Author Topic: Lost your U2 mojo?  (Read 18464 times)

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
Re: Lost your U2 mojo?
« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2012, 12:34:21 PM »
I'm a third generation fan who wishes to be 2nd generation.  :D

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2012, 12:53:41 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

At least you arent a second generation fan who was greatly affected by AB... but never saw a single ZooTV show. :(

I was a teenager... my parents weren't concert-goers. I didnt have any friends into U2.  :-[ :-[ :'( :'( :'(

Cry me a river.

satellitedog01

« Reply #107 on: February 21, 2012, 12:59:31 PM »
Similar situation, I was too young,13, just got a copied cassette of Achtung Baby, and didn't even know about the concept of tours, even though we had a Zooropa gig here. I really wish I hadn't missed Popmart in Vienna though. I found U2 friends a year after Popmart... grrr.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2012, 01:11:15 PM »

At least you arent a second generation fan who was greatly affected by AB... but never saw a single ZooTV show. :(

I was a teenager... my parents weren't concert-goers. I didnt have any friends into U2.  :-[ :-[ :'( :'( :'(

Cry me a river.

I feel for ya. My dad almost went to Zoo TV, but didn't. Neither of us know why either.

He does regret it somewhat to this day.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2012, 01:20:04 PM »
That's funny, SD, I'm the same way: the concept of a tour was kind of lost on me. I was 15, tho. If I could go back in time, I'd go to ZooTV and PopMart.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2012, 01:40:47 PM »
Similar situation, I was too young,13, just got a copied cassette of Achtung Baby, and didn't even know about the concept of tours, even though we had a Zooropa gig here. I really wish I hadn't missed Popmart in Vienna though. I found U2 friends a year after Popmart... grrr.

Hey, I was at Popmart Vienna!

PS - Trust me, all you Betas and Gammas, being an Alpha is no picnic. Just keep listening to Stuck in a Moment and be thankful that you don't have all those amazing memories to sift through all day.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 01:42:53 PM by The Exile »

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2012, 02:06:10 PM »

Hey, I was at Popmart Vienna!

PS - Trust me, all you Betas and Gammas, being an Alpha is no picnic. Just keep listening to Stuck in a Moment and be thankful that you don't have all those amazing memories to sift through all day.

LOL!

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #112 on: February 21, 2012, 02:57:28 PM »
So wait, just curious, are considering 1st gen fans to be 80's, 2nd gen 90's, and 3rd gen 00's?

If that's the case, I would be a very late 1st-gen fan.  AB was the first album I was already "on-board" for, but it was JT that had originally made me a fan sometime around 1989.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #113 on: February 21, 2012, 04:48:17 PM »
So wait, just curious, are considering 1st gen fans to be 80's, 2nd gen 90's, and 3rd gen 00's?

If that's the case, I would be a very late 1st-gen fan.  AB was the first album I was already "on-board" for, but it was JT that had originally made me a fan sometime around 1989.

Well, Mars Girl called herself 2G because AB was what got her into U2, but it was my own Huxleyan nomenclature that translated this into Alphas, Betas, and Gammas.

PS - Just having a bit of fun is all.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 05:56:43 PM by The Exile »

Offline teacher_mommy_u2fan

• Stateless
  • Dreaming Out Loud
« Reply #114 on: February 21, 2012, 05:13:06 PM »
It's kind of weird for me to read people losing their mojo at AB... when that's the album that grabbed me, made me a fan. But I guess a lot of the people who were with the band early on were worried about this change in direction, eh?
I would say, my biggest ever WTF moment regarding u2, came when i heard the opening seconds of the very first AB track i ever heard. I was gobsmakced...the impact that the opening of Zoo Station had....for a fan at that time....was indescribeable. To go from Rattle and hum to that, wow....it was truly unbelievable

Yeah, I think in order for someone to understand how much of a sucker-punch AB was they needed to have been a big fan during at least part of the '80s. Stumbling upon their catalogue all at once won't do justice to AB's uniqueness.
These statement's could not be truer. I started following them in the JT/R&H phase because they were the antithesis of the hair metal that my friends were into, but I was in junior high/early high school at the time. When AB came out, I expected more of the same. This was pre-internet and we didn't have cable so I wasn't able to follow all of the MTV hype surrounding the release. My then boyfriend (now husband) bought me the cassette as a gift, and I remember sitting there completely shocked, but in the best way, by what I was hearing. It truly was a departure from what they had done just a few short years earlier. AB is still my favorite ablbum. Sadly, I missed the ZooTV spectacle. They hit Chicago just weeks before my 17th birthday, and after having lost my mom earlier that year, my dad was not willing to let me make the trip into the city with friends who were going. I still to this day regret missing it especially since I've missed so many other tours since then. ( I guess I'm a late 1st generation fan too :).)

satellitedog01

« Reply #115 on: February 21, 2012, 05:26:26 PM »
Well I could be a really late first gen fan too, only I didn't know it was U2 whose music I loved :-) As I've written elsewhere, at 7 we were driving to Istria by the Adriatic sea, in the summer of '87 (my first time to see any sea) and in the car we had a charts comp. cassette with Rick Astley (exactly that song), Travelling Wilburys, Michael Jackson's Bad, Moonlight Shadow, Tell Me Lies, Wonderful Life by Black and With Or Without You, and WOWY was the song that stuck with me.

I started to actively look for the name U2 after I saw the buffalo video to One on MTV Europe at 12, and it turned out they wrote WOWY. Then there was a U2 weekend, and the history mix had a short snippet of Pride, and an even shorter one of Bad from Live Aid, and the mistery thickened, and I was hooked. I had to wait a long time to hear those songs in full as I didn't know their discography, and had no access to record stores for two more years. All I had was MTV and other channels.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #116 on: February 21, 2012, 06:11:21 PM »
I'm the same way. I had heard Pride before (I have vivid memories of it as the background song for a period of my life), and i later knew WOWY.. And ISHFWLF ans Streets. And I swear I have vague memories of having heard With A Shout somewhere... And I also remember hearing NYD on the radio on a New Year's Eve in middle school. But I never connected this all as the same band until after I bought AB (also on cassette --still have it) and explored U2's back catalog....

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #117 on: February 21, 2012, 06:16:41 PM »

I'm an example of that.. :(

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #118 on: February 21, 2012, 11:36:36 PM »
Well I could be a really late first gen fan too, only I didn't know it was U2 whose music I loved :-) As I've written elsewhere, at 7 we were driving to Istria by the Adriatic sea, in the summer of '87 (my first time to see any sea) and in the car we had a charts comp. cassette with Rick Astley (exactly that song), Travelling Wilburys, Michael Jackson's Bad, Moonlight Shadow, Tell Me Lies, Wonderful Life by Black and With Or Without You, and WOWY was the song that stuck with me.

I started to actively look for the name U2 after I saw the buffalo video to One on MTV Europe at 12, and it turned out they wrote WOWY. Then there was a U2 weekend, and the history mix had a short snippet of Pride, and an even shorter one of Bad from Live Aid, and the mistery thickened, and I was hooked. I had to wait a long time to hear those songs in full as I didn't know their discography, and had no access to record stores for two more years. All I had was MTV and other channels.

You got Rick-rolled!

satellitedog01

« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2012, 03:50:53 AM »
Yeah, but I actually like that song. :-) Astley has (don't know if still) a great voice.