Author Topic: Why has nothing from Pop been played since Elevation Tour?  (Read 24511 times)

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
Re: Why has nothing from Pop been played since Elevation Tour?
« Reply #120 on: April 19, 2012, 02:23:48 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Improvising is harder for U2 has they often use visuals - their shows are highly choreographed.

Almost as choreographed as Madonna's Superbowl Half Time show, or Spiderman Turn off the Dark, aren't they?! :-)))))
They just don't put in the hours of work it would take to be able to pull off extra material. Most bands rehearse many more tunes than U2 before they go on tour...

Agreed - Sprinsgteen can pull any song out of the hat because he's always playing, always touring.

To be honest though, while I do share these criticisms of U2, the Springsteen fandom made me feel better because they are all still constantly complaining that he plays too many of the same songs every night, not enough different songs, and neglects certain albums. Which consoled me in the knowledge that EVERY fandom does it. :D

Well, facts are facts - I've seen the Boss play the most obscure songs chosen by fans on the night. They're a really tight band and never stop performing which is why he can do that.

But still, those 'obscure' songs will have been rehearsed.

U2 are average live musicians - and very lazy these days

U2 are only average musicians, but they have rehearsed and played a more extensive repertoire on recent tours than they did in the past.  Where they are, perhaps, lazier, is that most songs on the last three tours sound very similar.

True - however the Boss lives rock n roll whereas U2 are pretenders in the field. This means he rehearses on the job

I agree, some artists, such as Prince, live and breathe music and don't see any separation between work and leisure.  Many others, however, see rock and roll as a job, and often enough, a part time one at that.

I sense our Irish chums lived rock n roll in their glory days.

However since shorty decided he was more interested in cod politics rather than being in a band the music has clearly suffered.

Prince is a good Bruce style example
Yeah, but Prince is even deep into it I think.

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #121 on: April 19, 2012, 02:26:05 PM »
Improvising is harder for U2 has they often use visuals - their shows are highly choreographed.

Almost as choreographed as Madonna's Superbowl Half Time show, or Spiderman Turn off the Dark, aren't they?! :-)))))
They just don't put in the hours of work it would take to be able to pull off extra material. Most bands rehearse many more tunes than U2 before they go on tour...

Agreed - Sprinsgteen can pull any song out of the hat because he's always playing, always touring.

To be honest though, while I do share these criticisms of U2, the Springsteen fandom made me feel better because they are all still constantly complaining that he plays too many of the same songs every night, not enough different songs, and neglects certain albums. Which consoled me in the knowledge that EVERY fandom does it. :D

Well, facts are facts - I've seen the Boss play the most obscure songs chosen by fans on the night. They're a really tight band and never stop performing which is why he can do that.

U2 are only average musicians, but they have rehearsed and played a more extensive repertoire on recent tours than they did in the past.  Where they are, perhaps, lazier, is that most songs on the last three tours sound very similar.

True - however the Boss lives rock n roll whereas U2 are pretenders in the field. This means he rehearses on the job

I agree, some artists, such as Prince, live and breathe music and don't see any separation between work and leisure.  Many others, however, see rock and roll as a job, and often enough, a part time one at that.

Anyone that earns the money they do for an extended time period in this industry views it as a job...no matter who they are

Yeah but some people live their job. U2 do not.

And the evidence for living and U2 not is based on?

The fact that as many as half of the members of U2 can take a break from the band and not touch their instruments for 6 months.

Not gonna happen with Bruce. Not gonna happen with Danny Lanois. Certainly not happening with Prince.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #122 on: April 19, 2012, 02:26:54 PM »

Anyone that earns the money they do for an extended time period in this industry views it as a job...no matter who they are

The fact that as many as half of the members of U2 can take a break from the band and not touch their instruments for 6 months.

Not gonna happen with Bruce. Not gonna happen with Danny Lanois. Certainly not happening with Prince.

But your evidence for that is what?

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #123 on: April 19, 2012, 02:31:33 PM »

But your evidence for that is what?

Their own words.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #124 on: April 19, 2012, 02:32:30 PM »

The long periods between recording albums and touring, and Bono's time consuming extra curricula activities.   

It's clear that making and playing music isn't on their minds full time.

I believe U2 wouldn't carry on as artists unless they continue to make A LOT of money from their professional activities.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
« Reply #125 on: April 19, 2012, 02:33:39 PM »

The long periods between recording albums and touring, and Bono's time consuming extra curricula activities.   

It's clear that making and playing music isn't on their minds full time.

I believe U2 wouldn't carry on as artists unless they continue to make A LOT of money from their professional activities.

None of us see them 24/7 365 - so I get the assumption but it cant be claimed as a fact i guess is all I'm suggesting

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #126 on: April 19, 2012, 02:35:59 PM »
When they say it themselves I think think it can be taken as fact. I trust them as honest people.

I just think that music comes second to them now. That's understandable. They have families, all of them now. That's good.

Sugarcube

« Reply #127 on: April 19, 2012, 02:38:29 PM »
When they say it themselves I think think it can be taken as fact. I trust them as honest people.

I just think that music comes second to them now. That's understandable. They have families, all of them now. That's good.

Radiohead all have families and they're still dedicated to the cause. The Boss too

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
« Reply #128 on: April 19, 2012, 02:38:44 PM »

Fair point but I guess the music process will vary - Bono talks about walking around with a recorder to catch ideas as they spring to mind (could be entertaining if he's having a chat with the president mind!)  :)

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
« Reply #129 on: April 19, 2012, 02:39:43 PM »

Radiohead all have families and they're still dedicated to the cause. The Boss too

Still not seeing the arguments you are?

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #130 on: April 19, 2012, 02:41:36 PM »

Yeah, that's right. But I'm saying U2 are not as into music as The Boss or the other previously mentioned artists are. That's my point. If they were, family, politics, etc wouldn't get in the way. It would be "get those things outta the way I'm making music".

But U2 aren't like that.

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #131 on: April 19, 2012, 02:42:32 PM »

Fair point but I guess the music process will vary - Bono talks about walking around with a recorder to catch ideas as they spring to mind (could be entertaining if he's having a chat with the president mind!:)

Or semi conscious on a beach in the French Riviera.

Sugarcube

« Reply #132 on: April 19, 2012, 02:43:48 PM »

Yeah, that's right. But I'm saying U2 are not as into music as The Boss or the other previously mentioned artists are. That's my point. If they were, family, politics, etc wouldn't get in the way. It would be "get those things outta the way I'm making music".

But U2 aren't like that.

Oh right I see. Well then they're letting themselves and their long term fans down.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
« Reply #133 on: April 19, 2012, 02:46:28 PM »

But U2 aren't like that.

Oh right I see. Well then they're letting themselves and their long term fans down.

As a long term fan I don't feel let down but interested to hear what you mean?

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #134 on: April 19, 2012, 02:48:31 PM »

But U2 aren't like that.

Well....what you gonna do? It's their lives. Letting fans down is easy. Were' FANatics about it. Fanatics cant be reasoned or argued with. We're right! Don't do this and don't do that! :D

If they walked away and never released another bit of music, I'd be sad for a bit but would get on with it. They've certainly left enough great music for me to enjoy.