Author Topic: Lost your U2 mojo?  (Read 18470 times)

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
Re: Lost your U2 mojo?
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2012, 02:59:23 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So wait, just curious, are considering 1st gen fans to be 80's, 2nd gen 90's, and 3rd gen 00's?

If that's the case, I would be a very late 1st-gen fan.  AB was the first album I was already "on-board" for, but it was JT that had originally made me a fan sometime around 1989.

Well, Mars Girl called herself 2G because AB was what got her into U2, but it was my own Huxleyan nomenclature that translated this into Alphas, Betas, and Gammas.

PS - Just having a bit of fun is all.

Fair enough.  Just checking.

(I could, I suppose see a case made for fans who discovered U2 before JT blew up huge--everthing after that is kind of after they hit the mainstream, and thus a bit "easier" to get into.  No college radio or hip friend necessary!  Maybe a generation 0.5 for those lucky folks.  :))

Offline KitCat

• Precious Stone
  • looking for a way up
« Reply #121 on: February 23, 2012, 10:21:08 AM »
So how do I classify in this scheme?

I liked the songs from JT, R'n'H and AB when they were played on the radio right from a kid, I just didn't know they were U2 until my "awakening" after ATYCLB. I was a first gen fan in the 80s, just didn't know it. :P

Ok, I'm just trying to weasel my way out of saying I'm 3G.  :D

Sugarcube

« Reply #122 on: February 24, 2012, 12:02:15 PM »

IMO U2 are victims of their own success. What made Bono so passionate and brilliant in the 80's and early 90's has turned into Bono being incredibly irritating in the 2000's.

Musically, they try hard but it's just not happening anymore. Perhaps the problem is that they have nothing to aim for now. They can't get any bigger. If someone cut them down to size I guarantee they would pull something brilliant out of the bag.

Offline JonD

• Stateless
« Reply #123 on: February 24, 2012, 12:02:56 PM »
I remember liking SBS/NYD/Pride and Bad as a pre-teen after being exposed to them by my older cousins.  I, like many 16 year olds in 1987 became a big fan of JT and RH- but it was Achtung that propelled me into my love of all things U2 (the late 80s/90s are my favourite era:  RH to Pop).  I guess I'm first gen too.  Although I am not as "active" as I once was during the pre-internet bootleg/cd single days .  An unofficial treasure of mine is a bootleg called "Zoo Europa"- Dublin 1993 bootleg- and I really was hoping the Deluxe editions would include that show but oh well.  I will always buy the singles/albums etc on the day of release.  In many ways it connects me to the excitement of my youth.  (btw I did like most songs off No Line).  Thanks for the walk down nostalgia lane!
Jon :)

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #124 on: February 24, 2012, 12:15:23 PM »
Musically, they try hard but it's just not happening anymore. Perhaps the problem is that they have nothing to aim for now. They can't get any bigger. If someone cut them down to size I guarantee they would pull something brilliant out of the bag.

I think that, despite the success of 360*, they kind of have been cut down to size, and Bono knows it. It has been a long time since a U2 album disappeared from the public's consciousness as quickly as NLOTH did. Whether they can pull off an amazing comeback is anyone's guess, but I do remain a bit skeptical (not about their being able to make an amazing album, but about whether it will propel them back into "relevance").

Sugarcube

« Reply #125 on: February 24, 2012, 12:21:40 PM »

I think that, despite the success of 360*, they kind of have been cut down to size, and Bono knows it. It has been a long time since a U2 album disappeared from the public's consciousness as quickly as NLOTH did. Whether they can pull off an amazing comeback is anyone's guess, but I do remain a bit skeptical (not about their being able to make an amazing album, but about whether it will propel them back into "relevance").

Agreed - being relevant is irrelevant. I don't know why they care about being relevant. Maybe that's the problem

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #126 on: February 24, 2012, 12:37:55 PM »

Agreed - being relevant is irrelevant. I don't know why they care about being relevant. Maybe that's the problem

I think that the problem isn't being relevant or not, rather, how the band decides to define relevance.

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #127 on: February 25, 2012, 07:19:00 AM »
I was listening to Miracle Drug last night and realized how good U2
is.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #128 on: February 25, 2012, 10:37:20 AM »
is.

Right on! One of my favorite U2 songs!

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #129 on: February 25, 2012, 11:30:14 AM »

I think relevance is a state of mind.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #130 on: February 25, 2012, 11:54:28 AM »

I think relevance is a state of mind.

Bono: "I thought relevance wasn't real?"

Morpheus: "Your mind makes it real."

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #131 on: February 25, 2012, 11:59:54 AM »
is.

I was listening to A Sort of Homecoming and realized how good U2 were.

satellitedog01

« Reply #132 on: February 25, 2012, 12:58:08 PM »
Thank you JT.

mariamontreal

« Reply #133 on: February 25, 2012, 02:01:28 PM »
They are going to have to rethink it all over again , will they ? They are their own biggest competitors . Tour wise it will have to be scaled down, how much bigger can they get? Musically , they could still blow our socks off and they have the ingenuity in them . Very curious to see what lies ahead.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #134 on: February 25, 2012, 02:23:39 PM »
They are going to have to rethink it all over again , will they ? They are their own biggest competitors . Tour wise it will have to be scaled down, how much bigger can they get? Musically , they could still blow our socks off and they have the ingenuity in them . Very curious to see what lies ahead.

It all depends on how much money they want to make.