Author Topic: ZOO TV: Looking Back At Your Show(s) 20 Years later  (Read 6758 times)

Offline U2OnceAgain

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: ZOO TV: Looking Back At Your Show(s) 20 Years later
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 01:53:19 PM »
I attended 10 Zoo TV shows, indoor and outdoor, and everyone except 1 (very bad night for U2) were amazing. The tours since have not touched the greatness of this tour and nothing may ever unless the come up with a Album like Actung Baby and truly believe in the music again.

Offline Popette

• Babyface
  • Innocent, and in a sense I am
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 04:35:55 PM »
Atlanta, March 5, 1992.  My first U2 show ever, as I became a fan in '88.  This was only about the fourth show of the tour, it was all very new, and we didn't really know what to expect except that supposedly everything was going to be very different.  I remember marveling at all the tv screens and Trabants dangling overhead; didn't look a thing like the stage set-ups I'd seen in Rattle & Hum!  I remember my friend squealing with happiness when we went in and kept getting closer and closer to the stage; she hadn't realized we'd be as close as the 8th row.  We sat on Adam's side, directly in front of him.  Actually, one of the best memories I have of the show is his smile.;D  At some point Bono said, "It's hot in here," then touched his leather-clad crotch and continued, "Whatever's going on inside these pants, it's gettin' hotter!"

The crowd seemed a bit amazed at the "new U2," but the AB songs got a fantastic reception.  Nevertheless, I remember Bad more than anything else.  Bellowing "I'm wide awake, I'm not sleeping" with a crowd of 20,000 was pretty much the fulfillment of a dream for me.  Transcendence.

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 06:10:25 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Atlanta, March 5, 1992.  My first U2 show ever, as I became a fan in '88.  This was only about the fourth show of the tour, it was all very new, and we didn't really know what to expect except that supposedly everything was going to be very different.  I remember marveling at all the tv screens and Trabants dangling overhead; didn't look a thing like the stage set-ups I'd seen in Rattle & Hum!  I remember my friend squealing with happiness when we went in and kept getting closer and closer to the stage; she hadn't realized we'd be as close as the 8th row.  We sat on Adam's side, directly in front of him.  Actually, one of the best memories I have of the show is his smile.;D  At some point Bono said, "It's hot in here," then touched his leather-clad crotch and continued, "Whatever's going on inside these pants, it's gettin' hotter!"

The crowd seemed a bit amazed at the "new U2," but the AB songs got a fantastic reception.  Nevertheless, I remember Bad more than anything else.  Bellowing "I'm wide awake, I'm not sleeping" with a crowd of 20,000 was pretty much the fulfillment of a dream for me.  Transcendence.

I saw then 5 nights later in Philadelphia. 

Two performances from that show still resonate 20 years later:  The beautiful Ultraviolet and the sweet organic sounds of an acoustic Angel of Harlem.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 07:03:07 PM »
Oakland, first leg.

Just the sheer WTF-ness of it all.

No youtube, just a few MTV clips, nothing could have gotten us quite prepared for what transpired.

Don't recall too many details, just the rush before/during/after.

Haven't felt the same since, internet has spoiled a lot of stuff about live shows.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 09:37:10 PM »
The lack of exposure during those first several months--heck, even several LEGS--of the tour, cannot be overstated.  I remember just seeing the live snippets of the shows during the "bar" One video, or the live glimpse of Mysterious Ways at the end of the Achtung Baby VHS tape, were like pieces of gold.  Then the single song performance for the Freddie Mercury Concert, and the MTV Awards broadcast.  The Fox Thanksgiving special finally gave us something close to a real live show, eventually followed by the pay-per-view Sydney show, which was eventually sold on VHS, then DVD (and then again in the AB sets).

Seriously.  Is there anyone who saw this tour who DOESN'T think it was the best show they've seen?

Offline jocu2

• Wanderer
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 03:29:33 AM »
I was lucky to attend all 5 London shows. Earls Court in '92 (my 1st ever U2 show) and the 4 nights at Wembley in '93. 3 of those had Babyface and 2 had Zooropa so I count myself fortunate to have heard these.

Earls Court is still my favourite ever gig out of the 15 or so that I've seen the band.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 08:34:09 AM »
I was lucky to attend all 5 London shows. Earls Court in '92 (my 1st ever U2 show) and the 4 nights at Wembley in '93. 3 of those had Babyface and 2 had Zooropa so I count myself fortunate to have heard these.

Earls Court is still my favourite ever gig out of the 15 or so that I've seen the band.

Another lucky duck.  I saw a couple of Prince shows at Earls Court in the summer of '92 and as good as they were, I would have traded them both to see U2 there on Zoo TV.  The problem was I had priority booking for Prince, but not for U2. :(

Offline jocu2

• Wanderer
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 10:15:11 AM »
I queued for 13 hours when the tickets went on sale. Got to the bottom of the steps that leads into to ticket office when it cam over the tannoy that only restricted view tickets were left. My seat was overlooking the stage!! The only time my view was 'restricted' was when the screen came up on Edge's side!!

In an attempt to crack down on touts, you had to give your post code details as well as your name. It's great having a U2 ticket with my surname on it!!

Oh to have a video of this concert!!! The bootleg is cool, but i'd love to see it again

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 03:55:34 PM »
This was a monumental time to be a U2 Fan. They have never, nor will they ever, be this good again. To witness Zoo TV Is one of my life's best moments. These are the shows I went to.

May 07, 1992: Paris, France at Palais Omnisports De Paris Bercy (Without doubt, mind blowingly good. THE best concert I have ever been too, period - It was GA, and the crowd was the most intense experience I have ever had. Check out my thread hear celebrating this unbelievable experience You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)
June 01, 1992: Birmingham, England at National Exhibition Centre
June 17, 1992: Sheffield, England at Indoor Sports Arena (Front row seats. Bono wore my Zoo TV tour hat for a couple of songs and then gave it back to me)
June 12, 1993: Cologne, Germany at Muengersdorfer Stadion
August 07, 1993: Glasgow, Scotland at Celtic Park
August 08, 1993: Glasgow, Scotland at Celtic Park
August 11, 1993: London, England at Wembley Stadium
August 12, 1993: London, England at Wembley Stadium
August 14, 1993: Leeds, England at Roundhay Park (The best outdoor show I saw, and have ever seen)
August 18, 1993: Cardiff, Wales at Arms Park
August 20, 1993: London, England at Wembley Stadium
August 21, 1993: London, England at Wembley Stadium
August 28, 1993: Dublin, Ireland at R.D.S. Arena

« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 03:57:39 PM by Zoost »

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2012, 04:15:52 PM »
This was a monumental time to be a U2 Fan. They have never, nor will they ever, be this good again.

Aye, it was that lad. 

August 14, 1993: Leeds, England at Roundhay Park (The best outdoor show I saw, and have ever seen)

Yeah, it was pretty good, wasn't it.

I'd rather have been at the Paris De Bercy show tho.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 12:14:19 AM »
This was a monumental time to be a U2 Fan. They have never, nor will they ever, be this good again. To witness Zoo TV Is one of my life's best moments.

What can I say?  You're a lucky guy, and you're damn right it was a FANTASTIC time to be a U2 fan.

Alton Dalton

« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 08:55:42 AM »
Scary.... :)

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 09:32:21 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

:)

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2012, 09:43:26 AM »
Two back to back shows in Glasgow, 7th and 8th august 1993. The ultimate u2 weekend for a fan such as myself. I was hyper about going to this. First of all....two days of pure u2 heaven and it was Outdoors and one was on a saturday.
I remember walking to the stadium, and about 1/2 mile from the stadium, the excitement started to build, as u2 were soundchecking Numb, and the BASS was in the atmosphere...you could feel it in your chest. For the first night....i was overtaken by anxiety attacks, so me and my mate went for a seat in the then famous "jungle" at Celtic Park

Second day, my u2 claim to fame happened, and its one that i have never heard any other u2 fan repeat. I was in the que while u2 soundchecked....................*drum roll*................Some Days are better than others. No vocals, just the Moosic. What a GREAT weekend that was, best ever probably. Took me days to come back down to earth

Anxiety attacks - I could surely understand. Love that you love them so much!! :)

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2012, 09:50:06 AM »
Two back to back shows in Glasgow, 7th and 8th august 1993. The ultimate u2 weekend for a fan such as myself. I was hyper about going to this. First of all....two days of pure u2 heaven and it was Outdoors and one was on a saturday.
I remember walking to the stadium, and about 1/2 mile from the stadium, the excitement started to build, as u2 were soundchecking Numb, and the BASS was in the atmosphere...you could feel it in your chest. For the first night....i was overtaken by anxiety attacks, so me and my mate went for a seat in the then famous "jungle" at Celtic Park

Second day, my u2 claim to fame happened, and its one that i have never heard any other u2 fan repeat. I was in the que while u2 soundchecked....................*drum roll*................Some Days are better than others. No vocals, just the Moosic. What a GREAT weekend that was, best ever probably. Took me days to come back down to earth

I was at both shows too Smee. Brilliant. And I was lined up outside listening to that Somedays Are Better Than Others soundcheck, I remember it well.. We must have been pretty near to each other outside the stadium I guess. And at the show on the 8th - did you like Edges rendition of Lost Highway? Great stuff!