Author Topic: Why has nothing from Pop been played since Elevation Tour?  (Read 23882 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: Why has nothing from Pop been played since Elevation Tour?
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2012, 02:02:52 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
They haven't played anything from POP since the Elevation tour because NLOTH was a bad album and they decided to play arenas/stadiums for Vertigo and stadiums only for 360.
Can't believe you can't see this!

:P

.... because NLOTH is not a bad album. It's the best U2 record since 1997. But then, I like bands that don't try and stuff their albums full of pop hits but just try to make the best records they can. NLOTH just doesn't fit into your idea of what a good U2 record should be but fits into what U2's idea of what a good record should be.

Why can't U2 do a three hour setlist? The longest show on the 360 tour was 2hrs 37mins. That's a good length. Not everyone can play drums for three hundred hours on tour, or sing for three hours a night. That is damn hard work.

First off, ATYCLB was better than No Line (in my opinion). Second, I don't think anybody on U2 would have much trouble playing three-hour setlists except Bono; in his old(ish) age his voice needs to stay fresh every night. As a drummer, I can honestly say that Larry's playing isn't exactly exhausting.

Springsteen's 10 years older than Bono and he still sounds good....and he plays 3 hour sets. Same thing with McCartney and he's 70. It can be done with the right amount of coaching and care for the voice. Now if Bono had gone crazy with the drugs like many other singers, he might not be able to do it.....but the fact that he still sounds pretty good today (aside from the occasional off note) seems to indicate that they could do 3 hour sets easily. And it honestly surprises me that they don't. They could easily do 30 songs and people would not get bored. It'd allow them to cover stuff from their new CD (even if it's not a smashing success) plus stuff from their other CDs in addition to the greatest hits.

I don't know if Bono takes voice lessons, but if he doesn't, might be something work starting on. Even in the best singers it can make a tremendous difference in terms of control and longevity.

Yeah, but I don't see Springsteen or McCartney doing falsettos and other vocal tricks as often or as well as Bono. If Bono just sang Elevation, Beautiful Day, SBS, and Vertigo for three hours I think he'd be perfectly fine, but if you throw in Bad, The Unforgettable Fire, Miss Sarajevo, and Please in there you might end up with a little bit of a warn-down voice the next night.

Falsetto is actually a lot easier on the male vocal chords than normal singing. You can hear bono singing falsetto deliberately on some of the songs where he just can't reach the notes any more for example Pride or Bad.

As they stand songs like Bad, TUF and Please have no falsetto at all. Bono adds it when he can't reach the notes using his normal singing voice

Springsteen has a very average voice and not much vocal range.  Where as Bono sings the opera.

It's those tight trousers again

I bet you can't take your eyes of 'em, can you Dreamlover?

Sugarcube

« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2012, 03:02:43 PM »
They haven't played anything from POP since the Elevation tour because NLOTH was a bad album and they decided to play arenas/stadiums for Vertigo and stadiums only for 360.

.... because NLOTH is not a bad album. It's the best U2 record since 1997. But then, I like bands that don't try and stuff their albums full of pop hits but just try to make the best records they can. NLOTH just doesn't fit into your idea of what a good U2 record should be but fits into what U2's idea of what a good record should be.

Why can't U2 do a three hour setlist? The longest show on the 360 tour was 2hrs 37mins. That's a good length. Not everyone can play drums for three hundred hours on tour, or sing for three hours a night. That is damn hard work.

First off, ATYCLB was better than No Line (in my opinion). Second, I don't think anybody on U2 would have much trouble playing three-hour setlists except Bono; in his old(ish) age his voice needs to stay fresh every night. As a drummer, I can honestly say that Larry's playing isn't exactly exhausting.

Springsteen's 10 years older than Bono and he still sounds good....and he plays 3 hour sets. Same thing with McCartney and he's 70. It can be done with the right amount of coaching and care for the voice. Now if Bono had gone crazy with the drugs like many other singers, he might not be able to do it.....but the fact that he still sounds pretty good today (aside from the occasional off note) seems to indicate that they could do 3 hour sets easily. And it honestly surprises me that they don't. They could easily do 30 songs and people would not get bored. It'd allow them to cover stuff from their new CD (even if it's not a smashing success) plus stuff from their other CDs in addition to the greatest hits.

I don't know if Bono takes voice lessons, but if he doesn't, might be something work starting on. Even in the best singers it can make a tremendous difference in terms of control and longevity.

Yeah, but I don't see Springsteen or McCartney doing falsettos and other vocal tricks as often or as well as Bono. If Bono just sang Elevation, Beautiful Day, SBS, and Vertigo for three hours I think he'd be perfectly fine, but if you throw in Bad, The Unforgettable Fire, Miss Sarajevo, and Please in there you might end up with a little bit of a warn-down voice the next night.

Falsetto is actually a lot easier on the male vocal chords than normal singing. You can hear bono singing falsetto deliberately on some of the songs where he just can't reach the notes any more for example Pride or Bad.

As they stand songs like Bad, TUF and Please have no falsetto at all. Bono adds it when he can't reach the notes using his normal singing voice

Springsteen has a very average voice and not much vocal range.  Where as Bono sings the opera.

Who wouldn't be aroused by a short Irish man in tight leather trousers with a sock stuffed down the front

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2012, 03:04:45 PM »

Who wouldn't be aroused by a short Irish man in tight leather trousers with a sock stuffed down the front

That's not a sock; there's a reason why the B-man is a tenor.

Sugarcube

« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2012, 03:06:40 PM »

Is it a cucumber?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2012, 03:09:21 PM »

Is it a cucumber?

I'm sorry, Dreamlover, I can't help you.

Sugarcube

« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2012, 03:19:58 PM »

Is it a cucumber?

Then get yourself to muddymatches.co.uk
It's a dating site for farmers

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2012, 05:38:53 PM »

Is it a cucumber?

Does the site ask the sheep what they look for in a prospective date?

Sugarcube

« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2012, 05:44:18 PM »

Is it a cucumber?

Not sure - more of a horse man myself

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2012, 05:50:13 PM »
 :-\

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2012, 05:53:23 PM »

Is it a cucumber?

You gave the impression you're all clued up on the site.

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2012, 06:02:19 PM »
There are horses on farms too......... :o

Sugarcube

« Reply #86 on: April 18, 2012, 01:39:17 AM »

Is it a cucumber?

I am but draw the line at sheep. I prefer a majestic Stallion

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2012, 07:24:20 AM »

Is it a cucumber?

I think Chris Martin looks more like a Geography teacher than a majestic Stallion.  But then I don't know what he's like in the bedroom.

Sugarcube

« Reply #88 on: April 18, 2012, 07:30:08 AM »

Is it a cucumber?

I think Chris Martin looks more like a Geography teacher than a majestic Stallion.  But then I don't know what he's like in the bedroom.

Put it this way, he insists on calling me Gwyneth

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2012, 07:37:02 AM »

Is it a cucumber?

Put it this way, he insists on calling me Gwyneth

I bet you just hate that, when he rolls off and calls you by his wife's name.  MEN!  ::)