Author Topic: Why has nothing from Pop been played since Elevation Tour?  (Read 24472 times)

Sugarcube

Re: Why has nothing from Pop been played since Elevation Tour?
« Reply #135 on: April 19, 2012, 02:53:06 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
When they say it themselves I think think it can be taken as fact. I trust them as honest people.

I just think that music comes second to them now. That's understandable. They have families, all of them now. That's good.

Radiohead all have families and they're still dedicated to the cause. The Boss too

Yeah, that's right. But I'm saying U2 are not as into music as The Boss or the other previously mentioned artists are. That's my point. If they were, family, politics, etc wouldn't get in the way. It would be "get those things outta the way I'm making music".

But U2 aren't like that.

Oh right I see. Well then they're letting themselves and their long term fans down.

As a long term fan I don't feel let down but interested to hear what you mean?

As someone who's followed them since they started, I feel totally let down by 2000's U2. One puts an emotional investment into a band one has followed for that long.

Aside from the music suffering the sight of bono hanging out with Blair and Bush during the hideous Iraq/Afghanistan debacle made me question what this person was about. I always dug him because he seemed to have ideals - clearly I was wrong.

And don't get me started on them hijacking world events to publicise themselves  ???

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #136 on: April 19, 2012, 02:59:42 PM »
When they say it themselves I think think it can be taken as fact. I trust them as honest people.

I just think that music comes second to them now. That's understandable. They have families, all of them now. That's good.

Radiohead all have families and they're still dedicated to the cause. The Boss too

Yeah, that's right. But I'm saying U2 are not as into music as The Boss or the other previously mentioned artists are. That's my point. If they were, family, politics, etc wouldn't get in the way. It would be "get those things outta the way I'm making music".

But U2 aren't like that.

Oh right I see. Well then they're letting themselves and their long term fans down.

As someone who's followed them since they started, I feel totally let down by 2000's U2. One puts an emotional investment into a band one has followed for that long.

Aside from the music suffering the sight of bono hanging out with Blair and Bush during the hideous Iraq/Afghanistan debacle made me question what this person was about. I always dug him because he seemed to have ideals - clearly I was wrong.

And don't get me started on them hijacking world events to publicise themselves  ???

I've followed them from the beginning too - I've had disappointments but cant say I've been let down - I lost the karma so that could be the same thing but I blamed that on Pop at the time  :D

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #137 on: April 19, 2012, 03:07:42 PM »

But U2 aren't like that.

I see and understand what you're saying.

But even U2 are made of people and people do things that upset other people, especially those who have followed them for as long as you have. You can't follow a band of flawed human beings for over 3 decades and not expect to get upset and let down at some point.

Sugarcube

« Reply #138 on: April 19, 2012, 03:08:55 PM »

But U2 aren't like that.

I've followed them from the beginning too - I've had disappointments but cant say I've been let down - I lost the karma so that could be the same thing but I blamed that on Pop at the time  :D

I always felt what they stood for was as important as the music. I could take the music still being great but them being frauds. Or them not being frauds but the music being rubbish. My sense of they're a bit of both now.

I loved POP! >:( ;D

Sugarcube

« Reply #139 on: April 19, 2012, 03:12:03 PM »

But U2 aren't like that.

But even U2 are made of people and people do things that upset other people, especially those who have followed them for as long as you have. You can't follow a band of flawed human beings for over 3 decades and not expect to get upset and let down at some point.

I hear ya. At the end of the day I don't like bonos politics or how he seems to use everything to his own advantage. Or how he seems to think the only way to change things is to 'sleep with the enemy' so to speak.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #140 on: April 19, 2012, 03:12:39 PM »

But U2 aren't like that.

I always felt what they stood for was as important as the music. I could take the music still being great but them being frauds. Or them not being frauds but the music being rubbish. My sense of they're a bit of both now.

I loved POP! >:( ;D

Or just getting older? I love Pop too by the way (now)  ;)

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #141 on: April 19, 2012, 03:14:54 PM »

But U2 aren't like that.

I said it in another thread but name another band that has made better music in their third decade than their first or even second. And I mean band, a group of individuals, not a solo artist.
It's hard enough getting two people to agree on anything. Imagine how tough it is for 4. I'm amazed they haven't made a complete crap album yet.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #142 on: April 19, 2012, 03:20:53 PM »

But U2 aren't like that.

I hear ya. At the end of the day I don't like bonos politics or how he seems to use everything to his own advantage. Or how he seems to think the only way to change things is to 'sleep with the enemy' so to speak.

I don't think Bono got into bed with the enemy, but he will flirt.

In many ways, Bono has grown up and realises that to achieve objectives - and not just make speeches - he has deal with people who he may disagree with politically.  Although I think Bono is one mind with Tony Blair and George Bush in paying low taxes.

Sugarcube

« Reply #143 on: April 19, 2012, 03:21:05 PM »

But U2 aren't like that.

I said it in another thread but name another band that has made better music in their third decade than their first or even second. And I mean band, a group of individuals, not a solo artist.
It's hard enough getting two people to agree on anything. Imagine how tough it is for 4. I'm amazed they haven't made a complete crap album yet.

They have - NLOTH

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #144 on: April 19, 2012, 04:32:13 PM »

But U2 aren't like that.

They have - NLOTH

The frothing continues. Foamy frothy froth.

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #145 on: April 19, 2012, 05:32:48 PM »

But U2 aren't like that.

They have - NLOTH

I knew you'd say that but I included that line anyway. :D

If you think every track is crap, then I'm not so sure they could do anything to satisfy you at this point.

And again I ask: what band with three decades behind them made better albums than their first and even second decades?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 05:36:56 PM by mattressjedi »

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #146 on: April 19, 2012, 07:32:48 PM »

But U2 aren't like that.

They have - NLOTH

Like a Trenta Caramel Latte?

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #147 on: April 19, 2012, 07:45:53 PM »

But U2 aren't like that.

They have - NLOTH

Yes. Of hate.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #148 on: April 19, 2012, 07:54:41 PM »

But U2 aren't like that.

They have - NLOTH

Yes. Of hate.

A hateful latte? Sounds evilly sweet.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #149 on: April 19, 2012, 11:52:49 PM »

I knew you'd say that but I included that line anyway. :D

If you think every track is crap, then I'm not so sure they could do anything to satisfy you at this point.

And again I ask: what band with three decades behind them made better albums than their first and even second decades?

Exactly. I think this is something some of the "haters" just can't wrap their heads around. It's pretty much impossible for any artist with this sort of longevity to make better music in the third/fourth decade than in the first couple. Springsteen hasn't, the Rolling Stones haven't, and even if the Beatles had stuck around as a band, I doubt they would have been able to, either.

As to the issue of not touring often enough, I can see it both ways. I think it's fantastic that Prince, Springsteen and a number of others are committed to touring and recording new music frequently. But I can also see where artists like U2 might need a break. Touring, even with a couple nights off between gigs (or more) can get hard, no matter how nice your accommodations are. Especially when you have a significant other and kids at home. Who really wants to go weeks or months without seeing their kids?

I can't blame U2 for wanting to take a hiatus, especially now that their kids are growing up and they're getting older themselves. With 30+ years of music under their belts and numerous CDs/tours, they deserve a break and deserve to spend time with their families and pursuing other interests should they choose to do so. It doesn't make them terrible musicians to do that, and it doesn't make them any less "dedicated" to music than others who choose to tour more often. It makes them human. If I were in their shoes, even with how much I love music, I'd do the same thing. In fact, I'm surprised they even did as much touring during the 90s as they did, given the fact that their kids were pretty young back then.

Like someone else said, if U2 were to call it a day now, I'd be sad. But ultimately, I'm just glad they've stuck together for as long as they have and have made a lot of really good/great music during that time. Not many artists can say the same.