Author Topic: Lost your U2 mojo?  (Read 18339 times)

Offline Monicalea

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I don't care, I'm claiming it!
Re: Lost your U2 mojo?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 11:30:56 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Peaks and troughs, peaks and troughs.

Yep.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 12:00:48 PM »
I've never really lost my U2 mojo. In fact, it's increased over the years, especially this last summer when I went to six shows. This band has always been the emotional spirit that backs a lot of my own ups and downs in life. Several of their songs have lifted me out of the pit of despair.... I have an emotional attachment to this band that cannot be removed.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 12:40:06 PM »
After a great run of a lot of good to very good new songs on every new album (non-album singles included), U2 hit a low with "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb". This album is a complete downer. I tried hard to like it. Only years after its release, I found that it is good music for hangovers and that the running order of the tracks just does not work at all. Also, the non-inclusion of "Smile", "Fast Cars" and the original "Mercy" is bewildering given what songs made the cut.

They have only halfway recovered from their songwiting slump with their next album "No Line On the Horizon" which suffered from the same problem of catering to the needs of format radio and putting on songs created during the mixing process from leftover tracks such as "Cedars" reportedly and the overture of "Fez / Being Born" which references "Get On Your Boots".
Luckily, there are quite a few winners amongst the songs on that album.

But now, they are taking 5 years again until their next 10 songs are being released. Have they gotten tired of making new music or are their labelheads too greedy and don't want to pay their huge advances more often?

Offline U2OnceAgain

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 02:37:02 PM »
I have lost my U2 mojo for sure. There was a time when I would listen to them daily and be excited to hear something about them on the news. This was way back when they weren't so overexposed. Now I still listen to their stuff regularly but I don't have the need to have everything they put out, I haven't bought the Actung Baby box set because I am sick of the money machine they have become.

Also I find I am really sick and tired of Bono. I love the music and the lyrics and love them live but I am so tired of his incessant preaching. When I was at the Vertigo tour all he did was preach, people were actually shouting "shut up and sing" and I think that sums it all up. We were paying 300.00 per ticket to hear a concert not to be preached to.

I kind of hope they take some time off and go back in seclusion and come back out without all the fanfare and just be a rock band again.

InThisHeartland

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 05:06:24 PM »
Oh no, of course not.

Nothing says "relevance" more than a 50 year old guy wearing eyeliner and talking about getting more radio airplay.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Bono should french Bieber like he did Liam back in the day. That would propel U2 to relevance, I bet.

Not the kind of relevance I want to be anywhere near :D

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 05:18:01 PM »
Oh no, of course not.

Nothing says "relevance" more than a 50 year old guy wearing eyeliner and talking about getting more radio airplay.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Bono should french Bieber like he did Liam back in the day. That would propel U2 to relevance, I bet.

Bono would only anger Selena Gomez.

The girl is probably 4 times as strong as Bieber anyway.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2012, 06:41:14 PM »
Oh no, of course not.

Hey, we don't dictate to almighty Relevance, almighty Relevance dictates to us.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, 06:47:01 PM »
Peaks and troughs, peaks and troughs.

Yep.

+2

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2012, 06:57:22 PM »
Oh no, of course not.

Hey, we don't dictate to almighty Relevance, almighty Relevance dictates to us.

In that case my tastes are far from relevant now.

InThisHeartland

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2012, 07:15:58 PM »
Oh I was just thinking about the almost pedophile-ness of that, and how not all publicity is good publicity

satellitedog01

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2012, 04:30:23 AM »
I lost my interest in them as a live band on 360, and have little faith in them coming up with a masterpiece album anymore.
I'm mostly a '90s U2 fan, having become one at age 12 when ZooTV ruled the earth. Pop was their last high water mark for me, from an artistic point of view, and I was the right age not to be disappointed by ATYCLB at the time of its release, although I had problems with it, and never thought of it as a classic album, more like a filler, in-between great albums.

Bomb was a clear let down with the by numbers mentality, but I still went to gigs, as my first one was on Elevation, and Zoo Station was a must hear, and it worked well live too.

Horizon did not convince me, and I dropped it after a couple of months of listening, didn't even want to go to a show, as I felt no originality or power present at the gigs, with the rock element pared down badly and ATYCLB represented beyond its merits.
I'm likely not the only one let down by the clear compromise Horizon represents as an album, and that's a heavier hit than the two mediocre albums preceding it. I'm no longer sure they can release an artistic record (as in uncompromising and running with a musical idea) in fear of losing market ground.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2012, 06:40:25 AM »
I've a preference for 80's U2 and first became a fan when my sister brought home the War album. I lost my U2Mojo on PoP. Wasn't sure if it was because i overdosed on the whole Zoo TV/Zooropa thing but I was so disappointed that I didn't attend a show - the first and only tour I've missed since i first saw them on the War Tour and to this day I truly regret. I still struggle with PoP though like a fine wine it has grown better with age. Bomb nearly sent me there but unlike a lot of the forum No Line caught my attention (possibly because I see is in a way as a 00's 80's album if that makes any sense!)

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
  • You gotta hold on baby to my special feature
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2012, 07:53:41 AM »
From 2000 to 2005 I really dropped off the wagon.

My excitement post 1998 was so high that it just came crashing down with the release of ATYCLB. I stopped listening to them - although they're not a band I listen to a lot of these days either (outside when albums get released). I don't have U2 CDs in my car.

Bomb drew me back in, not Vertigo, but Original of the Species and Sometimes You Can't Make It, specifically.

Passengers and Pop had given me such hope, and ATYCLB just disappointed me so much.

it may have been different had elevation toured Australia... perhaps... not sure.

But I just wasn't that interested. I got into lots of other stuff, both old and new, from bands I found more interesting in that 5 year period. 

pretty much agree with this though I didn't like HTDAAB. I thought NLOTH was a step in the right direction but still too many of the slow, dirgy songs with oh oh ohs that have been a feature of a lot of 00s U2.

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2012, 08:58:40 AM »
Live I will always enjoy them, but the thing now is that we'll never see them touring with an actual "theme" in mind. That's the focal point of why I find Zoo TV and Popmart so incredibly great compared to anything else. Both had common themes that reflected throughout the show, and it made it that much better to see.

360 was nowhere close to what NLOTH should have been played at, so obviously the songs didn't work out terribly great.

I would love the band to get creative and tour with a message again, a general theme to the public like the days of the 90s. It's funny because Zoo TV and Popmart's themes seem even more relevant now than ever before.

Offline KitCat

• Precious Stone
  • looking for a way up
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2012, 09:23:19 AM »
I would love the band to get creative and tour with a message again, a general theme to the public like the days of the 90s. It's funny because Zoo TV and Popmart's themes seem even more relevant now than ever before.

But they wouldn't go back over ground they've already covered, so what theme do they really have left which is relevant these days. The way I see it, they already cover the overriding main issues of today: war/terrorism/hate/violence etc and the pursuit of social justice and equality. Problem is, if they expand on these issues too far it'll be artistic suicide, they're already being accused of being too preachy. So what do we have left?