Author Topic: Why has nothing from Pop been played since Elevation Tour?  (Read 24089 times)

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
Re: Why has nothing from Pop been played since Elevation Tour?
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 08:34:10 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
barely-a-song appearance of Scarlet as a glorified intro

Says the man who has a reference to Stingray Guitar as his avatar comment.

Oh, I would agree that Scarlet and Stingray have about similar status, yes. But I think my quote is a reference to a shout by Bono, not really to the song he was shouting it in. :P

And the fact that you were lucky enough to be at this concert  ;)

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 08:37:25 PM »
I'm really not interested in getting into yet another endless debate with you about Scarlet's status. The fact remains that it is a full track from an actual U2 album that got resurrected quite literally out of nowhere from the indisputably most forgotten U2 album of them all. The fact that is got raised from the dead along with Gloria (which got played on Vertigo more times than Walk On, Angel of Harlem, Kite, and Desire) should not have its significance downplayed as it relates to this topic.

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 09:44:42 PM »
I'm really not interested in getting into yet another endless debate with you about Scarlet's status. The fact remains that it is a full track from an actual U2 album that got resurrected quite literally out of nowhere from the indisputably most forgotten U2 album of them all. The fact that is got raised from the dead along with Gloria (which got played on Vertigo more times than Walk On, Angel of Harlem, Kite, and Desire) should not have its significance downplayed as it relates to this topic.

I'm not going to argue on Scarlet's length, but I think it had everything to do with Aung San Suu Kyi's release from house arrest. The tone of Scarlet, and the lyrics (Reeeeeejoice!) fit perfectly with the situation. Not to mention Bono made mention of it every time the song was played.

Still pleased they brought back an October song. And Gloria was on fire from the few performances from Vertigo that I watched. It should have stayed in the setlist for the whole tour.

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 11:12:00 PM »
I imagine there's a reason for all older obscure songs that are brought back from the grave, be it a lyric that fits a theme (In A Little While on 360), an overall fit with the theme of the tour (Zooropa), etc. Just because there was a reason behind Scarlet's resurrection doesn't make it any less significant. They could have gone with any number of songs to celebrate her release.

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2012, 04:53:14 AM »
They've finally found a place for Stay so that probably eliminated space for an acoustic Staring At The Sun.  I also think they would have an issue playing both SBS and Please in the same set.  Gone seems to be one of their favorites from that era so I wouldn't be shocked if that resurfaces at some point. 

I'm still waiting for a non-acoustic Desire to make a return to the main set for an entire tour.

Jara

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2012, 06:11:09 AM »
POP songs are abound to make a comeback on the next tour. think about it.. U2 have paid homage to all the older material on the last few tours. Pop is next in line.....surely?

satellitedog01

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2012, 06:50:30 AM »
I think it has more to do with the fact that U2 are still around and as big as they are due to the great reception ATYCLB and Bomb have enjoyed in the US, where Pop wasn't received as well. Dark self doubting material wasn't the order of the day from 9/11 on either, so I'm not surprised. I find it apalling to be sure, but not surprising.
And since they seem to be looking at themselves as a US market band first and foremost, I'm not expecting them to resurrect Pop anytime soon. 

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2012, 11:50:38 AM »
The fact remains that it is a full track from an actual U2 album that got resurrected quite literally out of nowhere from the indisputably most forgotten U2 album of them all.

Can't argue with that sentence.

Offline spooked1oo

• Numb
  • Fourty-five lightyears from home
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2012, 12:31:07 PM »
POP songs are abound to make a comeback on the next tour. think about it.. U2 have paid homage to all the older material on the last few tours. Pop is next in line.....surely?

The way I see it, there are three albums that can have a comeback on the next tour: Pop, TUF, or Rattle and Hum.

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2012, 12:43:55 PM »

The way I see it, there are three albums that can have a comeback on the next tour: Pop, TUF, or Rattle and Hum.

The Unforgettable Fire and Rattle & Ham arguably had their comebacks on 360.

TUF: Pride, The Unforgettable Fire, Bad, MLK. 4 songs from one album ain't too shabby.
R&H: All I Want Is You, Angel Of Harlem, Desire, Love Rescue Me. See above.

Offline TheSceneoftheAccident

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I've been in every black hole
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2012, 04:06:20 PM »
Yeah TUF definitely made its comeback on the 360 Tour. Four regulars from a ten track album from 1984 is not bad at all. Pop is the only album that really needs to come back on the next tour.

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2012, 04:12:26 PM »
Yeah TUF definitely made its comeback on the 360 Tour. Four regulars from a ten track album from 1984 is not bad at all. Pop is the only album that really needs to come back on the next tour.

Not to mention that the 10 track album had short songs like Promenade and 4th of July on it.

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2012, 04:31:37 PM »

I don't know if I'd classify Bad as a regular. It made fewer appearances than North Star!

Offline spooked1oo

• Numb
  • Fourty-five lightyears from home
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2012, 04:51:57 PM »

I was thinking more along the lines of Wire, Promenade (snippet?), Indian Blue Sky, Love Comes Tumbling, Heartland, God Part II, etc.

The Unforgettable Fire and Rattle & Ham arguably had their comebacks on 360.

TUF: Pride, The Unforgettable Fire, Bad, MLK. 4 songs from one album ain't too shabby.
R&H: All I Want Is You, Angel Of Harlem, Desire, Love Rescue Me. See above.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2012, 05:29:31 PM »
There were, however, shows at which it was possible to see more TUF than any other album except the one being toured- that's not something that can be said for any other tour since the 80s.