Author Topic: What's your favourite Bono era?  (Read 16791 times)

Offline Ultraviolet [ACAAs Polisher of Shiny PopMart Basses]

• Child of Grace
  • Babe, it must be art!
Re: What's your favourite Bono era?
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2008, 08:57:48 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Although I love the mullet, I'm also a sucker for a guy in a cowboy hat. I like Bonos cowboy hats also. I don't don't know I think there's something sexy about a guy in a cowboy hat.

Depending on who's wearing it... Bono and Edge can pull it off...  ;D

Although I almost injured myself from doing a double-take last night: on the news, there was a guy who looked exactly like an... ahem... plumper version of PopMart Edge. It kinda scared me.  :o

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2008, 03:36:05 AM »
Although I love the mullet, I'm also a sucker for a guy in a cowboy hat. I like Bonos cowboy hats also. I don't don't know I think there's something sexy about a guy in a cowboy hat.

Depending on who's wearing it... Bono and Edge can pull it off...  ;D

Second that, depending on who is wearing it. Also I didn't really care for the pop mart style hat. Bono with a pony tail always looked like a sailor to me.  ;)

Offline MirrorballMoon

• Running to Stand Still
  • "Just wait until you get to Minneapolis!" - Bono
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2008, 11:47:47 AM »
In no particular order:

Joshua Tree (my first encounter with U2 - LOVE the hair and the intensity in the eyes)

Rattle and Hum (he's just yummy then, no way around it - he really exuded confidence, like he had grown into his own personality)

Achtung Baby (older, streetwise, sophisticated)

Elevation (looked more "open" or "vulnerable" than he had in years)

And honestly, I think he's looking darn good right now! (Women's Conference in CA)

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2008, 01:03:50 PM »
Any Bono era is a good era!   :D

Offline Discotheque Girl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • You break and enter my imagination
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2009, 03:28:54 AM »
Well,I'm very young and I didn't get to see any of Bono's era's... :'( :'(
But I saw the pictures and videos and I like The Fly and Mr.MacPhisto :D :D ;)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 05:45:35 AM by xXdiscothequegirlXx »

eurydice

« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2009, 05:55:07 PM »
I have always been fond of the "girl with the beard" look for Bono. I guess my favorite era would be the War Tour, that's the first Bono I truly loved. Least favorite, probably Live Aid. It isn't the mullet to end all mullets...it's the suede boots with leather pants in July!

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2009, 04:15:11 PM »
The boy era for sure, just for the sheer innocense, but i actually love him now more with age, its like the boyfriend you've had all your life and you love the youth and love the maturity.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2009, 03:24:16 PM »
From the 10th May, 1960 until he is long dead and forgotten, which will never be!

Mysterious Ways

« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2009, 10:24:01 PM »
I enjoy the Pop-era Bono. He just seemed to ooze rockstar coolness during those days.

Also, I hate the mullet! I get a little sick when I watch old U2 videos just because of that thing.

Ditto.

Offline achtungespresso

• Running to Stand Still
  • I found grace, it's all that I found
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2009, 06:43:50 PM »
I have to say I loved the Achtung Baby era. The Fly, MacPhisto, the tongue-in-cheek calls to the president/other speeches onstage...just the whole idea behind AB and the ZooTV tour were amazing to me, and this is my favorite era! (As you can probably tell from the picture  :D)

Offline globaljosh

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2009, 12:44:03 PM »
For me it breaks down pretty simple:

Early Years: Hard to say. Those were bad times, fashion-wise. But the kid had charisma!

Joshua Tree / R & H: Ridiculous feathery mullet like some sort of seabird in mating plumage, with suspenders cranking his pants up to his navel. *cringe*  Bonus points for his wisely-chosen accessory: The Edge, looking like a pilgrim fresh off the Mayflower in his Quaker hat.

Zoo TV: Smirking in his shiny leather (vinyl?) and crazy shades, Zoo TV Bono was cooler than you. An edgy, electrifying god of rock & roll!

Popmart: Badass! Tough-guy swagger, crewcut, ridiculously over-the-top bubble suit... This Bono knew how to party!

Elevation Tour: Holy hair dye! This blue-shades-and-black-leather-jacket-with-a-red-star-wearing messiah seemed to be trying to singlehandledly resurrect the mullet, but I loved him anyway.

Vertigo Tour: Like the previous Bono, but a few years older and a different shade of hair dye. Stronger voice though, if that counts.

Current: Waiting for the official unveiling!

Offline bonogrl from Boston

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I had the feeling it was out of control
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2009, 02:21:49 PM »
I have to say I loved the Achtung Baby era. The Fly, MacPhisto, the tongue-in-cheek calls to the president/other speeches onstage...just the whole idea behind AB and the ZooTV tour were amazing to me, and this is my favorite era! (As you can probably tell from the picture  :D)

I 100% agree with you!  (note my picture as well 8))

Mysterious Ways

« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2009, 03:09:42 PM »
Joshua Tree / R & H: Ridiculous feathery mullet like some sort of seabird in mating plumage

Bwahahahaha! I have to say, I've always thought he looked like some kind of bird during those days.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2009, 04:55:21 PM »
I loved that gypsy/traveling preacher JT look.  Very sexy in a serious, I-want-to-convert you kind of way.  You're absolutely right about the hiked-up pants, though, globaljosh.  Eww!   What do you suppose he thinks when he sees old pics of himself? 

Offline globaljosh

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2009, 08:07:40 AM »
U2yooper - I was angling for comedy so my descriptions probably came out sounding a little too harsh. Part of the B-man's charm is that he's always looked a bit silly and doesn't seem to care. That said; when I think of Rattle & Hum I think of those funny peg-legged high-waisted dress pants that seem to clash with that whole unpretentious "earthy" look they were going for. Seems to me that some ripped jeans would've matched the look better!