Author Topic: Why has nothing from Pop been played since Elevation Tour?  (Read 24103 times)

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
Re: Why has nothing from Pop been played since Elevation Tour?
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2012, 04:29:16 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
They haven't played anything from POP since the Elevation tour because NLOTH was a bad album and they decided to play arenas/stadiums for Vertigo and stadiums only for 360.
Can't believe you can't see this!

:P

.... because NLOTH is not a bad album. It's the best U2 record since 1997. But then, I like bands that don't try and stuff their albums full of pop hits but just try to make the best records they can. NLOTH just doesn't fit into your idea of what a good U2 record should be but fits into what U2's idea of what a good record should be.

Why can't U2 do a three hour setlist? The longest show on the 360 tour was 2hrs 37mins. That's a good length. Not everyone can play drums for three hundred hours on tour, or sing for three hours a night. That is damn hard work.

Sorry but that was sarcasm mark. ;)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 04:33:09 PM by mattressjedi »

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2012, 09:34:03 PM »
They haven't played anything from POP since the Elevation tour because NLOTH was a bad album and they decided to play arenas/stadiums for Vertigo and stadiums only for 360.

.... because NLOTH is not a bad album. It's the best U2 record since 1997. But then, I like bands that don't try and stuff their albums full of pop hits but just try to make the best records they can. NLOTH just doesn't fit into your idea of what a good U2 record should be but fits into what U2's idea of what a good record should be.

Why can't U2 do a three hour setlist? The longest show on the 360 tour was 2hrs 37mins. That's a good length. Not everyone can play drums for three hundred hours on tour, or sing for three hours a night. That is damn hard work.

First off, ATYCLB was better than No Line (in my opinion). Second, I don't think anybody on U2 would have much trouble playing three-hour setlists except Bono; in his old(ish) age his voice needs to stay fresh every night. As a drummer, I can honestly say that Larry's playing isn't exactly exhausting.

Springsteen's 10 years older than Bono and he still sounds good....and he plays 3 hour sets. Same thing with McCartney and he's 70. It can be done with the right amount of coaching and care for the voice. Now if Bono had gone crazy with the drugs like many other singers, he might not be able to do it.....but the fact that he still sounds pretty good today (aside from the occasional off note) seems to indicate that they could do 3 hour sets easily. And it honestly surprises me that they don't. They could easily do 30 songs and people would not get bored. It'd allow them to cover stuff from their new CD (even if it's not a smashing success) plus stuff from their other CDs in addition to the greatest hits.

I don't know if Bono takes voice lessons, but if he doesn't, might be something work starting on. Even in the best singers it can make a tremendous difference in terms of control and longevity.

Offline spooked1oo

• Numb
  • Fourty-five lightyears from home
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2012, 11:00:45 PM »

First off, ATYCLB was better than No Line (in my opinion). Second, I don't think anybody on U2 would have much trouble playing three-hour setlists except Bono; in his old(ish) age his voice needs to stay fresh every night. As a drummer, I can honestly say that Larry's playing isn't exactly exhausting.

Springsteen's 10 years older than Bono and he still sounds good....and he plays 3 hour sets. Same thing with McCartney and he's 70. It can be done with the right amount of coaching and care for the voice. Now if Bono had gone crazy with the drugs like many other singers, he might not be able to do it.....but the fact that he still sounds pretty good today (aside from the occasional off note) seems to indicate that they could do 3 hour sets easily. And it honestly surprises me that they don't. They could easily do 30 songs and people would not get bored. It'd allow them to cover stuff from their new CD (even if it's not a smashing success) plus stuff from their other CDs in addition to the greatest hits.

I don't know if Bono takes voice lessons, but if he doesn't, might be something work starting on. Even in the best singers it can make a tremendous difference in terms of control and longevity.

Yeah, but I don't see Springsteen or McCartney doing falsettos and other vocal tricks as often or as well as Bono. If Bono just sang Elevation, Beautiful Day, SBS, and Vertigo for three hours I think he'd be perfectly fine, but if you throw in Bad, The Unforgettable Fire, Miss Sarajevo, and Please in there you might end up with a little bit of a warn-down voice the next night.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2012, 04:29:17 AM »

Sorry but that was sarcasm mark. ;)

Blast, I lost my sense of humour beneath that huge Joshua Tree and Cowboy Hat. :P

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2012, 09:35:37 AM »
True, but with proper coaching/care, Bono should be able to do it without any issues. Or simply change some of the arrangements to not involve so much falsetto.

Also, it's highly unlikely that they'll play every night, especially if they do another stadium tour. So with 2-3 days rest each time, it's enough time to let the voice recover.

Sugarcube

« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2012, 10:17:09 AM »

Yeah, but I don't see Springsteen or McCartney doing falsettos and other vocal tricks as often or as well as Bono. If Bono just sang Elevation, Beautiful Day, SBS, and Vertigo for three hours I think he'd be perfectly fine, but if you throw in Bad, The Unforgettable Fire, Miss Sarajevo, and Please in there you might end up with a little bit of a warn-down voice the next night.

Falsetto is actually a lot easier on the male vocal chords than normal singing. You can hear bono singing falsetto deliberately on some of the songs where he just can't reach the notes any more for example Pride or Bad.

As they stand songs like Bad, TUF and Please have no falsetto at all. Bono adds it when he can't reach the notes using his normal singing voice

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2012, 11:27:00 AM »

Falsetto is actually a lot easier on the male vocal chords than normal singing. You can hear bono singing falsetto deliberately on some of the songs where he just can't reach the notes any more for example Pride or Bad.

As they stand songs like Bad, TUF and Please have no falsetto at all. Bono adds it when he can't reach the notes using his normal singing voice

Springsteen has a very average voice and not much vocal range.  Where as Bono sings the opera.

Offline spooked1oo

• Numb
  • Fourty-five lightyears from home
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2012, 03:58:37 PM »

Springsteen has a very average voice and not much vocal range.  Where as Bono sings the opera.

^Agreed

But I still think the "wide awake"s and the "in the name of love"s would kill his voice after a while. True, he could find a way out of them, like having the crowd sing instead, but I wouldn't enjoy that as much.

Sugarcube

« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2012, 05:55:10 AM »

It's those tight trousers again

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2012, 06:24:36 AM »

Bad the album version has falsetto. Listen to it again.

Sugarcube

« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2012, 06:48:34 AM »

Bad the album version has falsetto. Listen to it again.

97% of Bad isn't falsetto - only the ohh ohh's are.

When he sings Bad these days he often sings the 'I'm wide awake' part falsetto as he can't hit the notes anymore.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2012, 07:14:52 AM »
When you sing in the stratosphere for years and years a voice tends to wear down. Look at Mariah Carey. That kind of singing takes a lot out of a person. I'd like to see you sing like Bono for over 30 years.

satellitedog01

« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2012, 08:17:37 AM »
The only falsetto singing in the album version of Bad I hear are the whoo-ho-s.

Sugarcube

« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2012, 08:22:00 AM »
When you sing in the stratosphere for years and years a voice tends to wear down. Look at Mariah Carey. That kind of singing takes a lot out of a person. I'd like to see you sing like Bono for over 30 years.

Young man, no need to be defensive. I'm not critising bono's voice - I'm saying it's weaker now so he has to sing falsetto sometimes.

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2012, 01:01:37 PM »
I like his raspy, older voice in MOS. It's not Rod Stewart bad yet. It still has character.