Author Topic: Mercy....  (Read 2103 times)

Offline wrldchamps04

• Numb
  • ^^rock n roll perfection^^
Mercy....
« on: January 26, 2012, 01:40:05 PM »
I was wondering AGAIN lately, how did "Mercy" not make it on an official studio album?...I know they weren't finished with it at the time and "edited" it down for the few 360* shows that they played it and eventually made it onto "Wide Awake In Europe", but how it got "shelved" originally boggles the mind! Oh ya...LOVE this song!

Jara

Re: Mercy....
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 01:59:46 PM »
Coz the band used up thier quota of crap songs with GOYB

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 04:15:25 PM »
Not sure, and I don't think anybody other than the band and producers know why. You never know though, maybe you'll see a completely remade version of the song appear in the future.

Same questions could be applied to how Levitate was left off in place of Wild Honey, etc.

Offline Izzy

• Numb
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 04:15:29 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I was wondering AGAIN lately, how did "Mercy" not make it on an official studio album?...I know they weren't finished with it at the time and "edited" it down for the few 360* shows that they played it and eventually made it onto "Wide Awake In Europe", but how it got "shelved" originally boggles the mind! Oh ya...LOVE this song!

the wide awake version seems watered down compared to the outtake...

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 04:19:38 PM »
outtake > 360. neither are album worthy but HTDAAB or NLOTH could of used it as a b-side

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 04:21:50 PM »
outtake > 360. neither are album worthy but HTDAAB or NLOTH could of used it as a b-side

I think that if they kept the outtake, but cleaned it up a bit and put a proper climax and falling action to the song, it would have been pure gold.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 05:02:04 PM »
The outtake is incredibly powerful, the live version has destroyed the power.

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Numb
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 05:21:40 PM »
....sucks.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 05:36:58 PM »
outtake craps all over everything else on htdaab

360 version was weaker

but still >>>>>>> htdaab

Offline wrldchamps04

• Numb
  • ^^rock n roll perfection^^
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 07:07:15 PM »
i thought the outtake was more powerful, BUT kind of rambling, without direction....tons of potential...360* version was a bit too "radio friendly"...compared to the outtake.....they need to meet the two in the middle somewhere..

Jara

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 08:29:03 AM »
i thought the outtake was more powerful, BUT kind of rambling, without direction....tons of potential...360* version was a bit too "radio friendly"...compared to the outtake.....they need to meet the two in the middle somewhere..
This is exactly how i feel about the song. It just never really seems to take off for me. Im sure if it had made it onto an album, it would be more a more structured and sculpted beast. It just sounds like a u2 jam to me

Offline spooked1oo

• Numb
  • Fourty-five lightyears from home
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 08:33:42 AM »
It's kind of like Lady With the Spinning Head, it has a lot of potential, it just hasn't gone anywhere to get to the point where it has the greatness of an album track.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 09:28:11 AM »
It's kind of like Lady With the Spinning Head, it has a lot of potential, it just hasn't gone anywhere to get to the point where it has the greatness of an album track.

Yeah, god forbid it ever reaches the greatness of "a man and a woman"......

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 09:42:16 AM »
I think the 'rambling' raw nature of the outtake was what most people found so refreshing about it. No it's not the greatest song in the world but it sticks out like a sore thumb in amongst the other U2 songs of the era.

Yes, it does sound like a jam, precisely why it was so revered at the time - 360 well and truly diluted the life out of it, in reaching for strict form, hooks and order, they turned it into just another 00's song that works brilliantly over highlights of tennis.

It also has/had some good lyrics in there, which (before NLOTH came out) was like a glass of ice water during a marathon through the sahara.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 09:59:39 AM »
Some of U2's best work is more "rambling" in nature.

Promenade
A Sort of Homecoming
Bad
Being Born