Author Topic: Why has nothing from Pop been played since Elevation Tour?  (Read 23885 times)

Offline TheSceneoftheAccident

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I've been in every black hole
Why has nothing from Pop been played since Elevation Tour?
« on: February 09, 2012, 06:02:46 AM »
It doesn't make sense. Pop was a flop (although I personally love the album), so I don't understand why the band played songs like Gone and Please on the Elevation Tour and never play anything again after that, besides the odd time Discotheque was played on Vertigo Tour and the snippets from the 360 Tour. It can't be because they wouldn't fit in with the sets, because some of the songs from Pop would have been sensational on the Vertigo and 360 set ups. If anything the Pop songs didn't fit in with the stuff being played on the Elevation Tour.

My question is, if Pop was such a disaster (according to the press and band members) then why would they play stuff from it on the following tour and then forget about it entirely after that? It doesn't make sense to me. It seems like it should have been the other way around; it would have been understandable if they avoided material from Pop during the Elevation Tour and then slowly started to re-introduce the tracks throughout the Vertigo Tour and 360 Tour. I just don't see how it suddenly became disowned by the band members after the Elevation Tour.

Oh and for the record I can see No Line on the Horizon (and to a lesser extent, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb) going down the same path.

Offline spooked1oo

• Numb
  • Fourty-five lightyears from home
Re: Why has nothing from Pop been played since Elevation Tour?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 06:50:50 AM »
I agree, but the reason why they plated them during Elevation was because they always play the previous album's singles on the tour after. ZooTV got Angel of Harlem and When Love Comes to Town, Popmart got EBTTRT and One, Elevation got Gone and Please, Vertigo got Elevation and Beautiful Day, and 360 got COBL and Vertigo. The next tour will almost definitely have two singles from NLOTH for at least most of the tour. That's just how U2's formula goes. They need to have more Pop next tour though. That long of an absence if they don't play it is inexcusable.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 10:08:07 AM »
8 million sold = flop.

wow...

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 11:18:28 AM »
Yes, it is considered a flop in retrospect by a lot of publications. I actually defended it in my OP in case you hadn't caught on. I'm just saying what popular belief of the album is.

"Although an early commercial success at the time of its release — it reached number one in 32 countries, including the UK and the US —Pop's lifetime sales are among the lowest in U2's catalogue, and critical reaction was mixed. It was certified RIAA platinum once, the lowest since the band's album October."

"Pop's lifetime sales are among the lowest in U2's catalogue, and critical reaction was mixed."

Sounds like the media see it as a flop, which is what I was implying. I think it sold closer to 9 or 10 million though.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 11:20:10 AM by TheSceneoftheAccident »

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 11:19:43 AM »
I can understand its relative obscurity (if you want to call it that), but this album has gems on it.  My feeling is that if they were able to spring Zooropa on us, then I'm sure they could pull off a song or two from Pop.  It would be inexcusable to not have it represented as anything other than snippets at this point, because there's some awesome lyrics in there that need to be more appreciated.

Eight million and still a flop? Yeah, somebody's standards are WAY too high.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 11:47:11 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yes, it is considered a flop in retrospect by a lot of publications. I actually defended it in my OP in case you hadn't caught on. I'm just saying what popular belief of the album is.

"Although an early commercial success at the time of its release — it reached number one in 32 countries, including the UK and the US —Pop's lifetime sales are among the lowest in U2's catalogue, and critical reaction was mixed. It was certified RIAA platinum once, the lowest since the band's album October."

"Pop's lifetime sales are among the lowest in U2's catalogue, and critical reaction was mixed."

Sounds like the media see it as a flop, which is what I was implying. I think it sold closer to 9 or 10 million though.

I thought that it was technically only a flop to American audiences? I thought it was a well received otherwise.

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 02:04:43 PM »
Seems like it must have been big elsewhere considering it sold between 8-10 million and only around 1 million of those sales were US (a lot of albums have most of their sales in the US). If something flops in the US the rest of the world seems to have to call it a flop too.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 07:53:41 PM »
I don't understand the confusion.  You acknowledge it was a flop, and they pretty much DID drop it entirely for Elevation--the only full song that appeared regularly was Gone.  It was an obvious compromise in trying not to completely disown Pop, which was only the second-most-recent album, and therefore still relatively recent, but knowing that it had basically failed.  At this point, there's no need to "reintroduce" it to audiences if the band themselves weren't happy with it.

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Elevated
  • What are the feelings you left behind?
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 08:35:06 PM »
I feel like the odd song may continue to make appearances in a re-worked format.  That acoustic and string-accompanied version of SATS they did at the Clinton Concert was very nice, and Bono made some comment to the effect of "this song should have been a hit." 

I think the band's sensitivity and disappointment with Pop has tempered with time...but I really can't answer the question this thread is posing.  I'll stop now.   :D

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 06:05:33 PM »
I feel like the odd song may continue to make appearances in a re-worked format.  That acoustic and string-accompanied version of SATS they did at the Clinton Concert was very nice, and Bono made some comment to the effect of "this song should have been a hit." 

I think the band's sensitivity and disappointment with Pop has tempered with time...but I really can't answer the question this thread is posing.  I'll stop now.   :D

Staring at the Sun was a hit in the UK.  It reached #3 in the charts.

Discotheque was a #1 hit.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 06:50:52 PM »
At this point, there's no need to "reintroduce" it to audiences if the band themselves weren't happy with it.

We are talking about a band that resurrected TWO songs from October in the last decade.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 07:01:58 PM »
They did play Discotheque twice on the Vertigo Tour, but yes they do need to bring back more of the Pop tunes.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 07:31:16 PM »
The band don't like it. That doesn't mean that it's impossible we'll see elements of it - they have clearly shown a willingness and even a desire to bring back Discotheque, for instance, as it's made some form of appearance on every tour since PopMart. But just as clearly, they aren't happy with it, since they change it every time. Much as with October, we've only seen the barely-a-song appearance of Scarlet as a glorified intro, and as they tired 'Gloria' in the 'Boy Songs' slot for a while before scrapping it.

So yeah, I haven't given up on Pop, but we're never going to see a big revival.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 07:40:18 PM »
barely-a-song appearance of Scarlet as a glorified intro

Says the man who has a reference to Stingray Guitar as his avatar comment.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 08:31:44 PM »
barely-a-song appearance of Scarlet as a glorified intro

Says the man who has a reference to Stingray Guitar as his avatar comment.

Oh, I would agree that Scarlet and Stingray have about similar status, yes. But I think my quote is a reference to a shout by Bono, not really to the song he was shouting it in. :P