Author Topic: Why has nothing from Pop been played since Elevation Tour?  (Read 24220 times)

Sugarcube

Re: Why has nothing from Pop been played since Elevation Tour?
« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2012, 07:41:50 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
They haven't played anything from POP since the Elevation tour because NLOTH was a bad album and they decided to play arenas/stadiums for Vertigo and stadiums only for 360.
Can't believe you can't see this!

:P

.... because NLOTH is not a bad album. It's the best U2 record since 1997. But then, I like bands that don't try and stuff their albums full of pop hits but just try to make the best records they can. NLOTH just doesn't fit into your idea of what a good U2 record should be but fits into what U2's idea of what a good record should be.

Why can't U2 do a three hour setlist? The longest show on the 360 tour was 2hrs 37mins. That's a good length. Not everyone can play drums for three hundred hours on tour, or sing for three hours a night. That is damn hard work.

First off, ATYCLB was better than No Line (in my opinion). Second, I don't think anybody on U2 would have much trouble playing three-hour setlists except Bono; in his old(ish) age his voice needs to stay fresh every night. As a drummer, I can honestly say that Larry's playing isn't exactly exhausting.

Springsteen's 10 years older than Bono and he still sounds good....and he plays 3 hour sets. Same thing with McCartney and he's 70. It can be done with the right amount of coaching and care for the voice. Now if Bono had gone crazy with the drugs like many other singers, he might not be able to do it.....but the fact that he still sounds pretty good today (aside from the occasional off note) seems to indicate that they could do 3 hour sets easily. And it honestly surprises me that they don't. They could easily do 30 songs and people would not get bored. It'd allow them to cover stuff from their new CD (even if it's not a smashing success) plus stuff from their other CDs in addition to the greatest hits.

I don't know if Bono takes voice lessons, but if he doesn't, might be something work starting on. Even in the best singers it can make a tremendous difference in terms of control and longevity.

Yeah, but I don't see Springsteen or McCartney doing falsettos and other vocal tricks as often or as well as Bono. If Bono just sang Elevation, Beautiful Day, SBS, and Vertigo for three hours I think he'd be perfectly fine, but if you throw in Bad, The Unforgettable Fire, Miss Sarajevo, and Please in there you might end up with a little bit of a warn-down voice the next night.

Falsetto is actually a lot easier on the male vocal chords than normal singing. You can hear bono singing falsetto deliberately on some of the songs where he just can't reach the notes any more for example Pride or Bad.

As they stand songs like Bad, TUF and Please have no falsetto at all. Bono adds it when he can't reach the notes using his normal singing voice

Springsteen has a very average voice and not much vocal range.  Where as Bono sings the opera.

It's those tight trousers again

I bet you can't take your eyes of 'em, can you Dreamlover?

Who wouldn't be aroused by a short Irish man in tight leather trousers with a sock stuffed down the front

That's not a sock; there's a reason why the B-man is a tenor.

Is it a cucumber?

I'm sorry, Dreamlover, I can't help you.

Then get yourself to muddymatches.co.uk
It's a dating site for farmers

Does the site ask the sheep what they look for in a prospective date?

Not sure - more of a horse man myself

You gave the impression you're all clued up on the site.

I am but draw the line at sheep. I prefer a majestic Stallion

I think Chris Martin looks more like a Geography teacher than a majestic Stallion.  But then I don't know what he's like in the bedroom.

Put it this way, he insists on calling me Gwyneth

I bet you just hate that, when he rolls off and calls you by his wife's name.  MEN!  ::)

He sings Colplay songs to me in the shower - its quite romantic

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2012, 07:49:30 AM »
They haven't played anything from POP since the Elevation tour because NLOTH was a bad album and they decided to play arenas/stadiums for Vertigo and stadiums only for 360.

.... because NLOTH is not a bad album. It's the best U2 record since 1997. But then, I like bands that don't try and stuff their albums full of pop hits but just try to make the best records they can. NLOTH just doesn't fit into your idea of what a good U2 record should be but fits into what U2's idea of what a good record should be.

Why can't U2 do a three hour setlist? The longest show on the 360 tour was 2hrs 37mins. That's a good length. Not everyone can play drums for three hundred hours on tour, or sing for three hours a night. That is damn hard work.

First off, ATYCLB was better than No Line (in my opinion). Second, I don't think anybody on U2 would have much trouble playing three-hour setlists except Bono; in his old(ish) age his voice needs to stay fresh every night. As a drummer, I can honestly say that Larry's playing isn't exactly exhausting.

Springsteen's 10 years older than Bono and he still sounds good....and he plays 3 hour sets. Same thing with McCartney and he's 70. It can be done with the right amount of coaching and care for the voice. Now if Bono had gone crazy with the drugs like many other singers, he might not be able to do it.....but the fact that he still sounds pretty good today (aside from the occasional off note) seems to indicate that they could do 3 hour sets easily. And it honestly surprises me that they don't. They could easily do 30 songs and people would not get bored. It'd allow them to cover stuff from their new CD (even if it's not a smashing success) plus stuff from their other CDs in addition to the greatest hits.

I don't know if Bono takes voice lessons, but if he doesn't, might be something work starting on. Even in the best singers it can make a tremendous difference in terms of control and longevity.

Yeah, but I don't see Springsteen or McCartney doing falsettos and other vocal tricks as often or as well as Bono. If Bono just sang Elevation, Beautiful Day, SBS, and Vertigo for three hours I think he'd be perfectly fine, but if you throw in Bad, The Unforgettable Fire, Miss Sarajevo, and Please in there you might end up with a little bit of a warn-down voice the next night.

Falsetto is actually a lot easier on the male vocal chords than normal singing. You can hear bono singing falsetto deliberately on some of the songs where he just can't reach the notes any more for example Pride or Bad.

As they stand songs like Bad, TUF and Please have no falsetto at all. Bono adds it when he can't reach the notes using his normal singing voice

Springsteen has a very average voice and not much vocal range.  Where as Bono sings the opera.

Who wouldn't be aroused by a short Irish man in tight leather trousers with a sock stuffed down the front

Is it a cucumber?

I think Chris Martin looks more like a Geography teacher than a majestic Stallion.  But then I don't know what he's like in the bedroom.

I bet you just hate that, when he rolls off and calls you by his wife's name.  MEN!  ::)

God Put a Smile upon Your Face ?  He's got such a bighead.

Sugarcube

« Reply #92 on: April 18, 2012, 07:52:04 AM »

Is it a cucumber?

Amen to that

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #93 on: April 18, 2012, 07:54:00 AM »

Is it a cucumber?

Amen to that

Cheesy too?

Sugarcube

« Reply #94 on: April 18, 2012, 08:05:09 AM »

Is it a cucumber?

Amen to that

Cheesy too?

No, Gwyneth is very particular

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #95 on: April 18, 2012, 02:51:18 PM »
I'm not sure why they don't just extend the setlist to 3 hours and include some of the songs people have been asking for. I'd love to hear a couple songs from Pop at least....and at least a few from NLOTH. If Springsteen, McCartney and even the Foo Fighters can do the 3 hour setlist, why can't U2?

Willie Williams talked about this once in his diaries in the context of cutting out a song to make way for another one; basically said that they all thought that any longer than about 2 hours 20 minutes and the show started to drag for the audience.

Yeah, I think it's total crap as an explanation too. :P

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #96 on: April 18, 2012, 03:55:53 PM »
Yeah I never bought the "it drags for the audience" explanation. They also used the "they had to obey curfews" in a few towns as another excuse.

I really think it comes from McGuiness. I think he has this whole "leave em wanting more" attitude.

That's also why they've seriously underplayed some areas of the world over the years too I'm convinced.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #97 on: April 18, 2012, 04:01:57 PM »
I'm not sure why they don't just extend the setlist to 3 hours and include some of the songs people have been asking for. I'd love to hear a couple songs from Pop at least....and at least a few from NLOTH. If Springsteen, McCartney and even the Foo Fighters can do the 3 hour setlist, why can't U2?

Willie Williams talked about this once in his diaries in the context of cutting out a song to make way for another one; basically said that they all thought that any longer than about 2 hours 20 minutes and the show started to drag for the audience.

They've watched performances by Pearl Jam or Springsteen no?  :D

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #98 on: April 18, 2012, 04:53:53 PM »
I think 2 hours is about right for a rock concert.  Remember, quality matters more than stamina.  Or so my gf assures me.

U2 played almost as many songs per show on 360 as Springsteen plays on his current tour.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #99 on: April 18, 2012, 05:24:32 PM »
U2 played almost as many songs per show on 360 as Springsteen plays on his current tour.

Springsteen's probably playing about 3-4 songs more per night (From memory, U2 played 23 most nights with one as the very-very-short MLK/Scarlet) and it's lasting a good 30-45 mins longer.

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2012, 06:09:41 PM »

Springsteen's probably playing about 3-4 songs more per night (From memory, U2 played 23 most nights with one as the very-very-short MLK/Scarlet) and it's lasting a good 30-45 mins longer.

Springsteen's shows though have always had a improvisational element to parts of the setlist that U2 has never brought live.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2012, 07:53:31 PM »

Springsteen's shows though have always had a improvisational element to parts of the setlist that U2 has never brought live.

I think its much easier for Springsteen and the E Streeters to randomly play a song out of their catalog than it is for U2.

Bruce pulled out My Love Will Not Let You Down at my Working on a Dream concert, and it sounded like they've been playing it all tour.

U2 played an improvisational Love Rescue Me after All I Want is You, and it sounded like they could barely keep afloat.

I blame U2's lack of improvisational skills on Edge actually. Since the band has so many different guitar sounds, its impossible for him to randomly float to different songs here and there because of equipment they might need for said song. That and Bono is terrible at remembering lyrics.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2012, 09:17:06 PM »

:P That's the biggest load of crap. Maybe for a band with a relatively small catalog of songs it would drag, but when you've had as many hit singles as U2 have and a slew of great songs that weren't singles (but that fans love), a 3 hour set would go over well with the crowd. They could easily play 28 or 29 songs per night and most of the audience (if not all) would love it.

If U2 wanted to, they could do it. Regarding the improv: that's something they could work on and perfect like Springsteen has. It just seems like they don't even want to. And if remembering lyrics is a problem, just give Bono an iPad with all the U2 lyrics loaded onto it to carry around stage.  :D

Sugarcube

« Reply #103 on: April 19, 2012, 12:56:23 AM »
I think 2 hours is about right for a rock concert.  Remember, quality matters more than stamina.  Or so my gf assures me.

You have a GIRLFRIEND?

Sugarcube

« Reply #104 on: April 19, 2012, 01:05:56 AM »

Improvising is harder for U2 has they often use visuals - their shows are highly choreographed. Plus the E Street band are a much tighter outfit than U2. Bruce is constantly touring. U2 leave years between tours.

As for lyrics, bono has an autocue