Author Topic: Why has nothing from Pop been played since Elevation Tour?  (Read 24403 times)

satellitedog01

Re: Why has nothing from Pop been played since Elevation Tour?
« Reply #105 on: April 19, 2012, 01:27:06 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I blame U2's lack of improvisational skills on Edge actually. Since the band has so many different guitar sounds, its impossible for him to randomly float to different songs here and there because of equipment they might need for said song. That and Bono is terrible at remembering lyrics.
For the world's biggest band this is about the lamest excuse one could come up with.
1.) The Edge's guitar sounds are handled by his techs and himself, and it would be totally feasible to program and save all his sounds ever with the technology at hand.
2.)Bono has been working with a teleprompter since at least ZooTV, so his lyrics are available at all times. I don't think many people would find it degrading even if bono held the lyric sheet in his hand while singing either.
3.) When they bring out unexpected, unrehearsed songs, it's Edge and Bono most of the time, so it raises the suspicion it's actually Adam who doesn't know the songs by heart, since Larry could be excused for needing the break from the demanding job he's doing all night. Or maybe he doesn't deserve the excuse. Of course there's also the fact they are working with backing tracks, and that is a delicate and less flexible construction, than playing straightforward rock music. Besides it could be they've been working too long and almost exclusively with a click-driven set of backing tracks that is prohibitive towards improvisation, and might have made them afraid to work without it.

The major thing is unfortunately they aren't musicians, they can play what they practice long enough, and they've never practiced enough to know their entire catalogue, or even to be confident playing under-rehearsed material, so they just don't.
Let's not excuse this with perfectionism, please. It's another trait we are looking for. :-)

I

satellitedog01

« Reply #106 on: April 19, 2012, 01:33:56 AM »
Improvising is harder for U2 has they often use visuals - their shows are highly choreographed.

Almost as choreographed as Madonna's Superbowl Half Time show, or Spiderman Turn off the Dark, aren't they?! :-)))))
They just don't put in the hours of work it would take to be able to pull off extra material. Most bands rehearse many more tunes than U2 before they go on tour...

Sugarcube

« Reply #107 on: April 19, 2012, 01:38:57 AM »
Improvising is harder for U2 has they often use visuals - their shows are highly choreographed.

Almost as choreographed as Madonna's Superbowl Half Time show, or Spiderman Turn off the Dark, aren't they?! :-)))))
They just don't put in the hours of work it would take to be able to pull off extra material. Most bands rehearse many more tunes than U2 before they go on tour...

Agreed - Sprinsgteen can pull any song out of the hat because he's always playing, always touring.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #108 on: April 19, 2012, 05:39:48 AM »

Agreed - Sprinsgteen can pull any song out of the hat because he's always playing, always touring.

To be honest though, while I do share these criticisms of U2, the Springsteen fandom made me feel better because they are all still constantly complaining that he plays too many of the same songs every night, not enough different songs, and neglects certain albums. Which consoled me in the knowledge that EVERY fandom does it. :D

Sugarcube

« Reply #109 on: April 19, 2012, 05:41:59 AM »

To be honest though, while I do share these criticisms of U2, the Springsteen fandom made me feel better because they are all still constantly complaining that he plays too many of the same songs every night, not enough different songs, and neglects certain albums. Which consoled me in the knowledge that EVERY fandom does it. :D

Well, facts are facts - I've seen the Boss play the most obscure songs chosen by fans on the night. They're a really tight band and never stop performing which is why he can do that.

U2 are average live musicians - and very lazy these days

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #110 on: April 19, 2012, 11:41:10 AM »

This is the way an artist should be - always rehearsing, always playing and always touring.  Then they know their music inside out and can start to experiment in an improvisational way.  Plus, I think it helps in the creative process of making new music and recording new albums.  The Rolling Stones, as part-timers, play Stones CD's and listen to their old songs when they rehearse before the start of every tour, literally learning how to play them live all over again.  I suspect this is the approach U2 take. 

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #111 on: April 19, 2012, 11:48:26 AM »

Well, facts are facts - I've seen the Boss play the most obscure songs chosen by fans on the night. They're a really tight band and never stop performing which is why he can do that.

But still, those 'obscure' songs will have been rehearsed.

U2 are only average musicians, but they have rehearsed and played a more extensive repertoire on recent tours than they did in the past.  Where they are, perhaps, lazier, is that most songs on the last three tours sound very similar.

Sugarcube

« Reply #112 on: April 19, 2012, 01:42:56 PM »

U2 are only average musicians, but they have rehearsed and played a more extensive repertoire on recent tours than they did in the past.  Where they are, perhaps, lazier, is that most songs on the last three tours sound very similar.

True - however the Boss lives rock n roll whereas U2 are pretenders in the field. This means he rehearses on the job

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #113 on: April 19, 2012, 02:09:01 PM »
I blame U2's lack of improvisational skills on Edge actually. Since the band has so many different guitar sounds, its impossible for him to randomly float to different songs here and there because of equipment they might need for said song. That and Bono is terrible at remembering lyrics.
For the world's biggest band this is about the lamest excuse one could come up with.
1.) The Edge's guitar sounds are handled by his techs and himself, and it would be totally feasible to program and save all his sounds ever with the technology at hand.
2.)Bono has been working with a teleprompter since at least ZooTV, so his lyrics are available at all times. I don't think many people would find it degrading even if bono held the lyric sheet in his hand while singing either.
3.) When they bring out unexpected, unrehearsed songs, it's Edge and Bono most of the time, so it raises the suspicion it's actually Adam who doesn't know the songs by heart, since Larry could be excused for needing the break from the demanding job he's doing all night. Or maybe he doesn't deserve the excuse. Of course there's also the fact they are working with backing tracks, and that is a delicate and less flexible construction, than playing straightforward rock music. Besides it could be they've been working too long and almost exclusively with a click-driven set of backing tracks that is prohibitive towards improvisation, and might have made them afraid to work without it.

The major thing is unfortunately they aren't musicians, they can play what they practice long enough, and they've never practiced enough to know their entire catalogue, or even to be confident playing under-rehearsed material, so they just don't.
Let's not excuse this with perfectionism, please. It's another trait we are looking for. :-)

I

It's not only feasible for The edge to do, but that's actually what he does now with his rig where he goes from one song to another for different sounds with his foot pedals.
The real reason they don't do varied and longer sets is because they can't. As you stated, they aren't musicians. Not in the truest sense like Daniel Lanois or some other people they've played with.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #114 on: April 19, 2012, 02:12:55 PM »

True - however the Boss lives rock n roll whereas U2 are pretenders in the field. This means he rehearses on the job

I agree, some artists, such as Prince, live and breathe music and don't see any separation between work and leisure.  Many others, however, see rock and roll as a job, and often enough, a part time one at that.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #115 on: April 19, 2012, 02:15:34 PM »

I agree, some artists, such as Prince, live and breathe music and don't see any separation between work and leisure.  Many others, however, see rock and roll as a job, and often enough, a part time one at that.

Anyone that earns the money they do for an extended time period in this industry views it as a job...no matter who they are

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #116 on: April 19, 2012, 02:18:34 PM »

Anyone that earns the money they do for an extended time period in this industry views it as a job...no matter who they are

Most do, but Prince doesn't.

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #117 on: April 19, 2012, 02:21:09 PM »

Yeah but some people live their job. U2 do not.

Sugarcube

« Reply #118 on: April 19, 2012, 02:22:14 PM »

I sense our Irish chums lived rock n roll in their glory days.

However since shorty decided he was more interested in cod politics rather than being in a band the music has clearly suffered.

Prince is a good Bruce style example

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #119 on: April 19, 2012, 02:23:26 PM »

Yeah but some people live their job. U2 do not.

And the evidence for living and U2 not is based on?