Author Topic: Lost your U2 mojo?  (Read 18320 times)

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
Re: Lost your U2 mojo?
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2012, 09:35:14 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I would love the band to get creative and tour with a message again, a general theme to the public like the days of the 90s. It's funny because Zoo TV and Popmart's themes seem even more relevant now than ever before.

But they wouldn't go back over ground they've already covered, so what theme do they really have left which is relevant these days. The way I see it, they already cover the overriding main issues of today: war/terrorism/hate/violence etc and the pursuit of social justice and equality. Problem is, if they expand on these issues too far it'll be artistic suicide, they're already being accused of being too preachy. So what do we have left?

Making music from the heart rather than from the "what will sell/get played?" mentality ?

Jara

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2012, 09:57:19 AM »
I guess i have maybe lost my u2 LIVE mojo a little. I feel totally unmoved by the 360 tour. I found it to be full of bland and uninspiring (going thro the motions) performances. I have watched my Rose Bowl 360 DVD once and dont have much desire to see it again.So much do i not like the tour...i actually rate it as my least liked u2 tour i have ever seen (seen all tours since Unforgettable fire)....and thats solely down to the way songs were performed. For me.....u2 are becoming a spent force live. Studio wise, im still loving them, though, i would love to see them push the envelope again
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 10:07:45 AM by Smee »

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2012, 10:09:35 AM »
Wow. I thought their performances on 360 were mainly outstanding. But the Rose Bowl DVD does in fact suck. It's lifeless. I've watched it once and probably wont watch it again. I would prefer some of the fan-made multi-cams... They have one of Denver (which was one of the shows I was at).

The energy of both the fans and U2 at the East Lansing, Nashville, and Pittsburgh shows was remarkable. In Pittsburgh, I was brought speechless by their performance of The Fly. Oh well. To each his own, I guess.

Jara

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2012, 10:27:04 AM »
Wow. I thought their performances on 360 were mainly outstanding.

What other tours do you have to compare them to?

Im afraid...that compared to every other tour i have witnessed.....musically and vocally....i think u2 have never sounded so ordinary as they did on the 360 tour. The NLOTH songs were good........everything else....has long since seen its best performances.

Jara

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2012, 10:30:07 AM »
In fact....to nail it down further, i would say Bonos vocal was the main culprit, although, i do think the way the oldies sound now ( i refer to the sounds edge usues on songs, the way larry hits the drums, the modified basslines adam plays) isnt as appealing to my ear as once they were

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2012, 10:34:01 AM »
Okay, fine. The only other show I've been to is the Elevation Tour. Everything else I've only seen on DVD (I would love to have been at Red Rocks... alas, I was 8).

But I dont think rank should be pulled on me since I've only seen shows on two tours personally.

Jara

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2012, 10:45:04 AM »
Now now...dont be so defensive...i was only intrested in knowing what tours you had witnessed in person to compare the 360 tour against.
Personally speaking....although not my fave tour, and despite the fact it was indoor (im not usually a fan of indoor, but starting to realise its appeal) I would say that the Elevation tour BLEW 360 out of the water...on every level (but most imptrtantly...MUSICALLY)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 10:47:48 AM by Smee »

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2012, 10:59:43 AM »
I admit that my one show on the Elevation Tour was more magical than my experiences on 360... But that may be because I lost my husband just weeks before seeing U2 in 2001... Therefore, I was in a sad place at the time... and that show was a very healing moment for me in that very long, scary, sad year. So I think I am more attached to the Elevation Tour because the songs from ATYCLB were kind of a dirge for my grieving... And the show had a very personal feeling for me. I was in the second row in seats... I was going to bail on the show (because I didnt feel like I could go, depression and all) but my friends forced me to go. And I'm so glad they did!

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2012, 11:02:57 AM »
See even The Elevation tour had meaning. They were ditching the rock and roll glam of the 90s and going back to smaller venues. They wanted to get situated and intimate with their audience again, and they did.

Granted, there were moments on 360 where I was like WOW, like Zooropa and even most performances of Moment of Surrender. But overall it didn't seem overly special in meaning.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2012, 11:13:37 AM »
Elevation, to me, felt like a personal little club (though in an arena). I love the version of The Fly they were doing then. The shows became even more emotional after 9/11. U2 was unwittingly (without trying) relevant during that tour. I still think ATYCLB is a fantastic album. I like it more now than I did then. Say what you will, but those songs have a lot of heart... They are all very emotional and I dont feel like they were trying too hard.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2012, 11:32:13 AM »
Elevation, to me, felt like a personal little club (though in an arena). I love the version of The Fly they were doing then. The shows became even more emotional after 9/11. U2 was unwittingly (without trying) relevant during that tour. I still think ATYCLB is a fantastic album. I like it more now than I did then. Say what you will, but those songs have a lot of heart... They are all very emotional and I dont feel like they were trying too hard.

Everything they played during Elevation sounded great. You could sense that they were playing from their hearts on those shows.

Jara

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2012, 11:40:51 AM »

Everything they played during Elevation sounded great. You could sense that they were playing from their hearts on those shows.
There were some great version of more esablished songs on the tour, and all in all, the elevation tour ranks 3rd for me, in my fave u2 tour list. but for me......SOME of the oldies started their decline about this time, and they have never recovered. To me....its almost as if the band..but certainly Bono, got BORED rigid of performing the songs. The songs just lack ooomph now

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2012, 02:37:59 PM »
Not to pile on the 360 tour complaints, but I personally disliked the whole stage design in terms of presenting a rock band.  Maybe it was the general size of it, but the circular walkway and ramps just seemed to mostly divide the band, so instead of looking at a team of four guys who are engaged with each other--or even three guys together while Bono goes off and jumps in the crowd or something--you were reduced to seeing, sort of....oh, there's Edge.......oh Bono's over there.......hey, here comes Adam.....etc.  From my angle, it was rare to see the band playing together, physically.  (Maybe this was more a problem with where my seat was than anything else.)  I know it's an odd complaint, given their previous stage designs and scale, but I realized that I prefer seeing a rock band sort of looking like....a rock band.  Four guys against the world.  Facing you.  Or each other.  It's a small thing, but something I became aware of.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2012, 04:49:09 PM »
never lost it, and there's pretty much no chance that I will. here's 2 reasons why:

1)  I've spent 10 years putting all my really critical faculties into my own work, so when I listen to U2 (or anyone else) it's all about a exciting and/or fun listening experience.

2)   It's been over a decade since I had a period of listening to any U2 album obsessively...or again, to any music by other people.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2012, 05:29:11 PM »
I'm not the rabid fan I used to be when I'd go into record shops and hunt for U2 bootlegs like I did when I was 20.

U2 are older and i'm older. I'm in my mid 30's, I have a wife and kid, I have a company to look after, etc.. U2 just are not as important to me as they used to be. I also think that U2 is not as important to U2 as they used to be. They have families and company's to look after also. The band doesn't come 1st anymore. Bono used to put everything he had into singing songs like One, With or Without You, Bad, Pride, etc.. He just doesn't go to that emotional place with those songs like he used to. At the end of the day, I'll always have those bootlegs to remind me how special they really were in their prime.