Author Topic: Mercy....  (Read 2104 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: Mercy....
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 10:05:38 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Some of U2's best work is more "rambling" in nature.

Indeed it is, although what that's got to do with Mercy is anyone's guess.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 11:15:10 AM »
...is one of U2's greatest songs, and it is an absolute TRAVESTY that it was never featured on an album

Offline dferry09

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Gonna go where the bright lights and big city meet
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 11:20:58 AM »
Not putting this song on an album is up there with the bands worst decisions. The original is a masterpiece and should have been on Bomb. Its arguably my favourite U2 song- I love it so much.

Offline Drake

• Babyface
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 07:47:42 PM »
I love this song. It's in my top ten U2 songs.
And yeah, the outtake is a hell of a lot better than the 360 live version. U2 seems to be trying to to get more radio airplay...We'll see by the time the next album rolls around.
Bono's voice sort of lost control a little past halfway through the outtake of "Mercy", to the point that I had utterly no idea what he was singing during the bridge "Fear nothing, how can someone fear nothing..."
It's an amazing song, way better than any of the other crap you hear on the radio nowadays and it'd be awesome if U2 got more airplay--but not at the cost of their true sound. I hope unreleased songs like Mercy, Every Breaking Wave, and North Star aren't ruined in a publicity attempt.
Give the band another shot at recording a studio version, maybe with some backing vocals and some re-arranged lyrics so it flows better. The song is truly a potential masterpiece. Hell, it's awesome the way it is. Finding the hook in the song is impossible. But they made a mistake with the 360 reworking, in my opinion.
That's all I've got.

Offline OnlyU2

• Holy Joe
  • Who's to say what it is will break you
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 08:44:55 PM »
Personally, I love the song.  I listened to the original studio version and fell in love with it.  Then I saw the 360 live version and loved it even more.  The new chorus "because, because, because we can, we must" gives it that extra power.  I'm sure that when they re-record it for the new album, it's going to be incredible! a smash hit!

Offline bonobuzz

• Elevated
  • One Life, you got to do what you should...
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2012, 04:14:20 PM »
I love Mercy, one of my favorites, listen to it at least once a week, can't wait to hear it LIVE one day, & hope that it is on the new album as well!

Offline NOLA Fly

• Staring at the Sun
  • Feel like trash, You make me feel clean...
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2012, 09:50:30 PM »
...might be the most overrated song in the U2 cannon.  For what it's worth, I thought the live version was an improvement. At least they're moving in the right direction.

Offline spooked1oo

• Numb
  • Fourty-five lightyears from home
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2012, 11:04:45 PM »
First, I like the live version better; it's more exciting. Going to a low note on the "stitches" part was a mistake, I like the live notes better.

Second: Why not more love for North Star? That might be my favorite U2 song of the past 10 years (or at least the version on Transformers). It has an incredible arrangement that seems like the spiritual sequel of All I Want Is You. That song NEEDS to be on the next album (and hopefully All My Life).

Offline Bundang Dave

• Staring at the Sun
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2012, 05:15:15 AM »
First, I like the live version better; it's more exciting. Going to a low note on the "stitches" part was a mistake, I like the live notes better.

I like the live version better, too. It's darker, wittier with the "You wanna kill me, and I wanna die" idea and far less repetitive with cliched love images. However, I really miss the "ripping the stitches" line. I hope they bring that back (but take out the tired 'love' lyric) at some point.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2012, 08:48:20 AM »

I like the live version better, too. It's darker, wittier with the "You wanna kill me, and I wanna die" idea and far less repetitive with cliched love images. However, I really miss the "ripping the stitches" line. I hope they bring that back (but take out the tired 'love' lyric) at some point.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2012, 08:18:55 AM »
I like both versions but the original is my favorite. I'm still hoping this makes an album somewhere down the road; it's too good to go unheard by a majority of listeners.

Offline joshtree14

• Wanderer
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2012, 04:20:13 PM »
My guess is that the 6 note intro was too similar to the 6 note intro to miracle drug, so they axed mercy, miracle drug was also a lot shorter and could have been released as a single since they premoted it heavily pre album release.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2012, 06:19:53 PM »
My guess is that the 6 note intro was too similar to the 6 note intro to miracle drug, so they axed mercy, miracle drug was also a lot shorter and could have been released as a single since they promoted it heavily pre-album release.

YES. YES YES YES YES YES. FINALLY someone else sees the MD connection! the first time i heard Mercy it reminded me of MD.

Offline TheSceneoftheAccident

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I've been in every black hole
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2012, 12:54:56 PM »
My guess is that the 6 note intro was too similar to the 6 note intro to miracle drug, so they axed mercy, miracle drug was also a lot shorter and could have been released as a single since they promoted it heavily pre-album release.

YES. YES YES YES YES YES. FINALLY someone else sees the MD connection! the first time i heard Mercy it reminded me of MD.

I just listened to Mercy for the first time and heard the similarity too. Mercy is better than anything from HTDAAB.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2012, 01:32:02 PM »

I never noticed much, mostly because of my lack of listening to Miracle Drug.

And they ended up putting the worse of two songs on the album.