Sunday Bloody Sunday
City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Elevation
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Mysterious Ways
None.  All Of The Above Will Be Staples Again
Other (Please Specify)

Author Topic: Dropping The "Undroppable"  (Read 9732 times)

Sugarcube

Re: Dropping The "Undroppable"
« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2012, 07:15:29 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I would think other than Streets, Beautiful Day, and Vertigo everthing is droppable and should be dropped or rotated for other songs not played for some time.  It's time to start singing songs like 11 O'Cloc tick tock, surrender, two hearts, anything off side 2 of the joshua tree, God part 2, hawkmoon and I could go on  and on.  It's time that U2 have more faith in their back catalogue and take more chances in the setlist next time out, otherwise they risk the media getting all over them by saying U2 stay in their comfort zone by playing same old same old.  I guess we will wait and see.

WELL SAID!

Thanks, but I want to make clear that  my beef is not with the choice of new material played.  I love the fact that U2 have always played alot of tracks from the current album they are supporting.. I think they should have even played more tracks off of NLOTH, it's just the songs that make the rest of the setlist that I have a problem with.  It's time they stop thinking about setting records and start being more daring and innovative.

But the thing is, they didn't play many songs from NLOTH - that's kind of my point. They actively distanced themselves from the record making 360 pretty much a Greatest Hits Tour

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #106 on: March 07, 2012, 12:57:50 PM »
Bearing in mind that by the time Leg#3 started in Turin the album was 17 months old, it's no great surprise they went down to 3-4 songs from NLOTH instead of 7 songs.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #107 on: March 07, 2012, 03:47:36 PM »
Bearing in mind that by the time Leg#3 started in Turin the album was 17 months old, it's no great surprise they went down to 3-4 songs from NLOTH instead of 7 songs.

Vertigo dipped to 3-4 HTDAAB songs per night by the end.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #108 on: March 07, 2012, 03:50:40 PM »

That was 2 years after the release, so it was expected.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #109 on: March 07, 2012, 04:14:32 PM »

That was 2 years after the release, so it was expected.

So why didn't the number of oldies dip since it was more than two years after their release? 

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #110 on: March 07, 2012, 04:17:45 PM »
I would think other than Streets, Beautiful Day, and Vertigo everthing is droppable and should be dropped or rotated for other songs not played for some time.  It's time to start singing songs like 11 O'Cloc tick tock, surrender, two hearts, anything off side 2 of the joshua tree, God part 2, hawkmoon and I could go on  and on.  It's time that U2 have more faith in their back catalogue and take more chances in the setlist next time out, otherwise they risk the media getting all over them by saying U2 stay in their comfort zone by playing same old same old.  I guess we will wait and see.

WELL SAID!

Thanks, but I want to make clear that  my beef is not with the choice of new material played.  I love the fact that U2 have always played alot of tracks from the current album they are supporting.. I think they should have even played more tracks off of NLOTH, it's just the songs that make the rest of the setlist that I have a problem with.  It's time they stop thinking about setting records and start being more daring and innovative.

But the thing is, they didn't play many songs from NLOTH - that's kind of my point. They actively distanced themselves from the record making 360 pretty much a Greatest Hits Tour
Remember when the tour first started they were singing 7 songs of NLOTH.  It was only in part of the delay of Bono's back surgery and in part of the need to get in more AB tunes because of the 20th aniversary that they dropped some of the newer songs.  But I had the best of both worlds.  I saw them on leg 1 and 2(dublin and toronto) which the played 6 to 7 new songs and then leg 7 again in montreal and toronto when they dropped some.  I believe if there was no delay they would have continued playing the 6 to 7 tracks off NLOTH.  Also remember during the Popmart tour, when they were getting crucified, they never waivered and continued to play 6 to 7 songs right up to the last leg of the tour.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #111 on: March 07, 2012, 04:18:11 PM »
Because The First Time is a Greatest Hit. Duh.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2012, 04:33:49 PM »
They didn't actually start playing only 3-4 'new' songs live until almost exactly two years after the album's release; Europe 2 and Australasia consistently featured only 6-7 2009/2010 songs (or 5-6 if you prefer) which is a pretty decent retention for well over a year into the tour.

By point of comparison, Bruce Springsteen was down to 3-4 new songs per night midway through the first leg of his own most recent tour.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #113 on: March 11, 2012, 04:38:15 PM »
They didn't actually start playing only 3-4 'new' songs live until almost exactly two years after the album's release; Europe 2 and Australasia consistently featured only 6-7 2009/2010 songs (or 5-6 if you prefer) which is a pretty decent retention for well over a year into the tour.

It doesn't change the fact that 360 evolved into a greatest hits tour, unlike Zoo TV/PopMart/Elevation et al.

By point of comparison, Bruce Springsteen was down to 1 new song per night sometimes on the last leg of his own most recent tour.

Then Bruce plays greatest hits/nostalgia/back catalogue/anyotherqualifiers shows nowadays too.  It happens to the best of 'em, for example, U2, The Stones, Springsteen and Prince.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 04:48:15 PM by Tumbling Dice »

• Holy Joe
« Reply #114 on: March 11, 2012, 05:08:25 PM »

It doesn't change the fact that 360 evolved into a greatest hits tour, unlike Zoo TV/PopMart/Elevation et al.

By point of comparison, Bruce Springsteen was down to 1 new song per night sometimes on the last leg of his own most recent tour.

Then Bruce plays greatest hits/nostalgia/back catalogue/anyotherqualifiers shows nowadays too.  It happens to the best of 'em, for example, U2, The Stones, Springsteen and Prince.

Totally legitimate opinions. :)

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #115 on: March 11, 2012, 07:45:45 PM »
It's time for SBS to be packed away just like it was for Lovetown, most of PopMart  and the first two legs of ZOO TV.

An arena tour for Europe would be nice.

• Holy Joe
« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2012, 04:10:38 AM »

An arena tour for Europe would be nice.

I'll go further; Ireland's first arena show since 1993 would be nice. Show your hometime some love! (Yes, we know you play there a frankly disproportionate amount compared to anywhere else in the world. You may continue this, U2, but we want 6 arena shows rather than 3 stadiums! :P )