Author Topic: Lost your U2 mojo?  (Read 18492 times)

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
Re: Lost your U2 mojo?
« Reply #150 on: February 28, 2012, 02:00:40 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
ASOH it's quite difficult to place in the U2 canon as it was a very short period of experimentation when it was written. TUF was necessarily a one-off high in their art.
There aren't any songs like it past TUF, maybe Streets can be viewed as a poppy relative of Homecoming, and before it there's nothing as grandiose, open and inspired. They haven't gone back to that looseness and freedom later on, instead perfecting their pop songwriting skills.

Pretty spot-on.  I think there might have been a conscious effort with NLOTH--specifically Fez--to return to some of their UF experimentation, but came nowhere near succeeding like they originally had.  Other than that, maybe a few pieces from Zooropa and Passengers echoed UF.  But not many, certainly.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #151 on: February 28, 2012, 03:02:09 PM »
MOS isn't close to ASOH. It's too long, samey, has no bridge and has very cheesy lyrics.

MoS would be ruined if it had a bridge - the song's based on stark contrasts (the anguished vocals over the mellow music and the gospel chorus coming unexpectedly), so a transition would have detracted from that. ASOH doesn't have particularly interesting lyrics, just the same vague platitudes that are found in lots of their anthems.

satellitedog01

« Reply #152 on: February 28, 2012, 03:31:19 PM »
ASOH it's quite difficult to place in the U2 canon as it was a very short period of experimentation when it was written. TUF was necessarily a one-off high in their art.
There aren't any songs like it past TUF, maybe Streets can be viewed as a poppy relative of Homecoming, and before it there's nothing as grandiose, open and inspired. They haven't gone back to that looseness and freedom later on, instead perfecting their pop songwriting skills.

Pretty spot-on.  I think there might have been a conscious effort with NLOTH--specifically Fez--to return to some of their UF experimentation, but came nowhere near succeeding like they originally had.  Other than that, maybe a few pieces from Zooropa and Passengers echoed UF.  But not many, certainly.

Agree on Passengers and Zooropa sharing the same opennes, and I think they succeeded with those albums, just like they succeeded similarly with Pop (in a very well amalgamated effort), their drive and temperament have changed fundamentally though. They were still very green going into writing TUF, and just starting to use their brains as artists (not songwriters) I think. As for NLOTH, I think Fez (the sessions in Fez, not just the song) was intended as a similar reset to TUF. It ended up less succesful in turning the vessel around, but the intentions were right.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #153 on: February 28, 2012, 04:07:35 PM »

Agree on Passengers and Zooropa sharing the same opennes, and I think they succeeded with those albums, just like they succeeded similarly with Pop (in a very well amalgamated effort), their drive and temperament have changed fundamentally though. They were still very green going into writing TUF, and just starting to use their brains as artists (not songwriters) I think. As for NLOTH, I think Fez (the sessions in Fez, not just the song) was intended as a similar reset to TUF. It ended up less succesful in turning the vessel around, but the intentions were right.

I wish we could hear what they were doing in those sessions.

satellitedog01

« Reply #154 on: February 28, 2012, 04:46:03 PM »
I guess the melodies would be similar to what they released, but without the edges sanded off, exciting rhythmic exploration, more organic delivery, all without the polyester sheen.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #155 on: February 28, 2012, 05:23:02 PM »
MOS isn't close to ASOH. It's too long, samey, has no bridge and has very cheesy lyrics.

MoS would be ruined if it had a bridge - the song's based on stark contrasts (the anguished vocals over the mellow music and the gospel chorus coming unexpectedly), so a transition would have detracted from that. ASOH doesn't have particularly interesting lyrics, just the same vague platitudes that are found in lots of their anthems.

MOS is a borderline dirge. A bridge might make it more interesting.

Anyone who likes a song with "ATM Machine" in the lyrics really is in no position to criticize any other songs' lyrics.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #156 on: February 28, 2012, 05:39:07 PM »
I'm in a position to criticize what I want if it's all the same to you.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #157 on: February 28, 2012, 06:22:45 PM »
I like the allusions to modern technology which is around us all the time. I identify with this lyric cuz I remember a moment at my most worse after my husband died where I was t an ATM machine and I happened to look up and in my reflection on the metal I saw for the first time how truly terrible I felt... And I realized that's how the rest of the world saw me. That song is a dirge and I identify with it because I've been that low and own and out. The song reflects the sense of isolation one feels at a time when they are that depressed and low.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #158 on: February 28, 2012, 07:00:48 PM »
"Automatic Teller Machine Machine"

bwahahaha!!!!!

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #159 on: February 28, 2012, 07:12:39 PM »
I call it an 'ATM Machine' and I've heard others call it an ATM Machine.

Really though, it's nitpicking if that is a reason why somebody doesn't like the song.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #160 on: February 28, 2012, 07:55:40 PM »

Really though, it's nitpicking if that is a reason why somebody doesn't like the song.

Nope.What I said was "It's too long, samey, has no bridge and has very cheesy lyrics. "

Not a patch on ASOH

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #161 on: February 28, 2012, 08:24:10 PM »
The curious thing I find about the lengthy playing time of MOS is that it doesn't seem that long whenever I listen to it.  I find it self-contained, atmospheric, but strangely sterile.  A modern U2 classic - but not very lovable.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #162 on: February 29, 2012, 06:34:53 AM »
I was listening to Miracle Drug last night and realized how good U2
is.

I was listening to A Sort of Homecoming and realized how good U2 were.

Whenever I listen to songs like ASOH, I realize making great rock music is largely a young man's game.

So if U2 only formed now and came up with a song like ASOH you wouldnt like?

U2 haven't come up with a song as great as ASOH for many many years.

And did you notice in my original post I said 'making great rock music is largely a young man's game.'

Forgive...but doesnt matter whether its largely or not. The question was related to age and rock and I was just wondering what your opinion was largely around that?  :)

Offline AchtungPiano

• Elevated
  • I'm too lazy to change this photo
« Reply #163 on: February 29, 2012, 06:58:52 AM »
I would say I periodically stop listening to U2, but less because I'm tired of them, and more because I prefer listening to a variety of music!

Although (and you all will kill me for this) I do probably listen to Coldplay more. But that's probably because Mylo Xyloto JUST came out. When No Line came out, I listened to lots of U2. When The Suburbs came out, I listened to lots of Arcade Fire. That's how it works with me.

Sugarcube

« Reply #164 on: March 01, 2012, 08:40:20 AM »

ATM is an American term. In the United Kingdom of Great Britain and England, people call them cash points or cash machines.

Rest room is an American term. In the United Kingdom of Great Britain and England, people call them toilets or cottages.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 08:44:25 AM by Sugarcube »