author Topic: Let's dig out the last contender for "could have been NLOTH last single"  (Read 1609 times)

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
Re: Let's dig out the last contender for "could have been NLOTH last single"
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 08:45:07 PM »
Unknown Caller

I've always liked the chanting.

Offline two hearts

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 01:41:01 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It's soon to be 3 years since NLOTH's release, and I still have this experiment that I never really showed to the U2 community. I think every song on NLOTH's been offered the role of the 4th single, and I feel like Unknown Caller had potential. I did a "radio edit" a few months ago, and I'd like to know what you think.
Basically, intro shortened, outro shortened (I removed the dumb trumpet-ish solo), 5% faster. I feel like it emphasizes Edge's guitar work, which ain't a bad thing on this track.

Love it apart from taking the french horn out...would of been nice to get the chorus back at the end to fade it out...but that a side loved it. it's going on my mp3 player    cheers geez

Offline HEY!youtwo!

• Child of Grace
  • They'll want their money back if youre alive at 33
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 03:31:59 PM »
winter... should have been on the album, should have been a single (the brothers version though, no need for rumors of a coldplay rip off)

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 04:03:11 PM »
The title track would have made a pretty good first single since it's a rock song. "Magnificient" did pretty good as a 2nd single. "Crazy Tonight" was a good choice for the 3rd. No 4th single needed.

Unfortunately, they tried to be "sexy" with their real 1st single which did not work.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2012, 05:11:39 PM »
The title track would have made a pretty good first single since it's a rock song. "Magnificient" did pretty good as a 2nd single. "Crazy Tonight" was a good choice for the 3rd. No 4th single needed.

Unfortunately, they tried to be "sexy" with their real 1st single which did not work.

I agree - NLOTH would have been a good, lower key single that could have got people's attention. Moment of Surrender could have been a contender along with Breathe.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2012, 05:16:54 PM »

I agree - NLOTH would have been a good, lower key single that could have got people's attention. Moment of Surrender could have been a contender along with Breathe.

See I would find all of those songs possible as a second single.

I always went with having Magnificent as the first single. It possesses that anthem-esque feel that some U2 songs have, and parts of it were experimental, like the intro for instant. But its catchy, and sounds dancey even to the point where I think it would have had a great reception to it if released first.

Releasing Boots first almost seemed to halt any other single's reception on the major charts, because people assumed that if Boots wasn't too great, neither would be the album, even when in reality this wasn't the case.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2012, 09:21:06 PM »

Releasing Boots first almost seemed to halt any other single's reception on the major charts, because people assumed that if Boots wasn't too great, neither would be the album, even when in reality this wasn't the case.

This exactly. Boots left people with the impression that the album was dumb. It wasn't. By the time Magnificent rolled around, people had written off the album.

Offline Bundang Dave

• Staring at the Sun
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2012, 01:19:42 AM »

The simplest explanation is usually the best. Boots outperformed the other singles on the charts because people prefer it.

Perhaps people got tired of typical U2 stadium anthems, and that's why Magnificent didn't fare as well as some here would have liked. Crazy Tonight did do fairly well...better than Boots on some charts, IIRC.

If they'd consulted me about release order, I would've done it like this:

1. Boots
2. Moment
3. Breathe
4. No Line

Offline Drake

• Babyface
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2012, 06:26:52 PM »

See I would find all of those songs possible as a second single.

I always went with having Magnificent as the first single. It possesses that anthem-esque feel that some U2 songs have, and parts of it were experimental, like the intro for instant. But its catchy, and sounds dancey even to the point where I think it would have had a great reception to it if released first.

Boots was a horrible choice for a single. In my opinion, it's one of their recent screw-ups. U2 isn't a band I like to see blazing at 150 beats per minute. It doesn't work that well. The lyrics are ....How do I put this...bad.
"Moment of Surrender" would've been an excellent choice for a single. "No Line on the Horizon" should've been the first single, being as it was the title track, opening song, and one of the more experimental-sounding songs on the album. "Magnificent" is a great song and single. If I had to choose between "Crazy Tonight" and "Breathe", I'd definitely take "Crazy".
So, in my opinion:
"No Line on the Horizon"
"I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight"
"Magnificent"
"Moment of Surrender"

Offline two hearts

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2012, 02:29:09 PM »
u2 have stayed popular because they change there style but not this time.they should have put these out
moment...full length version...F it this is u2 take it or leave it.
no line
unknown caller..edit
Forget that caller first single just finished listening to it that would of been a statement this is the new stuff jump on board lets take you on a trip..abit like the fly with achtung baby
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 02:35:55 PM by two hearts »